DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Request for those receiving the Mavic Pro soon

Raptorman

Reactions
How about we sign you guys up to perform a battery of tests and get that info out ASAP. Tests like:

1. Flight time under different conditions with listing of battery percent on landing

2. Compatibility with Autopilot, Litchi etc

3. Overall performance feel when stick flying -- how does it compare to Phantom 4, Inspire 1 etc

4. And videos, lots and lots of videos -- make note of camera settings and lighting conditions and any editing work done in post

5. Sensors -- how well do the collision avoidance sensors work

6. RC-Drone communications -- how reliable is it and how far away did you go

7. FPV video quality

8. Sound level compared to Phantom and Inspire

9. GPS acquire time and reliability

10. Indoor flying -- how well does it do

Brian

The 3rd party apps won't likely have support for a few weeks they have to wait for DJI to release the updated SDK and code in all the changes.

Would expect the 3rd parties like Litchi and Autopilot to have support by December.

Reactions: The Editor
Raptorman, many of the items you listed above are covered in Mavic reviews that are already out. You can find a list of the best reviews here.

Raptorman, many of the items you listed above are covered in Mavic reviews that are already out. You can find a list of the best reviews here.

Oh I understand that, but the reviews so far are only from a handful of people and when a much larger group of people get there hands on it I think we may well learn some more things about it. As best I can tell there is no one that has more than one battery at the moment and that makes learning some things pretty tough - -particularly battery performance. My point is that if the early folks do a bit more systematic testing it will be very helpful to everyone else.

We learn by doing and then by showing so others can learn by seeing.

Brian

Reactions: Butterpuff 6

They're reviews of Mavics provided by DJI for publicity purposes. I think real-world reviews from people who actually bought the drones are needed to balance any bias in the pre-release reviews we've seen so far.

Reactions: botasky
They're reviews of Mavics provided by DJI for publicity purposes.
I'm not following. So, these people are lying and/or stretching the truth? I did not detect anything like that in the reviews at my link above.

Not outwardly lying , but when one gets a promotional Mavic for purposes of testing for no cost it may sway their opinions a bit. Same way it does for Amazon reviewers that receive products for a discounted cost or no cost.

When the intermediate to advanced drone flyer on the forum gets a hold of a production model Mavic Pro then they will put it through challenges that might be unforeseen and discover some shortcomings that have not yet been determined.

They are all guilty until proven innocent ;)

FYI...when Consumer Reports review products they actually purchase them.

I'm not following. So, these people are lying and/or stretching the truth? I did not detect anything like that in the reviews at my link above.

We'll see when the buying public actually gets their Mavics in the air and shares their experiences on forums like this. You can not say that these reviewers are independent from influence by DJI when they have received something of value from DJI in exchange for their reviews. They all very well could be giving an absolutely fair and independent assessment, but it would be foolish to not recognize that their privileged receipt of early review units could make them give a more favorable review.

You can not say that these reviewers are independent from influence by DJI when they have received something of value from DJI in exchange for their reviews.
Right -- I cannot say that since I don't know them personally. Free or not, I would never publish a false review if I had the Mavic in my hands right now.

FWIW, the early reviews of the Phantom 4 were pretty spot on.

How about we sign you guys up to perform a battery of tests and get that info out ASAP. Tests like:

1. Flight time under different conditions with listing of battery percent on landing

2. Compatibility with Autopilot, Litchi etc

3. Overall performance feel when stick flying -- how does it compare to Phantom 4, Inspire 1 etc

4. And videos, lots and lots of videos -- make note of camera settings and lighting conditions and any editing work done in post

5. Sensors -- how well do the collision avoidance sensors work

6. RC-Drone communications -- how reliable is it and how far away did you go

7. FPV video quality

8. Sound level compared to Phantom and Inspire

9. GPS acquire time and reliability

10. Indoor flying -- how well does it do

Brian
Sure! I wouldn't mind reporting real world specs.

I don't know how they decide who gets the pre-release drones to review. I would like to believe they would give a 100% honest review that is thoroughly tested. But I'm sure many of them are thinking "If I blast it too bad they might not send me another free one to review" so I'm sure some, certainly not all, kind of inflate the review. Just my thoughts.

I guess the joke will be on us if all of they guys are being dishonest.

I guess the joke will be on us if all of they guys are being dishonest.
I'm sure the product will come out and be fine, maybe a few things will get identified as soon there will be tens of thousands of people "testing" them and not just a handful. If there are issues they will be quickly identified. And problems are to be expected with something new and as complex as this. So I would expect some things to get identified when the big numbers hit the street. But overall I think it will be a huge success for DJI.

I will do a hover test next to the Phantom 4. The problem with a battery test when the battery is new it isn't giving you full run time. You should have at least 8 charges before you test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure the product will come out and be fine, maybe a few things will get identified as soon there will be tens of thousands of people "testing" them and not just a handful. If there are issues they will be quickly identified. And problems are to be expected with something new and as complex as this. So I would expect some things to get identified when the big numbers hit the street. But overall I think it will be a huge success for DJI.
Agreed.

I think the "reviews" from people like iJustine and Casey Neistat are for publicity. They get millions of viewers and basically free advertising for nothing but the cost of a drone. I'm almost certain iJustine is getting paid by DJI for at least her appearance and speech at the Mavic announcement. She ended her appearance with something like "this is going to change my life and I hope it does yours too." It even sounds like and advertisement. She said it again at the end of one of her Mavic vlogs.

Casey and iJustine make it look fun in the face of millions. Great move of DJI's part. However, others such as Tom's Tech Time and Philip Bloom are much more focused on the technical abilities and more candid about what they say; not afraid to point out some negatives.

With all the info available, I feel pretty confident about what to expect from the Mavic but I'm sure minor issues will surface as this drones reach thousands of owners hands.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair