DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return to home problem

From the manual: "During RTH, the aircraft’s speed, altitude, and the orientation can be controlled using the remote controller or DJI Fly if the remote controller signal is normal, but the direction of flight cannot be controlled." So, it's good to know that if you're too low, you can increase the altitude during RTH.

The manual doesn't say anything about how controls work when in auto-landing mode. I haven't had decent weather to fly mine yet, but I don't understand the difference (if any) between the Land button on the screen (after tapping the screen RTH icon) and the landing mode you get by holding the left stick in the down position. Is it the same thing?

not really, when autolanding is activated the downward sensors may not allow the landing, when you land with the stiks you can do that

Reactions: hiflyer201
The manual doesn't say anything about how controls work when in auto-landing mode.
Don't try to use the controls while autolanding.
You'll have a fight with the autolanding/RTH programming which will continue to try to go back where it was trying to land.
If you aren't happy with where it is landing, just cancel the autolanding and land manually.

Reactions: Thomas B and WooZie
I am new to drones and just got the mavic mini. So far I am enjoying it but I am having an issue with the return to home function when I press the return to home button it will just land wherever it is at it does not matter whether I do it from the controller or the app it does the same thing. Anyone else have this problem or know what may be causing it. Thanks!

You have to wait for the voice
“The Home Point has been Recorded”
That means it knows where home is.
Never leave before you here that[emoji106]

Reactions: ICHOTT
Read the last paragraph in the manual on page 13: "RTH Procedure 4.b.".

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
Thanks for the reply the problem was I was just too close the home point.
Ah, so you must, presumably, have already flown back to be almost ‘at’ the home point so for clarity, what did you expect to achieve by pressing RTH at this stage?

Ah, so you must, presumably, have already flown back to be almost ‘at’ the home point so for clarity, what did you expect to achieve by pressing RTH at this stage?
He did not read the manual.

Hello, I was flying yesterday over the ocean, all was great, amazing footage and color.
I was at 395' and 2780' from home, battery was 40%. I initiated the RTH, as I was watching and waiting I noticed the Pro was at 690, and rising and was still 2780, from home. I immediately disengaged the RTH yet it continued to rise as I was holding down the decent toggle, it topped out at 1009'.
I was able at that time to fly back to my home, however at 1000'. during this time I was still holding down the decent toggle, no loss of altitude. And at the same time the controller was saying "landing". My power now was down to 36%. I switched to sport mode and it slowly started to descend very slowly, go down 10' then up 5', I was still above 900'. It was going down so slow it took 10% battery and and 5 minutes.
FInally I was landing, hovering 2' above the pad when it dropped and hit the ground, and took off up about 20, I was not touching any toggles when this happened. I was able to control the drone and land, no damage.
Scared to use RTH again.
Any ideas?

Reactions: BossOlive
Hello, I was flying yesterday over the ocean, all was great, amazing footage and color.
I was at 395' and 2780' from home, battery was 40%. I initiated the RTH, as I was watching and waiting I noticed the Pro was at 690, and rising and was still 2780, from home. I immediately disengaged the RTH yet it continued to rise as I was holding down the decent toggle, it topped out at 1009'.
I was able at that time to fly back to my home, however at 1000'. during this time I was still holding down the decent toggle, no loss of altitude. And at the same time the controller was saying "landing". My power now was down to 36%. I switched to sport mode and it slowly started to descend very slowly, go down 10' then up 5', I was still above 900'. It was going down so slow it took 10% battery and and 5 minutes.
FInally I was landing, hovering 2' above the pad when it dropped and hit the ground, and took off up about 20, I was not touching any toggles when this happened. I was able to control the drone and land, no damage.
Scared to use RTH again.
Any ideas?
This should be in its own thread under the proper forum. This thread is under a Mini forum.
Since "pro" was mentioned, I assume this is not a Mini.

This should be in its own thread under the proper forum. This thread is under a Mini forum.
Since "pro" was mentioned, I assume this is not a Mini.
i agree @DanMan32 this thread has been very unusual, it gone from MM to MP and back several times

Reactions: WooZie
I am new to drones and just got the mavic mini. So far I am enjoying it but I am having an issue with the return to home function when I press the return to home button it will just land wherever it is at it does not matter whether I do it from the controller or the app it does the same thing. Anyone else have this problem or know what may be causing it. Thanks!
sorry to hear your problem , my mavic pro platinum having similar problem too but my is while i m flying the drone then suddendly the retunr home trigger and the drone auromatic flying back home...... i asked many places and most of them said the problem most likely come from the remote controller .

sorry to hear your problem , my mavic pro platinum having similar problem too but my is while i m flying the drone then suddendly the retunr home trigger and the drone auromatic flying back home...... i asked many places and most of them said the problem most likely come from the remote controller .
It might not be a problem, it might be Low Battery RTH - see p13 in the manual here: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/Mavic_Pro_User_Manual_v2.0_en.pdf
But if you post recorded flight data, that will help confirm what the issue is.

From the manual: "During RTH, the aircraft’s speed, altitude, and the orientation can be controlled using the remote controller or DJI Fly if the remote controller signal is normal, but the direction of flight cannot be controlled." So, it's good to know that if you're too low, you can increase the altitude during RTH.
The manual doesn't say anything about how controls work when in auto-landing mode. I haven't had decent weather to fly mine yet, but I don't understand the difference (if any) between the Land button on the screen (after tapping the screen RTH icon) and the landing mode you get by holding the left stick in the down position. Is it the same thing?
Another thing to be aware of, the manual says that as the Mini is automatically climbing to its configured RTH altitude, touching the throttle stick will interrupt the climb if the Mini has already reached a 20m height or more. It will stop climbing and return at that current height.

During RTH you have input on speed, yaw and altitude, but you cannot use the control sticks to deviate the Mini's path from a straight line back to the Home Point (unless you cancel RTH). You can however, while the Mini is already enroute in RTH mode, select a new Home Position to redirect the Mini to automatically change course to that new Home Point.

In RTH mode, once the Mini has started to automatically descend you have full control, including moving forward/back, side-to-side, even increasing throttle to stop the descent and climb back up. But the moment you release the sticks it will continue to descend to land (unless you cancel RTH).

I did a series of four videos experimenting with RTH modes to see what happens if I lose control signal while trying to do an emergency landing with my Mini in a remote location. Originally the only available Failsafe loss-of-signal response was RTH. The first three videos were from before, and the fourth was after DJI added the option to choose between three Failsafe modes:
  • Return-to-Home
  • Hover
  • Descend
Here's the YouTube playlist to all four videos:

Reactions: tribar and RogerDH
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member