DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Returning from Ecuador and the Galapagos with my Mavic

thumbpilot

Reactions
I've just returned from my trip to Ecuador. We flew into Quito and then on to Puerto Ayora to catch the Celebrity Cruise Ship Xploration, a 90' Catamaran with 8 staterooms. I did a lot of research about bringing my Mavic into Ecuador and was worried I'd be extorted for a large import fee.

First off, I was never able to find anywhere that showed the current up to the minute regulations on the import of drones.

There was no form of any kind that asked me to declare what I was bringing into the country.

My Mavic was not hidden in anyway. It was in my carry on bag that was filled with my 4 small cameras, 2 large cameras, a small portable router, various batteries and prescription meds. It was x rayed at Border Security. I had no problems getting it into the country. Zero. My bags did not get any further inspections. This said, I was never able to fly the drone while on the cruise.

I had many opportunities to fly while in Puerto Ayora and I learned later that there is a permit available at City Hall if you wish to be 100% legal. I don't know what the charge would be for the permit OR if declaring it at City Hall would trigger the import duty. I had not brought the drone to video this little strange town. (12,000 people) and I didn't want to risk not having the drone while on the cruise. BUT, I never got a clean opportunity to fly while on the cruise. We were on a very small and expensive ship. There were just 14 passengers.

While on any of the Islands in the Galapagos Park you are never left alone. You have a Guide/Minder. He was a pleasant guy but I assumed that if I broke the rules while under his gaze he would be in big trouble. It is against the rules to fly in the park without written permission from the Park Authority and you have to jump thru a few hoops and shell out some cash to get a permit for professional video production.

I have a 333 exemption as a commercial drone operator, it expires at the end of the month, Feb. 2018.

Halfway thru the cruise my sister asked our Guide about the use of a drone. He said that a month before someone was allowed to video the ship away from the Island. The operator crashed the aircraft into the moving ship and that soured the Captain about anymore drone flights. Later I approached the Guide, and told him I was carrying a small drone and understood the rules that govern them. I also told him I was a Private Pilot and was granted Commercial Authority to use the drone in the United States. I asked if I could make a short flight above the Ship ship while it was stopped and do a panorama of the bay we were anchored in. I told him the height and distance from the ship I would fly and had no problem with his oversite. I would not fly over the Island. He said he would inquire about it with the Captain. I never got permission.

So, I got the Mavic into the country without any problem, but was unable to use it. You might ask, why ask permission. Why not get up early and go up the top deck an do a quick flight while the crew is busy. The ship always has a generator or something running. It was never quiet. But I was traveling with my wife and another couple. And this was a very expensive trip. I got many great pictures from the ground and underwater. I didn't want to ruin the enjoyment of the trip for my wife or friends by breaking the rules.

Truly, it makes no sense that drones are banned. It's just that they are new and the public in many ways has been conditioned to distrust them. What i hear often is the loss of privacy? Like there are no cameras on any beach? And most have given their privacy away on stupid social media.

Hope this is helpful.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Galapagos is an amazing place and it is sad you didn't had the chance to use your drone there.

The mistake was to talk with the guide, you don't need permission to use a drone in the islands. There is no legislation yet in Ecuador about the use of drones.

I've just returned from my trip to Ecuador. We flew into Quito and then on to Puerto Ayora to catch the Celebrity Cruise Ship Xploration, a 90' Catamaran with 8 staterooms. I did a lot of research about bringing my Mavic into Ecuador and was worried I'd be extorted for a large import fee.

First off, I was never able to find anywhere that showed the current up to the minute regulations on the import of drones.

There was no form of any kind that asked me to declare what I was bringing into the country.

My Mavic was not hidden in anyway. It was in my carry on bag that was filled with my 4 small cameras, 2 large cameras, a small portable router, various batteries and prescription meds. It was x rayed at Border Security. I had no problems getting it into the country. Zero. My bags did not get any further inspections. This said, I was never able to fly the drone while on the cruise.

I had many opportunities to fly while in Puerto Ayora and I learned later that there is a permit available at City Hall if you wish to be 100% legal. I don't know what the charge would be for the permit OR if declaring it at City Hall would trigger the import duty. I had not brought the drone to video this little strange town. (12,000 people) and I didn't want to risk not having the drone while on the cruise. BUT, I never got a clean opportunity to fly while on the cruise. We were on a very small and expensive ship. There were just 14 passengers.

While on any of the Islands in the Galapagos Park you are never left alone. You have a Guide/Minder. He was a pleasant guy but I assumed that if I broke the rules while under his gaze he would be in big trouble. It is against the rules to fly in the park without written permission from the Park Authority and you have to jump thru a few hoops and shell out some cash to get a permit for professional video production.

I have a 333 exemption as a commercial drone operator, it expires at the end of the month, Feb. 2018.

Halfway thru the cruise my sister asked our Guide about the use of a drone. He said that a month before someone was allowed to video the ship away from the Island. The operator crashed the aircraft into the moving ship and that soured the Captain about anymore drone flights. Later I approached the Guide, and told him I was carrying a small drone and understood the rules that govern them. I also told him I was a Private Pilot and was granted Commercial Authority to use the drone in the United States. I asked if I could make a short flight above the Ship ship while it was stopped and do a panorama of the bay we were anchored in. I told him the height and distance from the ship I would fly and had no problem with his oversite. I would not fly over the Island. He said he would inquire about it with the Captain. I never got permission.

So, I got the Mavic into the country without any problem, but was unable to use it. You might ask, why ask permission. Why not get up early and go up the top deck an do a quick flight while the crew is busy. The ship always has a generator or something running. It was never quiet. But I was traveling with my wife and another couple. And this was a very expensive trip. I got many great pictures from the ground and underwater. I didn't want to ruin the enjoyment of the trip for my wife or friends by breaking the rules.

Truly, it makes no sense that drones are banned. It's just that they are new and the public in many ways has been conditioned to distrust them. What i hear often is the loss of privacy? Like there are no cameras on any beach? And most have given their privacy away on stupid social media.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks a lot for posting, I'm leaving Monday night and plan on bringing my Mavic

Thanks a lot for posting, I'm leaving Monday night and plan on bringing my Mavic

Please let us know if you have any issues. This weekend I'll be flying from Quito to Baltra/Puerto Ayora and then on to Puerto Villamil for a hike up to the volcano, but I'll be all land-based. I'm wondering if I could just rent a kayak and head out a bit and hand launch the Mavic from there.

Please let us know if you have any issues. This weekend I'll be flying from Quito to Baltra/Puerto Ayora and then on to Puerto Villamil for a hike up to the volcano, but I'll be all land-based. I'm wondering if I could just rent a kayak and head out a bit and hand launch the Mavic from there.

Arrived in Guayaquil this morning and had no issues with my Mavic at customs.

hey guys, i am in ecuador for the second time right now and brought my mavic mini. the actual law states that you are allowed to bring a drone worth not more than $500. if it's worth more you might be charged 35% of the drone's value.

from my experience there are absolutely no hickups at the airports and unless you have to unlock a geo zone you can fly pretty much anywhere on the mainland except for restricted zones, of course.

a big exception are the galapagos islands. drones are an absolute no go here. i saw a mavic pro being flown over the port of puerto baquerizo moreno but that was absolutely reckless since it took off somewhere on a hotel roof, made its rounds and flew back. but i guess that was the occasional idiot ruining it for the rest of us.

i managed to talk to a guide and he let me have a quick go over the "el mango" viewpoint on isabela island, but we were completely alone.

almost every official spot is marked with "no drones" signs and you always have to leave your passport number, time of arrival, name, signature and destination upon arrival.

in my opinion that is a good thing. the islands are a sight to behold for sure, but preserving and not disturbing the wild life (which we already do quite intensively) should be of utmost importance. and you can still take the most stunning pics from the ground and underwater.

cheers.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3