DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Report: What to expect when asking DJI to buy a replacement Mavic Air 2 aircraft

There is business value in keeping customers happy after you have spent a lot of money to acquire them. This seemed like an opportunity for DJI to do so with me, but it is one they declined to pursue.

My experience with other electronics manufacturers has indeed been different. Apple, in particular, has done a very good job of keeping me in the fold.

Years ago, I walked into an Apple Store with my week-old iPhone in hand, asking how I might be able to repair the screen I had badly scratched despite being very careful. The Genius looked at me, looked at my phone, took it, went in the back, came out with a new phone, handed it to me, and handed me paperwork that said “battery does not hold charge.“

As I said in the original post, I do not believe I deserved a discount, so I did not have an expectation that I would receive a discount, but I will plead guilty to hoping for one. It can be a cold world out there, but there is still room for hope.
You didn’t lose the phone so they were able to do warranty repairs. You lost the drone which is totally different. Tell Apple you lost your phone and would like to buy a discounted one and see what they say.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I suffered a catastrophic aircraft loss of my Mavic Air 2 aircraft last weekend, due entirely to operator error. I don't want to get into details, but for a split second there, I'd really wished I'd taken up remote-controlled submarines as a hobby.

It is a total loss (one which, I will note, had nothing to do delivering beers). The aircraft was unrecoverable without risking more equipment and the possible drowning of one or more people – and not even the family members who most deserve it.

But that's not my point here. My point here is that I's like to share the experience I had with DJI when I asked about buying a replacement from them. I'm not mad about how it turned out, but I was a little surprised and disappointed. And others might benefit from knowing what to expect.

After a few rounds of emails over a few days, DJI sent me an invoice for a new aircraft: $554, plus $7 shipping. This is the aircraft with nothing else except the gimbal camera, which was nice of them to throw in, I guess, especially since it's attached.

Presumably, they'd also throw in the gimbal cover (which is the only part of the old aircraft I still have – hmmm... perhaps I should have sent that in for a DJI Care Refresh claim: "It's all that remains of the aircraft.")

So, to get that replacement aircraft in the air, I would need to spend $115 to replace the battery, and some propellers ($20 or so). That totals $689 (not including the shipping).

A spanking-new retail-package Mavic Air 2 is $799 – just $110 less – which includes another remote, the battery charger, an extra pair of propellers, all the connecting cables, and a few other things – the value of which is hard to say exactly, but certainly more than $110.

DJI was basically asking me to pay more for the aircraft than I did when I bought it the first time (as part of the larger package). I inquired about whether there was any discount to be had, and was told no, no discount was immediately available, but that my request could be forwarded off to another office for consideration.

On top of that, it was going to take 5-7 days for DJI to process the order, not including shipping (and not including any time it might take to be given a discount). That was a killer for me.

So I decided to go for the new retail package. It can't hurt to have another charger, and I'd be really mad if I killed my controller somehow in the next few months and had to shell out $160 for a new one. And there's enough value in the other stuff, I think.

It would have been nice if DJI had taken a little mercy on me and given me a bit of a break on the aircraft. Do I deserve such a thing? No. And they're in the business of selling drones, not discounting them. But it would have been nice – it kind of feels like they set a high price on this because they suspect I'm a captive customer, which I totally am. (And in the end, I really stuck it to them by paying even more money for the full retail package.)

Side note: I've seen lots of talk about State Farm covering drones, and I have State Farm, and indeed my coverage specifically does cover hobbyist aircraft. But there's a $2,000 deductible, which means I would have had to crash my $557 drone into my car and set it on fire in order to have any sort of insurance claim.

Anyway! Just wanted to lay this out for people so they'll know what to expect from DJI if they require a similar replacement.

I'll put this in a free-standing post so not everyone has to read through all this but: I now have 2 spare micro-USB remote cables and 2 spare USB-C remote cables. If anyone would like one and is willing to send me a self-addressed stamped envelope, please message me and I'll be happy to get that going. And if anyone has smashed their remote controller and would like a loaner that I would recall only if I smashed my own remote, please feel free to get in touch.
The $2000 deductible is on your homeowners if you had gotten a personal property policy for your drone there would be no deductible.

You didn’t lose the phone so they were able to do warranty repairs. You lost the drone which is totally different. Tell Apple you lost your phone and would like to buy a discounted one and see what they say.
They would actually probably offer you a refurb. And there is an apple care that will cover loss.

I suffered a catastrophic aircraft loss of my Mavic Air 2 aircraft last weekend, due entirely to operator error. I don't want to get into details, but for a split second there, I'd really wished I'd taken up remote-controlled submarines as a hobby.

It is a total loss (one which, I will note, had nothing to do delivering beers). The aircraft was unrecoverable without risking more equipment and the possible drowning of one or more people – and not even the family members who most deserve it.

But that's not my point here. My point here is that I's like to share the experience I had with DJI when I asked about buying a replacement from them. I'm not mad about how it turned out, but I was a little surprised and disappointed. And others might benefit from knowing what to expect.

After a few rounds of emails over a few days, DJI sent me an invoice for a new aircraft: $554, plus $7 shipping. This is the aircraft with nothing else except the gimbal camera, which was nice of them to throw in, I guess, especially since it's attached.

Presumably, they'd also throw in the gimbal cover (which is the only part of the old aircraft I still have – hmmm... perhaps I should have sent that in for a DJI Care Refresh claim: "It's all that remains of the aircraft.")

So, to get that replacement aircraft in the air, I would need to spend $115 to replace the battery, and some propellers ($20 or so). That totals $689 (not including the shipping).

A spanking-new retail-package Mavic Air 2 is $799 – just $110 less – which includes another remote, the battery charger, an extra pair of propellers, all the connecting cables, and a few other things – the value of which is hard to say exactly, but certainly more than $110.

DJI was basically asking me to pay more for the aircraft than I did when I bought it the first time (as part of the larger package). I inquired about whether there was any discount to be had, and was told no, no discount was immediately available, but that my request could be forwarded off to another office for consideration.

On top of that, it was going to take 5-7 days for DJI to process the order, not including shipping (and not including any time it might take to be given a discount). That was a killer for me.

So I decided to go for the new retail package. It can't hurt to have another charger, and I'd be really mad if I killed my controller somehow in the next few months and had to shell out $160 for a new one. And there's enough value in the other stuff, I think.

It would have been nice if DJI had taken a little mercy on me and given me a bit of a break on the aircraft. Do I deserve such a thing? No. And they're in the business of selling drones, not discounting them. But it would have been nice – it kind of feels like they set a high price on this because they suspect I'm a captive customer, which I totally am. (And in the end, I really stuck it to them by paying even more money for the full retail package.)

Side note: I've seen lots of talk about State Farm covering drones, and I have State Farm, and indeed my coverage specifically does cover hobbyist aircraft. But there's a $2,000 deductible, which means I would have had to crash my $557 drone into my car and set it on fire in order to have any sort of insurance claim.

Anyway! Just wanted to lay this out for people so they'll know what to expect from DJI if they require a similar replacement.

I'll put this in a free-standing post so not everyone has to read through all this but: I now have 2 spare micro-USB remote cables and 2 spare USB-C remote cables. If anyone would like one and is willing to send me a self-addressed stamped envelope, please message me and I'll be happy to get that going. And if anyone has smashed their remote controller and would like a loaner that I would recall only if I smashed my own remote, please feel free to get in touch.

When I lost my MA1, I paid $575 for a brand new MA1 (no battery, no props, came with gimbal cover, free shipping to Canada) and they transferred my unused DJI Care Refresh to the new drone. You may want to add this cost to your calculation, not that it would make it more appealing, but I just wanted to let you know my experience.

They are TERRIBLE at Customer Service. I bought the Mavic Air 2 package and ordered some extra accessories (Multi battery charger, prop holder etc.). When I received them I was away for a few weeks so did not open the package. When I returned home and opened up the box I discovered that I had ordered the extra parts for a Mavic MINI and not the Mavic Air 2. I tried to do a return on-line and it was not possible because there is a 2 week return policy. So I emailed and they denied it. I appealed and they said they "would send the request to a higher decision maker". They emailed back and said NO! WTF!!!

This is why I always buy DJI gear from Amazon instead of direct from them. They can be very..annoying.

Had that happen with my Mini. Yet, DJI Tech Support / Care dragged their feet for over a month. Got my new Mini with a battery (that was lost too) and paid their normal price for the 2 items.

We all wished they'd do more for us, but nobody should expect it. After dealing with their "support" or the very lack of it - it's hard to stay with DJI knowing how lame they truly are. I DO like their drones, so there is that one caveat Yet, others are building ones pretty much like DJI's and should be cheaper too. I wanted a Phantom 4 Pro+ and price never came down - even after more than a year on the market and newer drones (Mavics) were coming out.

After dealing with their "support" or the very lack of it - it's hard to stay with DJI
Hey Swifty...I hear you on dealing with support. They all sound like they're taking a break from their other job...calling and saying they're from Microsoft and they find a problem with your computer..
But..in all other ways DJI is fantastic in my opinion..just like this forum ;)

Thank you! I agree that Refresh is a great deal, and I have been very happy when I’ve been able to send in bashed-up drones on a Refresh claim. But Refresh does not cover the loss of the entire aircraft. At all.

The Refresh Program works great if you have that and the Rescue Jacket for the Air 2 , Not only does it allow you to remote land on the high seas but also provides you 2800 ft VLOS during the day. its extremely light and stream lined for long distance flights..

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Float on Water.
We offer a nice discount for the Forum members email me at [email protected]

Reactions: A.O.
So if you had refresh.. why not spend a couple hundred and hire a diver to go find it?

They are TERRIBLE at Customer Service. I bought the Mavic Air 2 package and ordered some extra accessories (Multi battery charger, prop holder etc.). When I received them I was away for a few weeks so did not open the package. When I returned home and opened up the box I discovered that I had ordered the extra parts for a Mavic MINI and not the Mavic Air 2. I tried to do a return on-line and it was not possible because there is a 2 week return policy. So I emailed and they denied it. I appealed and they said they "would send the request to a higher decision maker". They emailed back and said NO! WTF!!!

Sorry, IMO you are 100% wrong on that example. Because you didn't do your due diligence (ie. YOU screwed up) it's DJI's problem "after (you) being away for a few weeks"?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929