DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RID Broadcasting Module

There have been documented cases where the pilot saw the drone and was prevented from landing or operating in the area.
I believe it and while I don't necessarily agree with it, I understand it....for now.

So what's wrong with that? If you're flying a drone around an emergency scene, you ARE interfering. You need to get your a** out of there and let the authorities take care of business
Just so we are clear, this is an example. A car and a truck collided on the interstate, no fatalities, two lanes are close and one lane is open for traffic to pass but it's slow going. Emergency vehicles are on the way but won't arrive for another 20 minutes and there are no plans to send in a helicopter. It's a delivery truck and there is beer spilled all along the highway. KDJI news has been dispatched to cover the story and they are stuck in traffic so they pull over and deploy the drone (there is no TFR in place). While circling the crash scene at 100 feet AGL and never over the accident, a trooper spots the drone, gets on the radio, recognizes it, and confronts the pilot/reporter. He says what you said to the pilot:
"You're flying a drone around an emergency scene, you ARE interfering. You need to get your a** out of there and let the authorities take care of business." :mad:
What should the drone pilot do at that point?

• Angry
Reactions: umanbean
Just so we are clear, this is an example. A car and a truck collided on the interstate, no fatalities, two lanes are close and one lane is open for traffic to pass but it's slow going. Emergency vehicles are on the way but won't arrive for another 20 minutes and there are no plans to send in a helicopter. It's a delivery truck and there is beer spilled all along the highway. KDJI news has been dispatched to cover the story and they are stuck in traffic so they pull over and deploy the drone (there is no TFR in place). While circling the crash scene at 100 feet AGL and never over the accident, a trooper spots the drone, gets on the radio, recognizes it, and confronts the pilot/reporter. He says what you said to the pilot:

Land the drone and apologize. Then go get some beer.

But isn't there something about heresay not being admissible in a court of law?

I saw a guy flying his drone and it did such and such, but without the flight being recorded it would be hard to prove anything.

All these hypothetical situations they keep coming up with justify remote id are just that, hypothetical.

How does anyone on the ground, stuck in traffic, that is not law enforcement, know that?
I wouldn't know for sure, it's just an example. If you want to take control of the my example and change it up however you wish, go ahead. I'd rather not stray too far off topic and start discussing fatalities in a hypothetical situation, but here, I'll do it for you (below); does that change the answer significantly or is it the same answer regardless?

Just so we are clear, this is an example. A car and a truck collided on the interstate, 2 fatalities at least, unknown injuries, two lanes are close and one lane is open for traffic to pass but it's slow going. Emergency vehicles are on the way but won't arrive for another 20 minutes and there are no plans to send in a helicopter. It's a delivery truck and there is beer spilled all along the highway. KDJI news has been dispatched to cover the story and they are stuck in traffic so they pull over and deploy the drone (there is no TFR in place). While circling the crash scene at 100 feet AGL and never over the accident, a trooper spots the drone, gets on the radio, recognizes it, and confronts the pilot/reporter. He says what you said to the pilot:

"You're flying a drone around an emergency scene, you ARE interfering. You need to get your a** out of there and let the authorities take care of business."

Anything else to add besides "obey the officer," stop doing your job, leave the area....? Anyone else want to chime in?

I wouldn't know for sure, it's just an example. If you want to take control of the my example and change it up however you wish, go ahead. I'd rather not stray too far off topic and start discussing fatalities in a hypothetical situation, but here, I'll do it for you (below); does that change the answer significantly or is it the same answer regardless?
You have taken this thread so far off topic already, why stop now?

Ok, no problem to end it here. If it comes up again elsewhere, we can address it then I guess; nothing like putting it off for another time and place. Or, I may start another topic; not yet sure. I don't want to argue any more than the next person but it would be nice if the community can sometimes engage in a constructive conversation and agree or disagree among ourselves before someone else outside the community does it for us. I can assure you there are lots of news organizations around the country who do not and will not take orders from the police whether we talk about drones or any other aspects of the free press and I was just surprised to see the community was similarly divided. :(

Or, I may start another topic
Why don't you do just that? There you can rant and hypostulate to your heart's content, and stay out of everyone else's "Cost of RID module/ where can I get one/which is the best?" thread.

Don't just think about it, DO IT!

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Why don't you do just that? There you can rant and hypostulate to your heart's content, and stay out of everyone else's "Cost of RID module/ where can I get one/which is the best?" thread.

Don't just think about it, DO IT!
I thought the question was already answered after many weeks and pages. Just so you know, this is the hypothetical statement that had little to do with RID IMO that derailed the topic for me and I took the bait and probably shouldn't have responded and just let him go ahead and continue to believe the drones are the problem by illegally flying and blocking emergency crews:
That gets back to the example of the person flying a drone that interferes with emergency response for a car accident. The medevac helo is blocked from landing because a drone is in the way.
It doesn't matter where the questions comes up, the hard questions will eventually need to be addressed. Maybe in this thread or not, or even in the forum might not the right place or the right crowd. Oh well, let's kick the can down the road for the third decade now and honestly, maybe let's leave it up to someone else (or the government) to "solve" these issues. Exactly why we have a full-blown topic about RID today.

Ok folks... this is a VERY sensitive and REAL topic but we must remain kind and courteous to each other regardless of how passionate we are about it (either side of the equation). Any disrespect, trolling, or Political rants will be removed and this thread will be SHUT DOWN!

We have edited this thread (heavily) and unfortunately a couple of members didn't make the cut. Let's not go down that rabbit hole any longer.

We are better than this so let's behave as such.

Allen

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tocotco80