DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Report: What to expect when asking DJI to buy a replacement Mavic Air 2 aircraft

Thmoore

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I suffered a catastrophic aircraft loss of my Mavic Air 2 aircraft last weekend, due entirely to operator error. I don't want to get into details, but for a split second there, I'd really wished I'd taken up remote-controlled submarines as a hobby.

It is a total loss (one which, I will note, had nothing to do delivering beers). The aircraft was unrecoverable without risking more equipment and the possible drowning of one or more people – and not even the family members who most deserve it.

But that's not my point here. My point here is that I's like to share the experience I had with DJI when I asked about buying a replacement from them. I'm not mad about how it turned out, but I was a little surprised and disappointed. And others might benefit from knowing what to expect.

After a few rounds of emails over a few days, DJI sent me an invoice for a new aircraft: $554, plus $7 shipping. This is the aircraft with nothing else except the gimbal camera, which was nice of them to throw in, I guess, especially since it's attached.

Presumably, they'd also throw in the gimbal cover (which is the only part of the old aircraft I still have – hmmm... perhaps I should have sent that in for a DJI Care Refresh claim: "It's all that remains of the aircraft.")

So, to get that replacement aircraft in the air, I would need to spend $115 to replace the battery, and some propellers ($20 or so). That totals $689 (not including the shipping).

A spanking-new retail-package Mavic Air 2 is $799 – just $110 less – which includes another remote, the battery charger, an extra pair of propellers, all the connecting cables, and a few other things – the value of which is hard to say exactly, but certainly more than $110.

DJI was basically asking me to pay more for the aircraft than I did when I bought it the first time (as part of the larger package). I inquired about whether there was any discount to be had, and was told no, no discount was immediately available, but that my request could be forwarded off to another office for consideration.

On top of that, it was going to take 5-7 days for DJI to process the order, not including shipping (and not including any time it might take to be given a discount). That was a killer for me.

So I decided to go for the new retail package. It can't hurt to have another charger, and I'd be really mad if I killed my controller somehow in the next few months and had to shell out $160 for a new one. And there's enough value in the other stuff, I think.

It would have been nice if DJI had taken a little mercy on me and given me a bit of a break on the aircraft. Do I deserve such a thing? No. And they're in the business of selling drones, not discounting them. But it would have been nice – it kind of feels like they set a high price on this because they suspect I'm a captive customer, which I totally am. (And in the end, I really stuck it to them by paying even more money for the full retail package.)

Side note: I've seen lots of talk about State Farm covering drones, and I have State Farm, and indeed my coverage specifically does cover hobbyist aircraft. But there's a $2,000 deductible, which means I would have had to crash my $557 drone into my car and set it on fire in order to have any sort of insurance claim.

Anyway! Just wanted to lay this out for people so they'll know what to expect from DJI if they require a similar replacement.

I'll put this in a free-standing post so not everyone has to read through all this but: I now have 2 spare micro-USB remote cables and 2 spare USB-C remote cables. If anyone would like one and is willing to send me a self-addressed stamped envelope, please message me and I'll be happy to get that going. And if anyone has smashed their remote controller and would like a loaner that I would recall only if I smashed my own remote, please feel free to get in touch.

Last edited:
I suffered a catastrophic aircraft loss of my Mavic Air 2 aircraft last weekend, due entirely to operator error. I don't want to get into details, but for a split second there, I'd really wished I'd taken up remote-controlled submarines as a hobby.

It is a total loss (one which, I will note, had nothing to do delivering beers). The aircraft was unrecoverable without risking more equipment and the possible drowning of one or more people – and not even the family members who most deserve it.

But that's not my point here. My point here is that I's like to share the experience I had with DJI when I asked about buying a replacement from them. I'm not mad about how it turned out, but I was a little surprised and disappointed. And others might benefit from knowing what to expect.

After a few rounds of emails over a few days, DJI sent me an invoice for a new aircraft: $554, plus $7 shipping. This is the aircraft with nothing else except the gimbal camera, which was nice of them to throw in, I guess, especially since it's attached.

Presumably, they'd also throw in the gimbal cover (which is the only part of the old aircraft I still have – hmmm... perhaps I should have sent that in for a DJI Care Refresh claim: "It's all that remains of the aircraft.")

So, to get that replacement aircraft in the air, I would need to spend $115 to replace the battery, and some propellers ($20 or so). That totals $689 (not including the shipping).

A spanking-new retail-package Mavic Air 2 is $799 – just $110 less – which includes another remote, the battery charger, an extra pair of propellers, all the connecting cables, and a few other things – the value of which is hard to say exactly, but certainly more than $110.

DJI was basically asking me to pay more for the aircraft than I did when I bought it the first time (as part of the larger package). I inquired about whether there was any discount to be had, and was told no, no discount was immediately available, but that my request could be forwarded off to another office for consideration.

On top of that, it was going to take 5-7 days for DJI to process the order, not including shipping (and not including any time it might take to be given a discount). That was a killer for me.

So I decided to go for the new retail package. It can't hurt to have another charger, and I'd be really mad if I killed my controller somehow in the next few months and had to shell out $160 for a new one. And there's enough value in the other stuff, I think.

It would have been nice if DJI had taken a little mercy on me and given me a bit of a break on the aircraft. Do I deserve such a thing? No. And they're in the business of selling drones, not discounting them. But it would have been nice – it kind of feels like they set a high price on this because they suspect I'm a captive customer, which I totally am. (And in the end, I really stuck it to them by paying even more money for the full retail package.)

Side note: I've seen lots of talk about State Farm covering drones, and I have State Farm, and indeed my coverage specifically does cover hobbyist aircraft. But there's a $2,000 deductible, which means I would have had to crash my $557 drone into my car and set it on fire in order to have any sort of insurance claim.

Anyway! Just wanted to lay this out for people so they'll know what to expect from DJI if they require a similar replacement.

I'll put this in a free-standing post so not everyone has to read through all this but: I now have 2 spare micro-USB remote cables and 2 spare USB-C remote cables. If anyone would like one and is willing to send me a self-addressed stamped envelope, please message me and I'll be happy to get that going. And if anyone has smashed their remote controller and would like a loaner that I would recall only if I smashed my own remote, please feel free to get in touch.
Thank you!!! I've been wondering about that. Pricing on these things seem to be pretty much fixed across the board. I half figured they would gouge on a drone only purchase.

Reactions: Thmoore

I guess I just can’t really think of a situation where I lost something or totally destroyed something where I would expect the manufacturer to help me out in any way.

If I lost my phone would I expect or even hope Apple would sell me a discounted one??

no

If I dropped my camera in the lake would I expect or even hope Sony would sell me a discounted one?

no

If I totaled my car but the and tires and wheels were just fine would I expect or even hope for VW sell me a new car without the wheels?

no

I guess I just don’t see where you are coming from that you had any hope much less an expectation that DJI would do anything for you at all. They actually did allow you to purchase a drone without a controller which would have saved you over $100.

I’m not a huge fan of DJI the company but I just don’t understand what you were expecting and what experiences with other electronics manufacturers or any other manufacturer that would leave you disappointed. I’m shocked they even have an option to purchase a drone only. Good for them.

I guess I just can’t really think of a situation where I lost something or totally destroyed something where I would expect the manufacturer to help me out in any way.

If I lost my phone would I expect or even hope Apple would sell me a discounted one??

no

If I dropped my camera in the lake would I expect or even hope Sony would sell me a discounted one?

no

If I totaled my car but the and tires and wheels were just fine would I expect or even hope for VW sell me a new car without the wheels?

no

I guess I just don’t see where you are coming from that you had any hope much less an expectation that DJI would do anything for you at all. They actually did allow you to purchase a drone without a controller which would have saved you over $100.

I’m not a huge fan of DJI the company but I just don’t understand what you were expecting and what experiences with other electronics manufacturers or any other manufacturer that would leave you disappointed. I’m shocked they even have an option to purchase a drone only. Good for them.

Hi..I was wondering why you would be shocked to buy just a drone only? per your message "I’m shocked they even have an option to purchase a drone only. Good for them." because I was thinking of perhaps buying a spare drone only myself.....?

Hi..I was wondering why you would be shocked to buy just a drone only? per your message "I’m shocked they even have an option to purchase a drone only. Good for them." because I was thinking of perhaps buying a spare drone only myself.....?
I said I was shocked they offered to sell a drone only to the OP because I would have expected them to only sell the drone as part of the retail package. Meaning it was a good deal for the OP.

I said I was shocked they offered to sell a drone only to the OP because I would have expected them to only sell the drone as part of the retail package. Meaning it was a good deal for the OP.
Oh, understood. I still would like to purchase a drone only, as a backup, but not if the price is so close to the retail package that includes all the other peripherals.

This is why Refresh is your best option for $79 within 48 hours of activation!

Care Refresh wouldn't have helped OP: "The aircraft was unrecoverable". You only get a replacement with Care Refresh if you can send the old aircraft in.

Care Refresh wouldn't have helped OP: "The aircraft was unrecoverable". You only get a replacement with Care Refresh if you can send the old aircraft in.
Good point, although he might have been more motivated, if he had purchased Refresh.
"The aircraft was unrecoverable without risking more equipment and the possible drowning of one or more people – and not even the family members who most deserve it."
I abandoned a drowned aircraft in the surf at night because of no Refresh, when I would have otherwise have returned at dawn to try and recover it.

Last edited:

Chinese DON'T GIVE CREDITS OR DISCOUNTS !!! if you ever traveled to China before Covid 19 you would find they are hard people to deal with......

Good point, although he might have been more motivated, if he had purchased Refresh.
"The aircraft was unrecoverable without risking more equipment and the possible drowning of one or more people – and not even the family members who most deserve it."
I abandoned a drowned aircraft in the surf at night because of no Refresh, when I would have otherwise have returned at dawn to try and recover it.
Oh, the OP had Refresh, but he knew that the second the bird hit the water, Refresh was probably not going to save the day. It is just not easy to find things in water.

I hear you. But the lake this went into was not going to be any less deep or more clear the next morning. And I went diving for it long enough to spectacularly sunburn my entire upper body.

I really do wonder what would have happened if I’d sent in the gimbal cover as a Refresh claim.

Chinese DON'T GIVE CREDITS OR DISCOUNTS !!! if you ever traveled to China before Covid 19 you would find they are hard people to deal with......

Oh, there’s no need for that kind of thing here. A global company made a business decision. I’ve been on the short end of plenty of decisions tougher than this one made by companies based in America.

no

no

no

There is business value in keeping customers happy after you have spent a lot of money to acquire them. This seemed like an opportunity for DJI to do so with me, but it is one they declined to pursue.

My experience with other electronics manufacturers has indeed been different. Apple, in particular, has done a very good job of keeping me in the fold.

Years ago, I walked into an Apple Store with my week-old iPhone in hand, asking how I might be able to repair the screen I had badly scratched despite being very careful. The Genius looked at me, looked at my phone, took it, went in the back, came out with a new phone, handed it to me, and handed me paperwork that said “battery does not hold charge.“

As I said in the original post, I do not believe I deserved a discount, so I did not have an expectation that I would receive a discount, but I will plead guilty to hoping for one. It can be a cold world out there, but there is still room for hope.

Reactions: mmx233
This is why Refresh is your best option for $79 within 48 hours of activation!

Thank you! I agree that Refresh is a great deal, and I have been very happy when I’ve been able to send in bashed-up drones on a Refresh claim. But Refresh does not cover the loss of the entire aircraft. At all.

They are TERRIBLE at Customer Service. I bought the Mavic Air 2 package and ordered some extra accessories (Multi battery charger, prop holder etc.). When I received them I was away for a few weeks so did not open the package. When I returned home and opened up the box I discovered that I had ordered the extra parts for a Mavic MINI and not the Mavic Air 2. I tried to do a return on-line and it was not possible because there is a 2 week return policy. So I emailed and they denied it. I appealed and they said they "would send the request to a higher decision maker". They emailed back and said NO! WTF!!!

Reactions: MaxE1955!
I'm sorry about your bad luck especially after all your work with exploring methods of delivery of my favorite beverage. That was really noble of you.:)

Happy flying with your new drone...don't worry ..you'll forget all about this sad affair..You're the type that bounces back..I can tell

Reactions: Thmoore
Having been on the receiving end of DJI denied warranty claims, and being offered a "discount" on a refurbished aircraft alone, which meant I would still be paying more for it alone than the current available new price on a full retail package, I can empathize. Just decline the "generous" offer and buy another, at a bigger discount elsewhere! New extra battery, extra controller, and extra charger make it well worthwhile!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7