DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Restricted zones

CarlosCN

Reactions
I living in a restricted flying zone at 3 miles of an airport.
Can you please comment about the max. acceptable flying altitude within those restricted zones?
E.g. is it acceptable to practicing maneuvers flying below 50 ft at max. 200 ft distance?
Thanks

Technically if you are flying outdoors, you're supposed to follow the same rules flying 10 feet or 200ft.
But I doubt anyone would bother if you are below and close to treeline. Airplanes certainly can't go near trees or buildings, though choppers might.

Download an FAA sectional chart to determine what class airspace you're in; you can download them for free here; the legend is included with the chart.
Sectional Aeronautical Chart

Last weekend I covered an event less than 1/4 mile from a regional airport runway that the FAA confirmed was Class G airspace - no notification required. I hold a Part 107 license, so didn't have to notify the airport operator, but was still careful to observe all FAA flight regulations, use a spotter, and stay below 200' as an extra precaution.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
If you are within 5 miles of an airport in LA, you need to look at a sectional chart and determine the airspace.

You can not fly in Class B, C, or D for example....

I just looked at the LAX sectional, and all I can say is WTF, without knowing exactly where you are, I can't even venture a guess.... I can't ever recall a sectional with so many segments.

And as others have said, all airspace starts at the top of the blades of grass. If you are in an area the FAA deems not open to aircraft without being handled by Air Traffic Control, there is no permissible height to operate. Depending on where you are the controlled air space can start at the surface.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
If you are within 5 miles of an airport in LA, you need to look at a sectional chart and determine the airspace.

I just looked at the LAX sectional, and all I can say is WTF, without knowing exactly where you are, I can't even venture a guess.... I can't ever recall a sectional with so many segments.

And as others have said, all airspace starts at the top of the blades of grass. If you are in an area the FAA deems not open to aircraft without being handled by Air Traffic Control, there is no permissible height to operate. Depending on where you are the controlled air space can start at the surface.

Thanks for your reply.
In order to avoid any issue, I am driving one hour to an area without airports, heliports nor other kind of restricted facilities.

Download an FAA sectional chart to determine what class airspace you're in; you can download them for free here; the legend is included with the chart.
Sectional Aeronautical Chart

Last weekend I covered an event less than 1/4 mile from a regional airport runway that the FAA confirmed was Class G airspace - no notification required. I hold a Part 107 license, so didn't have to notify the airport operator, but was still careful to observe all FAA flight regulations, use a spotter, and stay below 200' as an extra precaution.
Thank you for your very helpful comments. I will acquire the FAA chart.

Technically if you are flying outdoors, you're supposed to follow the same rules flying 10 feet or 200ft.
But I doubt anyone would bother if you are below and close to treeline. Airplanes certainly can't go near trees or buildings, though choppers might.
Thanks for your comment. Indeed, choppers are my main concern as I have a heliport nearby.

Last edited:

This is incorrect.

Hobby/recreation flyers need only notify the airport/tower when flying within 5 miles of the airport regardless of airspace class.

Permission is only required in Class B airspace.

This is incorrect.

Hobby/recreation flyers need only notify the airport/tower when flying within 5 miles of the airport regardless of airspace class.

Permission is only required in Class B airspace.

Well how do you explain say KMHT, Class C, that is controlled from the SURFACE to 4300 feet

If it is controlled from the surface, you are not supposed to be there

KPVD, Class C, SFC to 4100 feet

KLWM, Class D the 26 inside the blue box means it is CONTROLLED from the surface to 2600 feet.

Tampa international Airport has a website that shows where you can fly from it and how high at each distance. They don't show concentric circles, rather a cross which accounts for their takeoff and landing paths. I'm sure the areas not shown restricted are at least class D.
What's cool about the site is that filling it out with your flight plan is acceptable as notification for TIA and at least two smaller airports in the area.
I came across it looking for proof that Tampa city parks are off limits.

Well how do you explain say KMHT, Class C, that is controlled from the SURFACE to 4300 feet

If it is controlled from the surface, you are not supposed to be there

KPVD, Class C, SFC to 4100 feet

KLWM, Class D the 26 inside the blue box means it is CONTROLLED from the surface to 2600 feet.
I know what controlled airspace is and what it means.

But it does not apply to UAV flying under Part 336.

I know what controlled airspace is and what it means.

But it does not apply to UAV flying under Part 336.
Yeah! Only the professional 107 pilots need to be restricted.... :D
Explain to me why that is how it works? The ones that test and know more details, have more restrictions than a 336 that does nothing more than throw $5 at the FAA every 3 years...... LOL!

Explain to me why that is how it works? The ones that test and know more details, have more restrictions than a 336 that does nothing more than throw $5 at the FAA every 3 years...... LOL!
I didn't say that it made sense.

Reactions: ac0j

The difference of where “Part 336” (really 14 CFR 101) and Part 107 may operate, without a waiver for the 107 operation, is clear in the regs.

Nowhere in Part 101 (Hobby/Recreational) is Class Airspace mentioned.

14 CFR 101.41 states: "When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation."

One could stretch the meaning of §101.43 “No person may operate model aircraft so as to endanger the safety of the national airspace system.” Means “controlled airspace” but if that is when was meant the FAA would have written it that way.

14 CFR 107.41 (Commercial) states: "No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC)."

The reason for the difference in my opinion is Congress wrote Part 101.41 – It is verbatim from Public Law 112-95. FAA, through the rule making process, wrote Part 107.

The difference of where “Part 336” (really 14 CFR 101) and Part 107 may operate, without a waiver for the 107 operation, is clear in the regs.

Nowhere in Part 101 (Hobby/Recreational) is Class Airspace mentioned.

14 CFR 101.41 states: "When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation."

One could stretch the meaning of §101.43 “No person may operate model aircraft so as to endanger the safety of the national airspace system.” Means “controlled airspace” but if that is when was meant the FAA would have written it that way.

14 CFR 107.41 (Commercial) states: "No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC)."

The reason for the difference in my opinion is Congress wrote Part 101.41 – It is verbatim from Public Law 112-95. FAA, through the rule making process, wrote Part 107.
Thanks. as I figured then, too much information sloppily organized by people who really dont care if it works or not.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d