DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return failure

dennyc39

Reactions
Mavic Pro with lots of flights. I have had no issues with this drone. But today, it failed in the middle of RTH. I use the RTh/ butto a lot, because I want to have a good feel for its reliability and precision.

Today I did a precision takeoff using DJI GO 4, and flew it around normally for about 15 minutes. When the drone was a little over 100 feet away and perhaps 4 feet altitude, I initiated RTH with the button. RTH altitude was set to 70 m, about 210 feet, and max altitude to 122m / 400 feet. The drone started a vertical climb as expected, with screen message "Returning to home" and the beep-beep pairs announcing the return to home. However, it climbed right through 210 feet and went on up until it hit the 400 ft max altitude. At this point it stopped and continued to hover at 400 feet, and showed no sign that it knew what to do next. A second beep began, overlaid on the RTH beep pairs. Just a regular beep-beep-beep sound that I don't recall hearing before.

I finally hit the pause button and flew it home manually. I have the screen recording, and could see that GPS was normaL (10), and signal strength was normal. Enough battery was left, perhaps 40%. No messages or errors were displayed. I then took the drone home, charged it up and flew it again without changing any settings. All was normal, including the return-to-home operation.

Any ideas on what failed here? I'm concerned about the unexpected and uncommanded climb, and also the inability to use RTH in the event I needed it. I have practiced flying it home using only the RC display, because I have had a few disconnects.

Mavic Pro with lots of flights. I have had no issues with this drone. But today, it failed in the middle of RTH. I use the RTh/ butto a lot, because I want to have a good feel for its reliability and precision.

Today I did a precision takeoff using DJI GO 4, and flew it around normally for about 15 minutes. When the drone was a little over 100 feet away and perhaps 4 feet altitude, I initiated RTH with the button. RTH altitude was set to 70 m, about 210 feet, and max altitude to 122m / 400 feet. The drone started a vertical climb as expected, with screen message "Returning to home" and the beep-beep pairs announcing the return to home. However, it climbed right through 210 feet and went on up until it hit the 400 ft max altitude. At this point it stopped and continued to hover at 400 feet, and showed no sign that it knew what to do next. A second beep began, overlaid on the RTH beep pairs. Just a regular beep-beep-beep sound that I don't recall hearing before.

I finally hit the pause button and flew it home manually. I have the screen recording, and could see that GPS was normaL (10), and signal strength was normal. Enough battery was left, perhaps 40%. No messages or errors were displayed. I then took the drone home, charged it up and flew it again without changing any settings. All was normal, including the return-to-home operation.

Any ideas on what failed here? I'm concerned about the unexpected and uncommanded climb, and also the inability to use RTH in the event I needed it. I have practiced flying it home using only the RC display, because I have had a few disconnects.

Was there a low sun facing the drone? Check your obstacle avoidance settings. It’s a possibility that it sensed the sun as an obstacle. It will have continued to try to climb over it, if that was your setting, until reaching the max altitude.
If it occurs again due to the sun, either pause the flight while you turn off OA or switch to sport mode, which turns them off, and fly home. You could always turn the craft slightly away from the sun, or fly her home backwards.

Reactions: jason38
Reactions: choo choo
Was there a low sun facing the drone? Check your obstacle avoidance settings. It’s a possibility that it sensed the sun as an obstacle. It will have continued to try to climb over it, if that was your setting, until reaching the max altitude.

Yes, the sun was rather low, and the drone was heading into it. Although it was close to noon, the sun only gets to about 23 degrees this time of year. That is a likely explanation. Thanks.

Sun triggering OA makes a lot of sense and answers the question if RTH OA is limited by max altitude. Answer: Yes!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Famousjonny