DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rewire Security GPS Tracker...

Badgersurfer

Reactions
Well I took the advice of some folk on this forum and invested in their Drone Tracker Package...All kitted up now. I have to say I am pretty impressed by the accuracy and speed. The rewire weighs 40g and a Lume Cube strobe 10g. I purchased a roll of 3M Double Lock which is amazing stuff so I can just snap on or off either. The rewire uses GPSLive and wherever your drone hovers providing you have the 3W3 app installed you just hit the location button and it immediately gives you the option of Google Maps or What3Words coords, then you just hit the share button and send the location to the relevant searchers.

Attachments

• 20200915_222959.jpg
    20200915_222959.jpg
    603.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 20200915_222926.jpg
    20200915_222926.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 20200915_222857.jpg
    20200915_222857.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 20200915_222839.jpg
    20200915_222839.jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 20200915_222547.jpg
    20200915_222547.jpg
    552.6 KB · Views: 86
Your mounting is right on top of the AC's GPS receiver, which might be affected.

I like mounting my tracker away from the GPS receiver and AC antennas which are in the front legs.

1600225126758.png

Thank you for pointing this out. I was going to mount it on top of the battery. As i am using 3m Dual Lock I can easily put it on each battery. What do you reckon?

Attachments

• 20200916_073546.jpg
    20200916_073546.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Reactions: Romulus Archibald
Thank you for pointing this out. I was going to mount it on top of the battery. As i am using 3m Dual Lock I can easily put it on each battery. What do you reckon?

That would be better if it clears the blades.

I would mount the strobe somewhere on the bottom, as you normally look upwards towards the drone as opposed to from high looking down.

That would be better if it clears the blades.

I would mount the strobe somewhere on the bottom, as you normally look upwards towards the drone as opposed to from high looking down.
The strobe is not for me to see it is for aircraft when I am low light flying... I never fly above the 400ft limit but I often get aircraft below 400ft. Coast guard and Military choppers as well.

UPDATED: Never mind, I realize now that the subject field referred to the company / product as "Rewire Security GPOS Tracker", and I am able to find info about it. Duh.
-------
I tried searching the forums for "Drone Tracker Package" and got a few hits, but want to know which one the original poster is specifically referencing? There are a number of drone GPS trackers, and I would appreciate it if you could provide a link to the one you are referring to. Would like to know costs (1-time purchase; subscription; ?)

Boy. The company does not make it easy to figure out what the subscription costs are. If they cannot be upfront with ongoing costs, not sure it is a company I would want to deal with.

Boy. The company does not make it easy to figure out what the subscription costs are. If they cannot be upfront with ongoing costs, not sure it is a company I would want to deal with.
It is all on the site... £160.00 for the Drone GPS Package which includes the sim card and 1 years subscription then it is £60.00 per year then on... Not sure what the cost in US would be.
When you receive it it is fully configured and uses the GPSLive App and Website www.gpslive.co.uk. So you just turn it on and go. Their support lines UK are instant and very knowledgeable tech staff.
It uses all available mobile networks (not their own exclusive ones like vodaphone Curve which is very poor coverage in my area) and also uses Glonass and Galileo. It has a 800mah battery that gives 12 hours live tracking mode when it is on the move and 3 days if static. Impact resistant IP67 water resistant. Weighs 40g + (if you use it) 10g mounting cradle (included)...

I'd also have a look at trackimo for a sim based GPS tracker

I'd also have a look at trackimo for a sim based GPS tracker

Sorry for my ignorance guys[emoji23] what exactly are these external gps trackers for? Are they for when you crash you can go find them? Or do they link to the drone to provide better coverage? Thanks guys

When used with drones, I believe they are for locating a 'lost' drone.

But cant you do that already with the mavics. I lost my drone recently and used the google maps and find my drone function to track it to the drone 1.5 Kms away. Or is this a more accurate system?

But cant you do that already with the mavics. I lost my drone recently and used the google maps and find my drone function to track it to the drone 1.5 Kms away. Or is this a more accurate system?
Yes you can track the DJI providing you have power. If you lose power i.e. battery runs out and causes crash or emergency landing or it pops out then no tracking. One other point if you are relying on the DJI tracking is that if you come down in dense undergrowth it could take a lot longer than the remaining battery life of the DJI battery. A separate tracker will last for 3 days or more. I do Search and Rescue and the GPSLive app with the tracker enables me to hover over location and give an accurate W3W location. One other advantage of a tracker is that you can use it for many other things such as bikes, cars kids and dogs.... so all in all I find it a good cheap backup.

Had to google this as I never heard of it before. Very cool getting a location from three words. Learn something new every day.
Yep you have to have W3W app installed on your phone, then when you click the route button you get the option to have GPS or W3W. It works really well as all you get is a big red arrow pointing towards your tracker and gives you your current location in W3W and the tracker location in W3W... All the emergency services in the UK use it now as it is much easier to remember than GSP coords. Perfect for children and olduns. Every block over the globe is 3 meters Sq. available in 193 countries.

Last edited:

The problem with the putting anything on top of the Battery is your changing the Center of Gravity and the balance of your drone.

You need to do like lanes shows you and place it behind the drone to Counter Balance the added weight. Placing it behind the drone is perfect place for it and will not impede the Performance as much as having it on top.

If you look at how we engineered the Rescue Jackets you will see we had to Counterbalance the Jackets the same way to keep performance at maximum levels.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Float on water.

• Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
The problem with the putting anything on top of the Battery is your changing the Center of Gravity and the balance of your drone.

You need to do like lanes shows you and place it behind the drone to Counter Balance the added weight. Placing it behind the drone is perfect place for it and will not impede the Performance as much as having it on top.

If you look at how we engineered the Rescue Jackets you will see we had to Counterbalance the Jackets the same way to keep performance at maximum levels.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Float on water.
Well I have to say you have confused me here. I have been a mechanical engineer and designed models for many years and have always understood the CofG as:-
"A point from which the weight of a body or system may be considered to act. In uniform gravity it is the same as the center of mass".
Thus my 40g tracker placed on the top of the battery in my mind is as near t the CofG one could get. The position of Lanes tracker appears as far away from the CofG/Mass you could get. The only alternative to the theory I can see is that Lanes tracker could be deemed to be in the center of thrust to the rear motors. My tracker position has made no significant difference to the performance of my drone or flight time. The other issue I was confused with is how Lanes tracker doesn't obstruct the rear obstacle avoidance sensors. So if you are saying a DJI Mavic's CofG is 5-10cm off the tail end, please enlighten me?

Reactions: Ex Coelis

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000