DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Resetting "home" (for RTH) on same site?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I am about 10 days into MM ownership so I'm not fully familiar with the nuances of this drone...

I'm going to be shooting later today on a very large property. It will mean launching from three or four different points, each separated by a large (but not tall) building and will want those launch points to be home for each segment. I suspect that the MM will be flown far enough away that I may want to use RTH so I don't have to worry about orientation or direction until I can see it well.

What is the best procedure for changing the "Home" point in such a situation? Do I turn everything off then reboot it all? Or is there a home reset button in the menu?

I am about 10 days into MM ownership so I'm not fully familiar with the nuances of this drone...

I'm going to be shooting later today on a very large property. It will mean launching from three or four different points, each separated by a large (but not tall) building and will want those launch points to be home for each segment. I suspect that the MM will be flown far enough away that I may want to use RTH so I don't have to worry about orientation or direction until I can see it well.

What is the best procedure for changing the "Home" point in such a situation? Do I turn everything off then reboot it all? Or is there a home reset button in the menu?
No just land and it re-calculates home points. Make sure you wait until it states "home point" et cetera.

My own 2 cents:
Read this: A short explanation of compass function, calibration and errors.

Fly without looking at your screen at first. Understand what drone orientation is, what the lights mean, and how to navigate without the display. (Saved me numerous times)

Set up your menu system before take off. Meaning set your RTH Altitude, your RTH action, etc... All before you take off.

Pretend like Sport mode doesn't exist.

Enjoy your new addiction. ?

Reactions: E90RAW
Assuming you stop the motors and carry the drone between launch points the homepoint will be reset at each launch or very shortly thereafter as the drone climbs into sight of the GPS satellites.
You can reset the homepoint at anytime whilst the drone is in flight via the map but you need a high resolution map to do it accurately and unless you either saved such a map before hand or have wifi active the resolution that may be available to you may be appalling.
To be honest, I wouldn't try resetting the home point via the map for the first time whilst anywhere other than a wide open and safe space. The inaccuracies of the point of contact of a finger on the screen maybe enough to put the drone at risk

treat each sector you want to fly at as an individual flight area being aware of your setting for RTH as they may vary
if you have more than one battery then after you have landed if your battery has dropped under 50% then put in a new battery before you take off at the next location
dont forget to stop the video before you switch off the drone ,if the distance between home points is fairly close, then you can leave the RC and screen device linked between flights

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
earthflute