DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return to home question

The secret of a good Precision landing is actually, to have a good precision take-off!
Make sure that your Mavic has and shows GPS sat' lock before you take-off - and you hear the voice telling you that the Home Point is updated.
Once you have that - do your takeoff and only use the up-stick - don't use anything else that will change the Mavic's position above the earth, or its heading. Allow the Mavic to rise to about 10 metres (30 ft), and then fly off and do your thing ... If you have done that, the Mavic will have been given the best opportunity to get a GPS and 'visual' fix on its Home Point, and will be pretty accurate in getting back to it if RTH is used ...

This is common and within specs. GPS all by itself is not more accurate than that. Correcting a little bit by sticks is normal.

The M2P has something called Precision Landing. I don't know if the M2Z does. Basically, it takes off, then stops a certain height and records and image of the HP, so it can land more squarely on that point on return. Check your owners manual for details. It's best if your landing pad has a recognizable pattern on it (like a big alphabetic letter).

Another thing to consider as you get better: hand landing. You do this completely manual (no RTH, or you turn off RTH when the bird gets low), then catch in the hand. No landing pad required. I almost always land that way. There are videos for that on youtube (ask if you don't find any) and more than one way of doing it.

Chris
I have a mavic pro and the zoom and both have precision landing i usually go about
40ft. Up at take off and RTH is pretty much prep where I took off at.

Like you I have the M2Z and when RTH is initiated it lands with an inch or so from the take off point on the pad. Just follow the advice from the pilots above and I am sure that yours will do the same.
The only time that mine is not precise is when I am using the Litchi app. and it returns to home following a way-points mission. Not figured out why yet?

I too have both, MPP, M2Z. I have found that both birds perform precision landing quite well as long as you ascend vertically, no horizontal movement to anywhere between 6m to 12m. below are excerpts from both manuals.

Happy and Safe Flying
Inno
1580066101847.png1580066064167.png

Reactions: Delmarksman
Another point worth noting (in the user manual) is the different RTH behaviors depending on whether it is initiated <5-meters from the home point (in which case it will simply land, and not try to go to the home point). Also note that if >5m and <20m, it will not climb to the predetermined RTH altitude during its RTH.

When you have learned how the GPS system works you might understand why it isn’t more exactly positioning.

The satellites running with a speed of 3.2 kilometers per second at the height of 12.550 miles. So your 3 ft from the landing pad is accurate enough.

I don't think "12.550 miles" is correct - I think you put a period where a comma should be...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones