DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Restricted Zone Unlocking... What documentation do I need?

kodiak1120

Reactions
I need to a job for a client. I have my Part 107 license. I went yesterday and the app would not let me take off. Apparently the property is located in a red restricted zone, so I cannot get approval from within the app. I need to request an unlock through DJI's website. The application is asking for documentation showing that I have authority to fly in the area. I don't know what type of documentation they are looking for. The property is in Class E airspace under a 400 foot shelf of Class B airspace. I do not therefore need an waiver form the FAA. What am I supposed to submit?

Class E is not DJI restricted - it's a warning zone - so something else is causing it to be restricted. You will need to figure out what that is in order to get the required documentation and apply for a custom unlock.
Right, that's what I mean... it's not an FAA issue, it's a DJI issue. If it were the FAA, I could just get a waiver, but I can't since there is no issue with the flight. It looks like a small unmanned air strip nearby. Are you saying I should reach out to the airstrip? I hope not because I cannot see any possibility of them granting me permission to do anything.

Right, that's what I mean... it's not an FAA issue, it's a DJI issue. If it were the FAA, I could just get a waiver, but I can't since there is no issue with the flight. It looks like a small unmanned air strip nearby. Are you saying I should reach out to the airstrip? I hope not because I cannot see any possibility of them granting me permission to do anything.

That doesn't mean that it is not an FAA issue - all airspace restrictions are FAA issues. It means that it isn't due to the Class E airspace. Firstly, if DJI shows it as a restricted zone in their GEO system then if you click on it you will see who owns or operates it. Secondly, if you look on the FAA Facitilies map then it should be there too, with more detail.

Reactions: Thomas B
I disagree. There is no airspace issue with the FAA. This is an exclusively DJI-imposed issue. Also, it looks like it's even unlockable because when I click on the pin, it says "Restricted Zone Unlock Unavailable." I don't get it. There is an RC flying field less than 1/2 mile away. This is a tiny, unmanned airport. This is ridiculous.

Edit: Also, the airport isn't even listed on the FAA Facilities map. From a satellite view, it looks like it is private runway on a farm. As I said, RIDICULOUS that DJI has locked this area.

Last edited:
I disagree. There is no airspace issue with the FAA. This is an exclusively DJI-imposed issue. Also, it looks like it's even unlockable because when I click on the pin, it says "Restricted Zone Unlock Unavailable." I don't get it. There is an RC flying field less than 1/2 mile away. This is a tiny, unmanned airport. This is ridiculous.

If you know that it's a DJI problem, why are you asking what documents to send to them? Without being able to look at the location details I can't help you.

If you know that it's a DJI problem, why are you asking what documents to send to them? Without being able to look at the location details I can't help you.
I don't understand what you are asking. The unlock process asks for documentation to show that you are authorized to fly in that area. Since it's not an FAA issue, I cannot submit proof of a waiver. Hence my question about what I am supposed to submit.

Just search 'Clarksboro, New Jersey' and you'll see a restricted zone for Peaslees Airstrip.

This is the location. It's literally a farm with a grass runway.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
Except for a small overlap in the NW, that restricted zone and the surrounding areas are not in Class E under a Class B shelf - they are in surface Class B, so you would need LAANC authorization anyway. So you could submit that.

And separately you could email DJI and ask why they put a restricted zone on the runway of a private airstrip (NJ25) - those are normally reserved for Class D airports or above.

1618421897363.png

1618421935760.png

IMG_4A92A9626422-1.jpeg

Ok... you are correct on the airspace issue but regardless that is not the reason why it is restricted. It is restricted because of that private airstrip, which is ridiculous.

Ok... you are correct on the airspace issue but regardless that is not the reason why it is restricted. It is restricted because of that private airstrip, which is ridiculous.

As I said - you have two options:
  1. Use your LAANC authorization and submit that to DJI with a custom unlock request;
  2. Email [email protected] and point out their mistake.
You need LAANC authorization in either case, of course.

As I said - you have two options:
  1. Use your LAANC authorization and submit that to DJI with a custom unlock request;
  2. Email [email protected] and point out their mistake.
You need LAANC authorization in either case, of course.
Thanks.... I actually already got the LAANC authorization and I submitted that to DJI and they granted it. Looks like that restricted area is a mistake.

Class E is not DJI restricted - it's a warning zone - so something else is causing it to be restricted.
Class E2 is controlled airspace that needs a LAANC or 107.41 Authorization. E4 & E5 do not need approval. They are extensions of D and C.

Correct, but that wasn't the issue I was addressing, which was how DJI classifies Class E.
Just clarifying for others.

Reactions: sar104
You have run into the DJI "flysafe" BS.
go to Self Unlocking - Fly Safe - DJI
Sign into your DJI account.
Click on Self Unlocking
Enter your drone type - pull down menu
Search for Clarksboro, New Jersey
zoom in on the red dot south of Clarksboro, this is the offending "airstrip"
Click the red dot and the

Peaslees Airstrip​

CLARKSBORO

will appear in the box below the map.
Input your Flight Controller serial number.
enter date range
submit.
follow instructions, you have to go thru a cell phone verification process, yadayadayada.
the eventual unlocking license will show up on the dji app in general settings. (only when connected to drone) unlock license is good for 3 calendar days.

Hope this gets you in the air

Reactions: ATW
Several posts refer to "custom unlocking". This category requires documentation and quick approval is not supported. I made the mistake of selecting custom on my first attempt because it is the first option on the left of the Fly Safe screen. That is where I got stuck.

This was solved by selecting "self unlocking" (option to the right). No documentation needs to be submitted and approval is very fast. DJI Fly Safe unlocking is just a safety feature to warn you that you are in a restricted/controlled area. Fly Safe does not provide any FAA approval function. For that you have to use LAANC or Drone Zone.

Somewhat of a newbie but that is what I have found through trial and (many) error(s) while trying to get approval to operate near a municipal airport where maximum altitude is 0 feet AGL. You can't use LAANC for approval to go above the maximum altitude so I had to go the Drone Zone route. Then I used the Fly Safe self unlocking option to unlock my drone. Nice thing is you can do it for a date in the future so when you get to the site you can take off without delay. Unlocking before hand is an absolute necessity if your launch site doesn't have cell or internet service (like mine).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78