DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Resolving Mini-2 Weight Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that's correct, but the recreational rules are different. The 250 gram registration requirement applies to recreational drones as well.

TCS
Correct, but what I mean is that for example, you are Part 107 certified and you own 2 drones that are for having fun, not commercial. You can use registration for these drones as hobbyists, multiples drone 1 registration number like hobbyist?

@Chaosrider ...It looks like I am not the only one who read "Now, six months older and wiser, I'm basically certain that a Mini-2 with a strobe is over 250 grams." in your first post ....I didn't see anything where you mentioned it being a hypothetical situation.....actually it reads as though you are stating what occurred....stating the facts of the situation...2 hours later in post#4 you state
I'll just believe they are under 250, in the absence of solid contradictory evidence!...what happened in 2 hours between those 2 posts that took you from being certain about it....to needing solid contradictory evidence?

Last edited:
Mine was an armchair inquiry as to whether or not my strobed Mini-2s exceeded the 250 gram limit. I thought the answer was "yes", and if so, I'd get them registered. It turns out the answer is, "maybe yes, maybe no".

Nowhere, at any time, did I endorse blowing off the limit, and I have no intention of doing so.

TCS
How is it a maybe yes maybe no? It was PROVEN as FACT multiple times by multiple people that the Mini 2 with a Firehouse Arc V is 100% guaranteed to be over 250g. And based on that FACT, you said you would continue to fly ILLEGALLY because you think, based on NO EVIDENCE AT ALL, that they may not be over 250g. The only people who said MAYBE are ones that DID NOT IN FACT USE A SCALE. ALL people who used a scale said it was OVER 250g. Can you really not understand that? I am pretty sure that you are incapable of understanding the IMAGE that showed 253g with JUST a mini2 and Arc V strobe.

You make no "good faith" effort to adhere to the rules, ignore the FACT that you will be breaking them, and even say that you don't care that you are breaking them by a "few grams".
I don't think there's an FAA guy extant who will bust somebody who makes a good faith effort to comply with the 250 gram limit, and mistakenly busts it by a couple of grams.

TCS
RIGHT HERE you say that even if you are over a couple grams it won't matter. But in fact that LAW does care, thats the same as driving at 46 in a 45, it is illegal. Just because they won't ticket it doesn't make it legal, but it would take someone with more than a third grade education to understand that.

You sir, are the one that can't UNDERSTAND simple facts. Being that 2 people have used scales to give EXACT AND ACCURATE weights of the MIni2, PROVING it is over 250g with an Arc V strobe on EVERY OCCASION, and you then say, well a couple grams don't matter and will be flying anyway. You say will be flying as a sub 250g, when it is PROVEN it is over 250g, by multiple people. I mean only an idiot would then turn around and say that it is definitely under 250, when the IMAGE shows over 250, and I confirmed on a $500 Lab scale that it is over 250, and a couple people said, they aren't sure, it might be over but didn't have a scale to test ity. I mean it takes a literal idiot to then say it is sub 250g.

I mean really, can anyone really be that stupid? I guess it has been proven, people that stupid do exist...

Go ahead and try to cry that I am insulting you. Not sure you can understand what an actual insult is. In reality, you are insulting me, by calling me a liar even though I can prove what I say, and you try to deny what you have in writing on this forum.

Why do you not just agree that you are a criminal and will make it harder on everyone else just to make it slightly easier for you, until they change the rules.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
You proceed from a false premise.

I *DO NOT* know for a fact that my strobed Mini-2s are over 250 grams. If I did, I'd register them all. All I know for a fact is that someone *asserted* that they are over 250 grams.

Very different thing.

My strobes are smaller than the one in the picture.

From the outset for me, this conversation has been about whether or not the strobe I use puts the Mini-2 over 250 grams. It was *NEVER* about what to do if it *IS* over 250 grams, and yet, people just tend to jump there.

It's a little odd...

TCS
Actually, at least 2 people used scales and showed that there is no way your drone is under 250g, and then say, well that's not your reality. Sorry, but that is what you said. You also said your strobes are Firehouse Arc V, which that is, then claim yours are smaller... So you lied and it isn't an Arc V? Is it an Arc 1? Well how are we supposed to know if you can't tell the difference between an Arc 1 and an Arc V? Sorry, that's a basic understanding and ability to see...

So, it was CONFIRMED that it is over 250G, and then you say, well it is under and you will continue to fly "without proof" they are over 250G, even though proof was given here.

That's someone who can't logic their way out of a paper bag...

Yes, that's correct, but the recreational rules are different. The 250 gram registration requirement applies to recreational drones as well.

TCS
That is not accurate....If a citizen who is not 107 flies a drone less than 250 grams ...there is no involvement with the FAA at all...if that person gets a drone over 250 grams....he pays $5 and registers himself...not the drone and gets issued a number and that number gets used on any and all drones up to 55 pounds that the person flies, If you are flying as 107 EACH drone gets an individual number regardless of its weight....for this registration you do furnish each drone's specific information

That is not accurate....If a citizen who is not 107 flies a drone less than 250 grams ...there is no involvement with the FAA at all...if that person gets a drone over 250 grams....he pays $5 and registers himself...not the drone and gets issued a number and that number gets used on any and all drones up to 55 pounds that the person flies, If you are flying as 107 EACH drone gets an individual number regardless of its weight....for this registration you do furnish each drone's specific information
Hey Mark, actually you aren't completely correct. A rec flier needs a TRUST cert and to have a drone that is sub250g at Take-off. So there is still the FAA, and they do still control the airspace, which is why a rec flier can't fly near an airport, the FAA says they can't. But if it is sub250, the only FAA part then is airspace and TRUST cert.

The rest of your post seems accurate though.

Correct, but what I mean is that for example, you are Part 107 certified and you own 2 drones that are for having fun, not commercial. You can use registration for these drones as hobbyists, multiples drone 1 registration number like hobbyist?
Yes, if you fly them under the recreational rules.

TCS

Reactions: zeusfl
Sloppy language on my part, perhaps. If you're flying a drone over 250 grams, a registration must occur. For recreational, you register you. For 107, you register the drone (each one). As you said.

My intent was to point out that if a drone is over 250 grams, a registration must take place, and that the rules for recreational are different.

Sorry for the confusion.

TCS

I have another take. A small strobe for a sub250g drone weighs 7gms (well mine does) That incudes it's own rechargeable battery. Given a strobe improves VLOS on such a small drone it seems totally plausible that DJI could build in a strobe within 250gms since it could draw power from the drone battery. A very minor mod for big benefit. What about it DJI ?

I have another take. A small strobe for a sub250g drone weighs 7gms (well mine does) That incudes it's own rechargeable battery. Given a strobe improves VLOS on such a small drone it seems totally plausible that DJI could build in a strobe within 250gms since it could draw power from the drone battery. A very minor mod for big benefit. What about it DJI ?
That would be great!

And this is useful data. Someone previously said in this thread that the average Mini-2 weighs 242 grams. This makes perfect sense to anyone who's worked with statistical process controls. If you want a batch of things to not exceed some weight, you don't target it for that weight; you target it for some lower weight.

How much lower? It depends on the degree of certainty that you want, and the standard deviation of the weight distribution. Mil-Std-105 provides some guidance on these issues.

And...with a 7 gram strobe...

242 + 7 = 249.

Imagine that!

:)

TCS

That would be great!

And this is useful data. Someone previously said in this thread that the average Mini-2 weighs 242 grams. This makes perfect sense to anyone who's worked with statistical process controls. If you want a batch of things to not exceed some weight, you don't target it for that weight; you target it for some lower weight.

How much lower? It depends on the degree of certainty that you want, and the standard deviation of the weight distribution. Mil-Std-105 provides some guidance on these issues.

And...with a 7 gram strobe...

242 + 7 = 249.

Imagine that!

:)

TCS
And the Arc v which is what you said you were using, is 14g... so 242 plus 14 is 256g!

Imagine that!

And the Arc v which is what you said you were using, is 14g... so 242 plus 14 is 256g!

Imagine that!
If I said I had an Arc V, I'd very much like to see the quote of where I said that. If I said I was using the Arc *V*, that was an error.

I'm using an Arc, but not the Arc V.

It's just a little printed circuit board attached to a small battery. No case, as the Arc V appears to have in the pictures I've seen.

TCS

Reactions: thispilothere
If I said I had an Arc V, I'd very much like to see the quote of where I said that. If I said I was using the Arc *V*, that was an error.

I'm using an Arc, but not the Arc V.

It's just a little printed circuit board attached to a small battery. No case, as the Arc V appears to have in the pictures I've seen.

TCS
You are correct, you didn't say Arc V. You said Arc, and then when people said well the Arc V (Being the most popular and easiest to acquire), you didn't comment or say it was a 1st edition Arc or anything. Or when I specifically stated that the Mini2 with an Arc V is for sure, definitely over 250g, you then attacked me instead of clarifying and saying you had the original arc without a case, significantly lowering its weight. Instead you decided just to lie and fight about how with PROOF of over 250g, you were thinking you were under.

I mean 2 pages of this could have been avoided if you just said it wasn't an ArcV when the proof was given by multiple people... Then, one could reasonably say that the 1/4 of the Arc V weight is in the case, which would put you right at 250.5g on my drone, oever 250g, reasonably arguable that you consider it under 250g. Close enough that I would be a responsible adult and have it weighed to ensure I was following the law, instead of guessing that you follow the law like you propose.

Goes back to the speeding on the freeway that someone brought up. Without a speedo, how would you know if you are breaking the law? Well you wouldn't, and your argument that it is close enough, well for some it is. And like I said, that's fine, since no one has been able to give evidence of "some strobe" not an Arc V, so you are asking with unknown hardware, unknown setup for people to comment on the weight of the unknown equipment. That's just illogical and really stupid. Maybe that's why so many people EXPLAINED exactly what equipment they were commenting on.

But instead, just lie and fight and make inaccurate statements, and generally troll. Bet it made you feel like a big boy, don't need those pull ups today.

You are correct, you didn't say Arc V. You said Arc, and then when people said well the Arc V (Being the most popular and easiest to acquire), you didn't comment or say it was a 1st edition Arc or anything. Or when I specifically stated that the Mini2 with an Arc V is for sure, definitely over 250g, you then attacked me instead of clarifying and saying you had the original arc without a case, significantly lowering its weight. Instead you decided just to lie and fight about how with PROOF of over 250g, you were thinking you were under.

I mean 2 pages of this could have been avoided if you just said it wasn't an ArcV when the proof was given by multiple people... Then, one could reasonably say that the 1/4 of the Arc V weight is in the case, which would put you right at 250.5g on my drone, oever 250g, reasonably arguable that you consider it under 250g. Close enough that I would be a responsible adult and have it weighed to ensure I was following the law, instead of guessing that you follow the law like you propose.

Goes back to the speeding on the freeway that someone brought up. Without a speedo, how would you know if you are breaking the law? Well you wouldn't, and your argument that it is close enough, well for some it is. And like I said, that's fine, since no one has been able to give evidence of "some strobe" not an Arc V, so you are asking with unknown hardware, unknown setup for people to comment on the weight of the unknown equipment. That's just illogical and really stupid. Maybe that's why so many people EXPLAINED exactly what equipment they were commenting on.

But instead, just lie and fight and make inaccurate statements, and generally troll. Bet it made you feel like a big boy, don't need those pull ups today.
You seem to have a serious problem with wanting to make other people wrong, and you don't mind making up stuff to do it. You might want to have that checked out.

Lighten up, dude.

I'm going to be done with you for a while, again.

TCS

You seem to have a serious problem with wanting to make other people wrong, and you don't mind making up stuff to do it. You might want to have that checked out.

Lighten up, dude.

I'm going to be done with you for a while, again.

TCS
Hmm, multiple people had a problem with you, and only you have an issue with me. I wonder who the actual problem is? Maybe if you learned how to communicate, there wouldn't be issues. Maybe if you took the time to look at what was posted by others, you wouldn't get into this. And gee, seems this isn't the first time your threads have devolved into trolling and arguments... Hmm seems once again, you are the issue not every one else. But keep denying anything is wrong with your communication, and keep having issues with more people.

I hope you are done with me. I like reading intelligent well thought out posts and not just a troll who can't even attempt to communicate in a reasonable way, in a way that others might understand them. Maybe you need to be checked for stroke? Or is English not your first language? That would help explain your lack of understanding. Or is it that you just don't care about anyone or anything, like your post suggests, that laws don't apply to you. It's called narcissism in reality. You are better than everyone, and we should all bow to the great ChaosRider (self described lawbreaker who trolls for no reason).

But go ahead and keep blaming everyone else for YOUR lack of communication, and that you ATTACKED me for saying that you are definitely over 250g if you were using a MIni 2 and an Arc V. Then without saying anything about it not being an Arc V, you go off.

Certainly that's been talked about many times on the drone pilots various forums for years.
It would be easy, and one that could be toggled would be excellent to have available.

They have a toggle for landing light on some model(s?).

I guess it's possibly cost, car makers will delete a bolt if they can to save a few cents a car.
Might also be many countries don't allow night flight under general rules, so they consider strobes an after thought / aftermarket accessory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast