DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Restricted airspace — cannot take off

How are you unlocking on DJI Fly? It was not clear at all to me how this could be done and at one point (I think when I tried the DJI website) I got a message that said I could not unlock on a mobile device.

You simply try to start the motors (for example by pushing both sticks down and inwards). If you are in an authorization zone, that should then bring up a prompt on the device screen where you have to self-certify that you are permitted to fly there. I believe the first time you do this, there is also a SMS code that gets texted to you from DJI that you need to also enter.

Once you complete that process, the zone unlocks. Your phone/tablet does need to have a data connection for this process to work, so if you are flying in a remote area without data, then you still would need to use the website authorization process ahead of time.

I've gone though this field unlock process dozens of times (both with DJI Go 4 and now DJI Fly for my Mavic Air 2), so I'm always a little puzzled why so many people think you need to use the DJI website for normal unlocking needs. I've almost never needed to do so.

Reactions: Kyle76
The one time I tried on a mobile device it would not let me.... I suspect if you had a regular computer / laptop connected to a wireless router (cell phone) you might could do it. But let me warn you, dji's unlocking web site is very difficult to navigate... you have to jump through about 10 hurdles and figure a lot out and the once you get to the final stage of having the unlock number texted to you that is a gamble of whether it will work... doesn't about a third of the time for me. I guess you could try the 'massage' option. I'm not making that up... you can get a voice mail message sent also... but the web site calls it a 'massage'. You'd think one of the computer geeks at dji would have seen this by now.

The DJI unlock website doesn't work on a mobile device, but you should be able to unlock directly in DJI Fly if you have a data connection.

Reactions: Kyle76
I never could get their web site to work with Safari also... I had to load Firefox into my Mac in order to get it to work, most of the time. Also, don't get the Flight Control # confused with the Remote Control # or Serial Numbers... what they want is the Flight Control # which can be found on your controller if you have the drone connected to it.
Good luck, it is the most convoluted messed up system designed by folks that never have to use the thing I have ever seen.

Reactions: Cw4bray and Kyle76
Also, don't get the Flight Control # confused with the Remote Control # or Serial Numbers... what they want is the Flight Control # which can be found on your controller if you have the drone connected to it.
I wondered what that was. I’ll have to figure out how to find it. Is this number always the same?

It is in the controller menu... top right screen button on general kind of stuff... scroll down it's in there somewhere.... but I think the drone has to be connected...
I have it in my computer so I just cut and paste it in at the bottom of the first page... first above the map you choose your drone from a drop down list.. then you click in the map the area you want to unlock (blue zone) it should show up in a block under the map then you punch or paste in the flight control number and go to the next two pages of lawyer junk where you have to take responsibility for what you do.. then it only gives you the 'mobile' choice then the last page you have to choose your country... the US is way down on the bottom of the pull down menu... put in our 10 digit mobile phone number, no dashes.. check another lawyer block, say a prayer and hit send and hope they text you the number to get an unlock code... put the number in at the bottom and click submit... then you have to turn on your controller and drone and have them connected to the internet to be able to transfer the unlock code from the controller to the drone...

nothing to it... simple...

I had trouble getting the SMS message in a timely manner so I could not unlock from app. But I was able to unlock using website from desktop, then downloading unlock code/certificate. That was around mid-May. Not sure if that was with the Fly app for my Mini, or Go app for my M2Z.

Not long after I unlocked the zone did the SMS messages finally come through. Or was that after I was done flying?

Hi,
I don't know for android, but I can unlock the restriction from my iPhone: Request the desktop site. in the 3 attached photos: first I navigate to the self-unlock url and I get the same message as you do; Second image, I click on the Aa area and I select "request desktop website"; Finally, as you can see on image 3, I'm in the cumbersome but usable website and I can unlock whatever I need.

Attachments

• IMG_4432.PNG
    IMG_4432.PNG
    495.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4433-1.PNG
    IMG_4433-1.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • File 2020-08-16, 17 51 21.png
    File 2020-08-16, 17 51 21.png
    643 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: ff22
I made a quick trip with a friend to Beaufort, NC and had looked forward to making some drone shots of his new house and the nearby water, but when I got everything set up, DJI Fly said I was in a restricted area and could not take off. I checked on Kittyhawk, and although it said I was a little over 2 miles from a small airport, it did not give me an option to request authorization. DJI Fly said I could go to their website to request clearance, but when I tried on my phone, it said such a request could not be made on a mobile device. I thought requests could be made through the app, but I couldn’t figure out how so I just abandoned the idea of flying. Is there anything else I could have done? I would have been fine with less than 100’ of altitude.

I made a quick trip with a friend to Beaufort, NC and had looked forward to making some drone shots of his new house and the nearby water, but when I got everything set up, DJI Fly said I was in a restricted area and could not take off. I checked on Kittyhawk, and although it said I was a little over 2 miles from a small airport, it did not give me an option to request authorization. DJI Fly said I could go to their website to request clearance, but when I tried on my phone, it said such a request could not be made on a mobile device. I thought requests could be made through the app, but I couldn’t figure out how so I just abandoned the idea of flying. Is there anything else I could have done? I would have been fine with less than 100’ of altitude.
No you must go through a website DJI FLY SAFE. I am near Chattanooga airport. I feel your pain.

In my experience TFRs are still authorization zones and are also field unlockable. I've done it myself. (for example, FAA cancelled a Presidential TFR but DJI was still showing it active. It was simple to unlock it in the field.)

Had a wildfire TFR expire here last month, and it still wasn't field-unlockable. It went away with the last MA2 firmware update, though, so I can't look further into that one.

I used some trick on a not authorized zone, you should power on the drone with the app so it makes connection, before the drone grabs the gps lock info power on the motors by the two joysticks combo and remove the phone from the controller,,,,now you are able to fly but remember that gps positioning is not working ,,, it's a ATTI mode flight under your responsability,not even sure if RTH will work,so take your risks

Had a wildfire TFR expire here last month, and it still wasn't field-unlockable. It went away with the last MA2 firmware update, though, so I can't look further into that one.

That's odd. I just took a look at some wildfire TFRs in California today. (for example the one ~5mi south of Antioch, CA). They are showing up as blue authorization zones so they should be field unlockable as well. (of course one shouldn't ever fly there if the TFR is "active").

Reactions: BigAl07
That's odd. I just took a look at some wildfire TFRs in California today. (for example the one ~5mi south of Antioch, CA). They are showing up as blue authorization zones so they should be field unlockable as well. (of course one shouldn't ever fly there if the TFR is "active").

That's correct. And it's why I've been saying "should," because I was *not* able to field-unlock that one, and ended up having to submit a custom unlock and go back out the next day.

That's correct. And it's why I've been saying "should," because I was *not* able to field-unlock that one, and ended up having to submit a custom unlock and go back out the next day.

What exactly occurs when you try to field unlock? Are you getting the authorization pop-up at all?

What exactly occurs when you try to field unlock? Are you getting the authorization pop-up at all?

I can't retest it - that TFR went away with the last firmware update. But I got a message window saying that I couldn't do that from a mobile, and that I had to do it from a browser.

I can't retest it - that TFR went away with the last firmware update. But I got a message window saying that I couldn't do that from a mobile, and that I had to do it from a browser.

You saw that message inside DJI Fly itself?

As I recall, yes. It may have appeared when I got a link, though.

OK, thanks. I've seen a similar message (attached below) when visiting the DJI unlock web page via mobile, but never in DJI Fly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200817-143517_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg
    Screenshot_20200817-143517_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 12
I’m currently flying a construction site adjacent to a local airport. When powering up I will be granted my unlock code as normal. Last week I went through the motion of starting up but rather than restricting the drone from powering on, it started up. I was a little puzzled so I hovered around 50 feet agl for about a minute. I then flew to the opposite end of the site for some shots. I never got higher than 100 ft, just above the trees. Suddenly the controller alarm sounded and I got the prompt “landing”. Drone started descending straight down. I had to fight it to come back to me and was able to get it back into the opening. I brought it back to launch point, powered off, powered on and this time had to get unlock code. Completed my mission with no further incident. I’m not sure what caused this breach on the original flight.
Here is a pic with the Airport tower in the background. 1597877214070.jpeg
1597877214070.jpeg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard