DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return to home function, the accuracy has really gone to the dogs..

Dr Bob

Reactions
So, I've owned my mavic since May, and usually my RTH function was accurate to within a few inches of my take off point.

However, sing the latest firmware update, calling the aircraft home usually ends with the mavic trying to land feet (6/8/10/12 feet) away from the take off point , sometimes the mavic wants to come down on my roof of the house, or in the lake etc etc.

Anyone out there any suggestions?

I've not notice any difference and have the latest firmware. Lands within a foot or two of the take off point.

GPS/GLONASS is not accurate down to inches. So it is what it is. You don't mention the number of sats that you had when the Mavic was landing but this will certainly make a difference.

My recommendation... don't use RTH unless you don't have a choice and/or take control for the landing. This should always be the preferred method of landing. I'd also recommend not taking off so close to an obstacle, such as your house, lake, etc. Doing so and then using RTH to land is voluntarily putting yourself in a bad situation.

Just let your mavic hover in place after it takes off for some 5 seconds or more, it may help.
Personally I think you should try "Precise Landing": activate it in the app under the aircraft settings, then when you take off be sure to mark the checkbox "Precise landing". The mavic will take off to a higher AGL than usual, circa 20 ft / 6 meters, taking still of the place from its downward vision sensors in order to make a perfect landing. That really kicks as$.
BTW 2 days ago I did a RTH after a normal ("precise" checkbox unchecked) takeoff, with my usual 5-6 seconds hovering before moving out, and the Mavic got back with the same heading at less than 2 inches off from the starting position.
And some people was looking and ooow-ing at it coming straight back to me while me, RC left on the bag, was skinning up and lighting a cigarette and this late Tuesday afternoon looked just fine :)

So, I've owned my mavic since May, and usually my RTH function was accurate to within a few inches of my take off point.

However, sing the latest firmware update, calling the aircraft home usually ends with the mavic trying to land feet (6/8/10/12 feet) away from the take off point , sometimes the mavic wants to come down on my roof of the house, or in the lake etc etc.

Anyone out there any suggestions?
Had something similar. Reset the compass seem to help quite a bit

I have only flow a couple times since the update. Always do the swipe precision take off, and the return to home was within inches of the take off.
on either my iPhone 6 or iPad mini 4. Running current iOS, FW, GO4 app.

Do you take off right after you turn your drone on?

If so, you might want to wait an extra 1 min or 2 for the drone to register the home location.

Taking off immediately might result with delayed home position registration

Just let your mavic hover in place after it takes off for some 5 seconds or more, it may help.
Personally I think you should try "Precise Landing": activate it in the app under the aircraft settings, then when you take off be sure to mark the checkbox "Precise landing". The mavic will take off to a higher AGL than usual, circa 20 ft / 6 meters, taking still of the place from its downward vision sensors in order to make a perfect landing. That really kicks as$.
BTW 2 days ago I did a RTH after a normal ("precise" checkbox unchecked) takeoff, with my usual 5-6 seconds hovering before moving out, and the Mavic got back with the same heading at less than 2 inches off from the starting position.
And some people was looking and ooow-ing at it coming straight back to me while me, RC left on the bag, was skinning up and lighting a cigarette and this late Tuesday afternoon looked just fine :)

lmao like a baus

Reactions: Vilco
I usually calibrate the compass (usually asks for it) and I wait until I have good GPS, and I always check the precision home point box. then swipe to launch, let it hover at about 16' for a while it tells me that the HP is set.

yeah guys , I always have a good few sats in view (usually 20 or so) and never take off before the home point is updated.

I also always tick the precise landing box too.

I will try a few suggestions made here, including resetting compass and other in app settings.

Will update any progress later.

No difference to me. I turn it on, wait for a good satellite lock (a few mins sometimes). Start motors, manually update home point and verify. Take off is a slow, vertical climb to 30ft to let precision register than fly off. Returns to within inches normally.

Have you made sure the downward sensors are clean?

No difference to me. I turn it on, wait for a good satellite lock (a few mins sometimes). Start motors, manually update home point and verify. Take off is a slow, vertical climb to 30ft to let precision register than fly off. Returns to within inches normally.

Have you made sure the downward sensors are clean?

I gave the downward facing camera a wipe this AM before taking off, and the accuracy has really improved, back to its former glory of a few inches.

Seems it may have been a smudge or fingerprint the whole time.

Dam, should have thought of that earlier!

I used rth last evening and it was perfect. Exactly in the same place it took off. (Between 2 buildings, and on a pavement)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure