DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RID Broadcasting Module

I only have a Mini 2 ...but sometimes post on Youtube...technically that is other than recreational,

.....From a video I saw, you can go to pre flight check and see if your RID is broadcasting...has any one looked at it to see if there is an on off switch for it?...That was not explained in the video I mentioned
There is no switch. Per FAA regulations, RID cannot have that ability.

Reactions: anotherlab
It’s possible that the FAA could slip the date for compliance, as they did for manufacturers.
No. The reason the FAA did "selective enforcement" was because the ruling on the RDQ case took too long to be released. That's not the issue with modules. There are already a number of RID modules with Declarations of Compliance (DOCs). You can find those here: UAS Declaration of Compliance

I only have a Mini 2 ...but sometimes post on Youtube...technically that is other than recreational,
Just posting to social media does not make it non-recreational. You can post recreational imagery to social media without a 107. If you took that imagery to post to social media with the intent of gathering more viewers and thus more revenue from your channel, then it's non-recreational.

If your drone has to be registered, it must have RID. That's the determining factor. Even if you're flying a 107 registered drone under recreational use, if it has a registration number on it, it must have RID.

Intended use of the resulting imagery doesn't factor into the need to RID. It's 100% tied to registration requirement.

I fly my Mini 2 sometimes Part 107 and am wondering where I am going to attach a module to it. I might end up just flying my Air2S just Part 107 and flying the Mini 2 recreationally. I also have a Phantom 4 Pro which is large enough for a module but again I might just fly that to recreationally as well.

I fly my Mini 2 sometimes Part 107 and am wondering where I am going to attach a module to it. I might end up just flying my Air2S just Part 107 and flying the Mini 2 recreationally. I also have a Phantom 4 Pro which is large enough for a module but again I might just fly that to recreationally as well.
If it’s registered, it has to have RID.

I saw one more RID module that is FAA-approved from uAvionix called pingRID: UAS Declaration of Compliance

I placed an order for one, and should get it mid-April.
You should have waited ,right now if you can find one a premium price will be paid
for them.When it gets close to the Sept . date more will come out at a much cheaper price.
Besides who would want to be in a hurry to get one of these.

Reactions: mobilehomer
I hope multiple RID module options become available, but I question the economics. I don't see the market as growing. Manufactured drones now all have RID built-in. The fleet of flying old drones will drop over time. Some companies won't see the opportunity as worthwhile. How big is the build-your-own market? They probably don't want an all-in-one, easy-to-use version anyway.

I hope multiple RID module options become available,
They will. I know of at least three more on the way to market, and/or going through FAA DOC process now.
but I question the economics. I don't see the market as growing. Manufactured drones now all have RID built-in. The fleet of flying old drones will drop over time. Some companies won't see the opportunity as worthwhile. How big is the build-your-own market? They probably don't want an all-in-one, easy-to-use version anyway.
I think this market will likely dry up to a point to a point. But it will never go away. There will always be a market for modules for those who build their own drones. But a module for non-compliant RTF drones will eventually dry up.

They will. I know of at least three more on the way to market, and/or going through FAA DOC process now.

I think this market will likely dry up to a point to a point. But it will never go away. There will always be a market for modules for those who build their own drones. But a module for non-compliant RTF drones will eventually dry up.
Have any of those three made it to market? I've been looking online occassionally and not seen anything new. I'm planning to buy a Dronetag Beacon, but don't want to regret doing so.

BlueMarks are available, but they're all backordered at the moment.

Reactions: AirStag
I'm not hopeful.

I'm of the opinion that, were there decent money to be made here, someone would be making it.

RID modules for legacy aircraft are a dead-end product with a very short market window. I was COO of a small tech firm before I retired. I would have advised against wasting time and resources on such a product with limited sales prospects, and market life.

• Sad
Reactions: MARK (LI)
Anyone hear of anything becoming available recently?
We're waiting to hear. There was a meeting today, and I'm just waiting to hear from my FAA contacts.

I'm not hopeful.

I'm of the opinion that, were there decent money to be made here, someone would be making it.

RID modules for legacy aircraft are a dead-end product with a very short market window. I was COO of a small tech firm before I retired. I would have advised against wasting time and resources on such a product with limited sales prospects, and market life.
Totally agree for all the reasons above. BTW, I see you are residing in the city of my birth. Love Santa Cruz.

Totally agree for all the reasons above. BTW, I see you are residing in the city of my birth. Love Santa Cruz.

San Mateo, Santa Cruz, and Monterey counties have some spectacular flying, and imagery up and down the N. CA coast 👍

Reactions: Grandpa
We're waiting to hear. There was a meeting today, and I'm just waiting to hear from my FAA contacts.
One suggestion for the FAA, sub 250 drones do not need registration. The addition of a module which puts one over 250 should keep the non-registration requirement.

Reactions: Grandpa
I'm not hopeful.

Older cars weren't required to comply with newer laws afterwards, but why are they doing this with drones? Remote id isn't even worth the effort.

One suggestion for the FAA, sub 250 drones do not need registration. The addition of a module which puts one over 250 should keep the non-registration requirement.
I fully understand that my Mini2 is sub 250 grams and does not require registration, however there are times that I do fly under 107, making the drone and me subject to compliance...that is why I am looking for the module...Although I have considered it, I don't really want to get a different drone.
Uashelp said that they might be posting something on social media/website soon. I asked them about the backlogs and shipping delays. Instead of kicking the can down the road, just end the insanity already. It's a bad idea, noone likes it. Tell congress to stay out of things they have no idea about. Take the real id joker away too. It's obvious that our government labels us all as terrorists. Once they get that mentality out of their head we can finally move forward.
There are a lot of bad actors out there, many of whom have posted videos on here of their illegal shenanigans and gotten all kinds of "atta boys" and "great job" recognition...people who point out that the activities are not permitted get labeled as Karens and Kens on here...that kind have activity has created a need to implement something like RID, the positive feedback expressed for illegal activity does not indicate that drone operators are terrorists, and I don't think Congress believes that, but it does convey a sense that drone operators do not have any regard for the rules.

• Love
Reactions: umanbean and Torque
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
capitalinguists