DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Restricted airspace — cannot take off

I’m currently flying a construction site adjacent to a local airport. When powering up I will be granted my unlock code as normal. Last week I went through the motion of starting up but rather than restricting the drone from powering on, it started up. I was a little puzzled so I hovered around 50 feet agl for about a minute. I then flew to the opposite end of the site for some shots. I never got higher than 100 ft, just above the trees. Suddenly the controller alarm sounded and I got the prompt “landing”. Drone started descending straight down. I had to fight it to come back to me and was able to get it back into the opening. I brought it back to launch point, powered off, powered on and this time had to get unlock code. Completed my mission with no further incident. I’m not sure what caused this breach on the original flight.
Here is a pic with the Airport tower in the background. View attachment 111052
View attachment 111052

Did you perhaps take off before getting a full GPS lock?

If Kittyhawk doesn't offer authorization, LAANC isn't going to help. It's more likely a DJI "Flysafe" restriction - but without more details on the location, it's hard to say. The presence of the Marine Corps Air Station at Beaufort makes the airspace a bit complicated, there. But that's South Carolina, not North.

At Michael J Smith Field in Beaufort, NC, there are DJI locks on the flight paths - you'll need to do a manual unlock before flying in those zones.

Hi iaincaradoc, I ran into a similar situation in Seattle. I was about to do my fourth flight for work, had gotten 50' max clearance from LAANC, but then DJI Go Fly said I had to "unlock." This did not happen in another Class D, which I got separate permission to go 400' (in another location). When I hit unlock button a new box came up, but there was nothing in it to check. Is this because I don't have Kittyhawk linked to Go Fly? Or just a random Go Fly glitch? Anyhow, I couldn't fly, let my boss know I couldn't photograph in this one location. All was good. Thanks.

I made a quick trip with a friend to Beaufort, NC and had looked forward to making some drone shots of his new house and the nearby water, but when I got everything set up, DJI Fly said I was in a restricted area and could not take off. I checked on Kittyhawk, and although it said I was a little over 2 miles from a small airport, it did not give me an option to request authorization. DJI Fly said I could go to their website to request clearance, but when I tried on my phone, it said such a request could not be made on a mobile device. I thought requests could be made through the app, but I couldn’t figure out how so I just abandoned the idea of flying. Is there anything else I could have done? I would have been fine with less than 100’ of altitude.
Happens to the best. Some airports use LAANC some aren't there yet. Sometimes a few hundred feet or a different drone make the difference. Sucks I know.

Yes, more specifically, here:

View attachment 110707
As a pilot, I certainly wouldn’t want you to be flying a drone right on the final approach to 32. Even if you say you only want to fly up to 100ft AGL, the hazard you’d create if you lost control and had any kind of a flyaway, especially if it were vertical, is extremely dangerous.

Get Litchi. It will let you know you are in restricted air space, but will allow you to fly up to 200 feet, not 400.

Yesterday we went to Saugatuck Michigan. on the way there, I saw the Saugatuck Airport along the side of the road. So I know enough to check B4Ufly. I tried very hard, but it would not connect. Apparently Verizon does not have any great connections in this area. So I figured it would keep me from going up in the air if I was unable, and DJI go for let me go right up and I took some pictures of Saugatuck. On my second trip up, everything was going fine, then I got a warning that I was in restricted airspace and I came right down. Very odd.

Yesterday we went to Saugatuck Michigan. on the way there, I saw the Saugatuck Airport along the side of the road. So I know enough to check B4Ufly. I tried very hard, but it would not connect. Apparently Verizon does not have any great connections in this area. So I figured it would keep me from going up in the air if I was unable, and DJI go for let me go right up and I took some pictures of Saugatuck. On my second trip up, everything was going fine, then I got a warning that I was in restricted airspace and I came right down. Very odd.

Why will this not allow me to attach a video file?

I’m learning a lot her and thank you for the information. Just a quick question. I live in Windsor Ontario Canada. Is there a problem flying my mini over the Detroit River?
Thanks

Why will this not allow me to attach a video file?
IS the file from your computer or Youtube link...I would assume a normal video file is well beyond the limit of file size for this and most other sites limits. ;)

IS the file from your computer or Youtube link...I would assume a normal video file is well beyond the limit of file size for this and most other sites limits. ;)
AH! Attach YouTube link! Duh...

I just went through this whole mess today. I was a couple of miles away from KOZR and I was not allowed to take off, then a screen appears saying to enter my phone number, I do so, I get a code text to my phone that's valid for 5 minutes, I enter the code in my IPAD and then a few screens pop up asking me if I understand the risks, if I'll take responsibility for the flight etc. I answer yes to all those and BAMM "you are now authorized to fly" and away we flew

I’m learning a lot her and thank you for the information. Just a quick question. I live in Windsor Ontario Canada. Is there a problem flying my mini over the Detroit River?
Thanks
I’m tempted to say, “Only if your drone picks up COVID -19 and brings it home,” but honestly, I wouldn’t cross a national boundary with my drone. I suspect there are laws aplenty stating that that’s a no-no.

I’m tempted to say, “Only if your drone picks up COVID -19 and brings it home,” but honestly, I wouldn’t cross a national boundary with my drone. I suspect there are laws aplenty stating that that’s a no-no.
Well funny there's a video for that, skip to 3:40:

If Kittyhawk doesn't offer authorization, LAANC isn't going to help. It's more likely a DJI "Flysafe" restriction - but without more details on the location, it's hard to say. The presence of the Marine Corps Air Station at Beaufort makes the airspace a bit complicated, there. But that's South Carolina, not North.

At Michael J Smith Field in Beaufort, NC, there are DJI locks on the flight paths - you'll need to do a manual unlock before flying in those zones.
How do you do a manual unlock before flying. I was trying to fly about 10 miles from a woman's state prison and I was still in the restricted zone for it. I just wanted to take it up over the little town to take some shots and wasn't even close to the prison.

How do you do a manual unlock before flying. I was trying to fly about 10 miles from a woman's state prison and I was still in the restricted zone for it. I just wanted to take it up over the little town to take some shots and wasn't even close to the prison.
Hit this link: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography
Noting that I think Prisons are a RED NFZ, I am not sure if a unlock is even possible depending on how that location is classified and NFZ is mandated. Use DJI's Flysafe site and look on GEO Map section to see what they have set up..If you can find out that it might be in error you can email them via same section to have it corrected :)

There are two ways to unlock Authorization Zones (blue): 1. Live Self-UnlockingWhen connected to the Internet, DJI APP allow you to unlock Authorization Zones on-site when you take off inside of or fly into one. Unlocking lasts for 24 hours and requires just a few taps on the screen.

apply-step-3e2e73b1300238192369a92cb0f2dc40.png
Confirm authorization to flyVerify with phoneReady to fly

2. Scheduled Self-UnlockingUsers planning to fly in an Authorization Zone without an Internet connection can use the Online Flight Planner to schedule up to 30 simultaneous unlocking plans. Each unlocked zone will remain unlocked for three days.

Unlocking an Authorization Zone requires a DJI user account verified with a credit card, debit card, or mobile phone number. DJI does not collect nor store this information, which is verified by a third party service, and verification is free. A verified account is required only if attempting to fly in an Authorization Zone. When your request is approved, go to the Camera View, select General Settings, and select Unlocking List in the DJI GO/DJI GO 4/DJI Fly app to confirm your flight license has been downloaded. Afterwards, you can fly in the Authorization Zone without a network connection.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jane L.
That’s what I thought. Thanks

Well funny there's a video for that, skip to 3:40:
These guys are a hoot. They dont really answer the question but I wouldn’t want to get into hot water with either government authority. They need to learn the names of the cities as well.
Thanks for posting this.

I finally just did a test on this area and was able to unlock the airport restricted areas through the DJI unlocking website on my iPad. I got three days of clearance, though I have no plans to be in that area. The clearance was also confirmed through a check on the DJI Fly app, so I think I'm good going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leroyman