DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Returned the MA for a MPP (I still love it though) - Thoughts on it & Some Footage

Fmoots

Reactions
After spending 14 days with the MA I've decided to return it and have gone for a MPP for a number of reasons. I did really love the drone, but the MPP has afew features that made me decide to switch. First afew things I really did like about it:

The form factor - This was the main thing I loved the most, it's SO portable and light and very very easy to travel with, everything down the the very nice bundled case and the way the RC packs down to fit nicely in a bag.

The 2.7k 60fps - This is probably the feature I will miss the most that isn't included in the MPP. Being able to achieve smooth 40% video (on a 24fps timeline) is a very nice feature.

The camera in general - I have no doubt the image quality on the MA is superior to the MPP, the 100mb/s bitrate looks gorgeous and takes colour grades very well. The extra protection around the gimbal is also a huge bonus

The extra Quickshots - The boomerang is especially nice - and I hope these will be added to the MP line at some point - although I wouldn't be surprised if these were saved for the MP2.

The rear sensors - These came in very handy afew times, especially in quickshots & POI

The features that I didn't like so much and made me switch:

The Range/Wifi - Being in a CE territory and mainly using it in urban areas I found the range quite disappointing - I would struggle to get over 500m without the video feed becoming laggy which made it very hard to frame a shot, and afew times lost complete connection and RTH trigger around 500m - 600m. I understand however, that for people using it in vast open spaces in FCC areas, this is not an issue.

The battery - While the flight time isn't bad, I was operating from one battery (I had intended to buy more) so the roughly 18 mins I was getting wasn't ideal. The extra 9 mins available on the MPP is quite appealing.

The noise levels - I know this is a debated topic, and alot of people couldn't care less about the noise - however since most of the time I was using it I was in areas that were fairly crowded - I did find it drew some unwanted attention. This doesn't just apply to people either, for example in the video below I was flying above a pond with alot of ducks flying around, I was trying to get some 60fps slow mo & the noise of the drone was quite disturbing and was disrupting to both the ducks and people in the surrounding area.

I haven't actually received the MPP yet - so I can't comment on it yet - but the three main features above I feel make it a better suited drone. The MA is priced at £780 ($1080) over here, and the MPP is £1200 ($1660) on the DJI store. I managed to get a MPP in the Gearbest Chinese NY sale for £690 ($955) so for over £500 off RRP it was a deal I couldn't pass up. And yes I know it's likely a grey import so warranty is tricky, but I guess it's a risk I'm taking.

Anyway overall the MA is a fantastic drone and would recommend it to most people, especially in FCC and travelers who need the smaller foot print. And yes i know the MP2 will probably be out in a month or so and I might regret this, but it will be priced close to double what I paid for the MPP, so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Anyway here's some of the short amount of footage I got in my short time with it. Sad to see it go!

Thanks for sharing your balanced opinion. Like most things, there is a series of tradeoffs that each person has to evaluate. For some, there is "one thing" that makes the decision easy: it could be the Air's smaller form factor, or it could be the Pro's range. For others, it's balancing quite a few variables that compels us to make a decision. For me personally, the Air's portability, camera improvements, gimbal design, rear sensors, and price point that compelled me over the Pro's range and extra battery life. I can certainly see the argument the other way around, however. The Pro 2 will probably be the best of both worlds, but you will pay for it.

At this very moment, the Air has some key advantages at a good price point, while the Pro has some good discounts for better range and battery life. The Pro 2 is right around the corner though, so for those willing to pay a bit more, it might be worth the wait. I'm jumping up from a Phantom Standard 3 to the Mavic Air, so I'm in the honeymoon phase right now. The Air's form factor means that I will be taking my drone a LOT more places because the Phantom is just too unwieldy for a take-everywhere experience. And I'm used to the Wi-fi range issues, so the Air's similar experience is doable for me. I miss the little bit of extra battery life, but with the Fly More Package, I'm good to go with 3 batteries.

Reactions: ToddR
Really nice samples - thanks for sharing. I hope the MPP works out for you.

I hope you won't regret your decision.
Here are some cuts from a 22:22 minutes flight, 25% battery left, 7668m travelled distance at 3500m far away ( and it was -5°C bellow freezing point).
Be sure to get PolarPro filters, because I don't fly without them.
Enjoy !
&

Here are some cuts from a 22:22 minutes flight, 25% battery left, 7668m travelled distance at 3500m far away ( and it was -5°C bellow freezing point).
Enjoy !
&

Wow very nice footage! Great range too. 3.5k is impressive. Is this FCC? Unfortunately CE is capped at 2km :( Which is still a huge distance if you can achieve it - although would likely need to be a very open landscape. I may end up missing the improved bitrate of the MA, who knows i might go back to it in future. If the MA used Occusync and had low noise props, it would probably be the perfect drone. There's always MA2 or even MP2 I guess.

After spending 14 days with the MA I've decided to return it and have gone for a MPP for a number of reasons. I did really love the drone, but the MPP has afew features that made me decide to switch. First afew things I really did like about it:

The form factor - This was the main thing I loved the most, it's SO portable and light and very very easy to travel with, everything down the the very nice bundled case and the way the RC packs down to fit nicely in a bag.

The 2.7k 60fps - This is probably the feature I will miss the most that isn't included in the MPP. Being able to achieve smooth 40% video (on a 24fps timeline) is a very nice feature.

The camera in general - I have no doubt the image quality on the MA is superior to the MPP, the 100mb/s bitrate looks gorgeous and takes colour grades very well. The extra protection around the gimbal is also a huge bonus

The extra Quickshots - The boomerang is especially nice - and I hope these will be added to the MP line at some point - although I wouldn't be surprised if these were saved for the MP2.

The rear sensors - These came in very handy afew times, especially in quickshots & POI

The features that I didn't like so much and made me switch:

The Range/Wifi - Being in a CE territory and mainly using it in urban areas I found the range quite disappointing - I would struggle to get over 500m without the video feed becoming laggy which made it very hard to frame a shot, and afew times lost complete connection and RTH trigger around 500m - 600m. I understand however, that for people using it in vast open spaces in FCC areas, this is not an issue.

The battery - While the flight time isn't bad, I was operating from one battery (I had intended to buy more) so the roughly 18 mins I was getting wasn't ideal. The extra 9 mins available on the MPP is quite appealing.

The noise levels - I know this is a debated topic, and alot of people couldn't care less about the noise - however since most of the time I was using it I was in areas that were fairly crowded - I did find it drew some unwanted attention. This doesn't just apply to people either, for example in the video below I was flying above a pond with alot of ducks flying around, I was trying to get some 60fps slow mo & the noise of the drone was quite disturbing and was disrupting to both the ducks and people in the surrounding area.

I haven't actually received the MPP yet - so I can't comment on it yet - but the three main features above I feel make it a better suited drone. The MA is priced at £780 ($1080) over here, and the MPP is £1200 ($1660) on the DJI store. I managed to get a MPP in the Gearbest Chinese NY sale for £690 ($955) so for over £500 off RRP it was a deal I couldn't pass up. And yes I know it's likely a grey import so warranty is tricky, but I guess it's a risk I'm taking.

Anyway overall the MA is a fantastic drone and would recommend it to most people, especially in FCC and travelers who need the smaller foot print. And yes i know the MP2 will probably be out in a month or so and I might regret this, but it will be priced close to double what I paid for the MPP, so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Anyway here's some of the short amount of footage I got in my short time with it. Sad to see it go!

Get the DJI Care refresh it's a substitute for the grey market warranty, and it is available outside the country of purchase unlike the warranty

My above videos are shot using MPP. Forgot to mention CE since I'm in Romania. As for range limit I could not achieve it yet but if the height is sufficient it can go pretty far ( +4km at ~100m altitude).
Filter used: PolarPro ND8.
If the weather is great you can get awesome images. As for a small bitrate increase, I would trade it everyday for better range. At great distances I still have on point response and can fine tune the gimbal and control of the drone.

Reactions: Fmoots
My above videos are shot using MPP. Forgot to mention CE since I'm in Romania. As for range limit I could not achieve it yet but if the height is sufficient it can go pretty far ( +4km at ~100m altitude).
Filter used: PolarPro ND8.
If the weather is great you can get awesome images. As for a small bitrate increase, I would trade it everyday for better range. At great distances I still have on point response and can fine tune the gimbal and control of the drone.

Ahh ok, apologies, I had thought these were from the MA. I'm happy to hear this is MPP footage in that case, looks very nice. And I agree in regards to distance, I know some people don't require great distances but this along with smooth 1080p solid stream is what I'm looking for.

In terms of ND's, are the PolarPro ones generally regarded are better quality than the DJI ones?

Regarding PolarPro I had an issue with one of them, more exactly the ND8 used in this video.
I have a dot, size of needle, where the coating is missing. It's not quite in the center so it didn't damage much the quality of the video. But I wrote to PolarPro customer service and where so kind to send me a replacement free of charge.
I have seen comparison videos on YouTube between PolarPro and other brands, but PP looked the best.

Did you try the £10 camshell range extenders? I'm CE (UK) also and have had 3,000m without issue in an open area and I only turned back because I hadn't started the flight on full battery. I've not ran in an urban area yet but my Spark managed 800m above Edinburgh with said extenders some I'm confident the MA will get over 1,000m with good video feed.

Thought I'd provide an update on this, now that I've had the MPP for a month and took it on my recent trip to Singapore & Australia. Do I regret returning the Air? Well yes and no. A couple of thoughts after owning both:

Image quality on the Air is vastly superior in my experience. Maybe my MPP camera is a dud (since I've read it can be abit of a lottery), but the noise and grain on the MPP is very very noticable compared to the Air, even at 100 ISO. This was partly down to +1 sharpening (which makes it VERY obvious) and 0 -1 -1 with 2.7k makes it slightly better but it's still not great. The footage tends to fall apart when colour grading, and i found the Air footage held up alot better (expected due to the increased bittrate)

The size of the Air is very nice. I had alot of gear in my carry on luggage, and having the Air being half the weight of the MPP would have been nice.

The MPP is a much much quieter drone, which is probably one of the best features. I know this has been debated whether noise really matters to people, but the different between the two is huge, and I couldn't go back to how noisy the Air is in comparison. I used it on some busy beaches in Australia and is soon as the drone was in the Air it is barely audible at all over the background noise, and does not draw much attention at all.

The battery life on the MPP seems to last forever compared, which is also a nice upgrade.

Occusync is night and day compared to the Wifi in Urban areas, the feed is always super smooth and in areas where I was previously getting complete signal loss with the Air the MPP does not have an issue at all. In open areas this isn't much of an issue, and I've found myself never flying more than 1.5km - 2km anyway, so range isn't really an issue on the Air, it's just the quality of the video feed/lack of interference that's improved.

As an aircraft, I'm very very impressed with the MPP, especially how long you can fly it for, the insane range and always super stable connection and how stealthy quiet it is. However I am very disappointed in the camera quality. At +1 sharpening 4k the footage is sometimes unsuable unless you fork out for Neat video to get rid of the noise. Overall I am happy with the MPP and the camera trade off is worth it for what I use it for.

The Air's camera is undoubtedly it's best feature, and despite all the great features of the MPP i just mentioned, I know for alot of people image quality is what matters. Which makes the Air superior to many.

So anyway if anyone is on the fence about the two those are my thoughts.

If the MP2 keeps noise level & battery the same or better, has occusync, has the same form factor or smaller (although it may be larger) and has the imagine quality of the Air or better, it will be some piece of kit

Enjoy !
&

shamus, may I ask what settings you used for this footage on your MPP? Resolution, framerate, picture profile and sharpening/saturation/contrast settings? And presume you used the PolarPro ND's for shutter speed of double framerate? Footage is very nice!

Thought I'd provide an update on this, now that I've had the MPP for a month and took it on my recent trip to Singapore & Australia. Do I regret returning the Air? Well yes and no. A couple of thoughts after owning both:

Image quality on the Air is vastly superior in my experience. Maybe my MPP camera is a dud (since I've read it can be abit of a lottery), but the noise and grain on the MPP is very very noticable compared to the Air, even at 100 ISO. This was partly down to +1 sharpening (which makes it VERY obvious) and 0 -1 -1 with 2.7k makes it slightly better but it's still not great. The footage tends to fall apart when colour grading, and i found the Air footage held up alot better (expected due to the increased bittrate)

The size of the Air is very nice. I had alot of gear in my carry on luggage, and having the Air being half the weight of the MPP would have been nice.

The MPP is a much much quieter drone, which is probably one of the best features. I know this has been debated whether noise really matters to people, but the different between the two is huge, and I couldn't go back to how noisy the Air is in comparison. I used it on some busy beaches in Australia and is soon as the drone was in the Air it is barely audible at all over the background noise, and does not draw much attention at all.

The battery life on the MPP seems to last forever compared, which is also a nice upgrade.

Occusync is night and day compared to the Wifi in Urban areas, the feed is always super smooth and in areas where I was previously getting complete signal loss with the Air the MPP does not have an issue at all. In open areas this isn't much of an issue, and I've found myself never flying more than 1.5km - 2km anyway, so range isn't really an issue on the Air, it's just the quality of the video feed/lack of interference that's improved.

As an aircraft, I'm very very impressed with the MPP, especially how long you can fly it for, the insane range and always super stable connection and how stealthy quiet it is. However I am very disappointed in the camera quality. At +1 sharpening 4k the footage is sometimes unsuable unless you fork out for Neat video to get rid of the noise. Overall I am happy with the MPP and the camera trade off is worth it for what I use it for.

The Air's camera is undoubtedly it's best feature, and despite all the great features of the MPP i just mentioned, I know for alot of people image quality is what matters. Which makes the Air superior to many.

So anyway if anyone is on the fence about the two those are my thoughts.

If the MP2 keeps noise level & battery the same or better, has occusync, has the same form factor or smaller (although it may be larger) and has the imagine quality of the Air or better, it will be some piece of kit

Do you have an example of the noisy video

Do you have an example of the noisy video

Yes I have quite afew videos straight from camera I took on various beaches in varying lighting conditions in Australia. I’ll upload the raw files to my gdrive & post links, wouldn’t mind people giving thoughts if it’s normal or I may have camera issues

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne