DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Review: Extremely inexpensive air drop system

Thmoore

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I’ve had a fairly stupid desire to haul stuff around with my drone and, on occasion, drop it somewhere.

So I looked around at the $150+ droppers, but decided I didn’t have a $150+ desire to do that.

So I ordered a $23.89 “Airdrop Air Drop System for DJI Mavic air 2 Drone Fishing Bait Gift Rescue Remote Throw Thrower for mavic air2 Accessories” (literally, the full name) from AliExpress, which arrived today:

Here’s my report.

First off, obviously, the price is right. And the delivery was pretty good. I’d ordered the item August 12, and was promised delivery within two months, and it came today, just 24 days after I ordered it.

Next: It actually works! I don’t think I’ll be passing this down to my grandchildren, but it looks reasonably solid and everything snaps together nicely. The way it works is via a photoelectric cell that mostly covers the downward-facing auxiliary light, and will open and close when you flip that light on and off from the Air 2’s remote (you set the Function button, the one marked “Fn” that’s to the far top left of the remote, to turn the light on and off).

The great advantage of this approach is that your range is the same range as the Air 2 itself. If the aircraft can take a flight command, it can take a light command.

Here’s what’s included in the box:

IMG_8194.JPG

Let us know how it holds up. ?

Ok, so on a serious note, what sort of payload are you planning on carrying?

Question did you have any trouble with the photo sensor triggering because of a poor seal between the light and sensor?

Question did you have any trouble with the photo sensor triggering because of a poor seal between the light and sensor?
No trouble yet. When I flip the drone over and shift the sensor around a little, it can trigger. But it needs direct sunlight. When the drone is right side up, everything works as it should. The rubber band and the Velcro strap hold the sensor on pretty well.

Ok, so on a serious note, what sort of payload are you planning on carrying?
This is stupid, but the project I had in mind is that I’d like to deliver a can of beer to a friend’s front door via oarachute. I did a bunch of experimenting today and worked out a few kinks. Cans>bottles, for one.

More than anything, I’d like to figure it out generally so I can be ready when an opportunity arises

Is the arm hinged at this point ? If not that tiny servo will be subject to rather high load. The gear may strip or the motor may burn if the load is high.

1599447996960.png

The load is generally going to be attached by small metal split rings. I wouldn’t think the friction in pulling the rod past a smooth metal ring would be too bad, especially at the kind of limited weights the MA2 can lift.

This is stupid, but the project I had in mind is that I’d like to deliver a can of beer to a friend’s front door via oarachute. I did a bunch of experimenting today and worked out a few kinks. Cans>bottles, for one.

More than anything, I’d like to figure it out generally so I can be ready when an opportunity arises
Love it. if you want to do a do a load limit test just for the dropper. If you hold up the drone manually and tie say a empty bottle of water, then gradually add water/weight till it starts playing up.

Is it right the load limit is 500g for MA2/ I remember seeing a youtube video with someone testing with bottled water. I cannot remember how many they got. but it looked more then 500ml. I also Assume DJI will understate the true load limit, they would be silly to tell us the upper upper limits of loads. Because you know people will do it and go over.

This thread is almost a year old and I'm curious on your thoughts on airdrops for Mavic 2 Pros. Any particular brand or functionality to be aware of when shopping?
I’m sorry but not the one to ask as I don’t use one .
Maybe someone else in this thread will see what you ask and
give you a appropriate answer.

This thread is almost a year old and I'm curious on your thoughts on airdrops for Mavic 2 Pros. Any particular brand or functionality to be aware of when shopping?

Here's an update: the thing still works great. No problems at all. I've just returned from dropping a bunch of things on people at the beach (family members – and they all saw them coming and were grateful for the beers & sodas).

It's an absolutely no-brand-name knockoff from AliExpress, and I couldn't be happier with it. If you see a similar ~$35 item on one of those sites, I'd say go for it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato