DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RID Broadcasting Module

Uashelp said that they might be posting something on social media/website soon. I asked them about the backlogs and shipping delays. Instead of kicking the can down the road, just end the insanity already. It's a bad idea, noone likes it.

You're just frustrating yourself with thinking like this. Forgetting that we drone enthusiasts and commercial pilots share this nation with 330 million other people is where you keep making a huge mistake.

I'd bet that the vast majority of the ignorant public absolutely adores RID. When brought up to speed on the specific details, I'll bet most of them love it even more.

Their opinions on policy and how we collectively should be governed carry as much weight as yours – as it should.

Tell congress to stay out of things they have no idea about.

Try that. In fact, approach your differences with others this way generally in life and see how successful, or frustrated, you are.

I suggest there is a much better way. Peruse the postings by @Vic Moss to see an example.

Take the real id joker away too. It's obvious that our government labels us all as terrorists. Once they get that mentality out of their head we can finally move forward.

You must be very young (20's?) to see the rest of your body politic this way. You are guaranteed to experience on-going frustration, disappointment, and anger approaching the messy, ugly, necessarily compromising process of agreeing on rules for all of us to live by.

As long as you view others this way, particularly those with power that you don't have, not only will you have a very hard time getting your views accommodated, but you'll be largely ignored and your views will be shunned by some that otherwise might be willing to listen and be persuaded.

Civics is hard work and time-consuming. Yet, it's unavoidable by the self-ruled.

Good luck to you, @lookout. I mean it sincerely. With your views toward your fellow man and citizens, I expect you'll encounter a lot of frustration, obstacles, and lost opportunities.

Unless you plan to do a Ted Kaczynski (minus the bombings) in some shack in Northern Montana, it's those same people you so disdain that play a huge role in those things above, especially the last.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
There are a lot of bad actors out there, many of whom have posted videos on here of their illegal shenanigans and gotten all kinds of "atta boys" and "great job" recognition...people who point out that the activities are not permitted get labeled as Karens and Kens on here...that kind have activity has created a need to implement something like RID, the positive feedback expressed for illegal activity does not indicate that drone operators are terrorists, and I don't think Congress believes that, but it does convey a sense that drone operators do not have any regard for the rules.
Mark are you sure you are part of the drone community? There aren't a lot of bad drone videos getting the support for doing bad things with their drone, from fellow drone flyers. Those are non-drone flyers pretending like the entire flock of drone flyers are bad people and pat each other on the back when they do crazy stuff. Not only are there not a bunch of egregious drone videos out there but also I see just as many if not more comments *against* it. You're not a supporter of the drone community when you let this divide us since everything that you have seen is just a dream on youtube; have you ever in your life actually seen a drone doing something crazy awful? No, because it's so uncommon that is basically irrelevant.

...unlike cars and motorcycles speeding, people brawling and fighting in the street, protestors and rallies, gun violence, and everything else you witness with your eyes so you know it's true. A bunch of yt videos but never seeing or hearing anything in real life just doesn't cut it. Implementing RID will do zero to reduce what you see on YT.

So like they're going to use remote id from your video posted on YouTube to find you for being a bad actor. Because if you were standing there when the bad actor was flying, you'd be too busy ducking or something like that. Wouldn't have anytime to even pull out my smartphone and try to identify who's flying. Is his flying bad or what? I don't know, I suspect he's up to something, but I'm too busy trying to avoid getting hit by a crazy drone to find out. Yeah you might have to watch the video to figure out whether he was up to something or not. Maybe you won't be able to tell while it's happening. Maybe that's the whole joke about remote id that we've been poking at this whole time. It's like trying to prove whether climate change is actually happening or not.

Well that might actually be closer to the truth.
At this point it sounds like you are so angry that you are not paying attention to what others are saying and it is making your responses seem to be just rambling....calm down ...this is just a discussion, not something to get all worked up over
Mark are you sure you are part of the drone community? There aren't a lot of bad drone videos getting the support for doing bad things with their drone, from fellow drone flyers. Those are non-drone flyers pretending like the entire flock of drone flyers are bad people and pat each other on the back when they do crazy stuff. Not only are there not a bunch of egregious drone videos out there but also I see just as many if not more comments *against* it. You're not a supporter of the drone community when you let this divide us since everything that you have seen is just a dream on youtube; have you ever in your life actually seen a drone doing something crazy awful? No, because it's so uncommon that is basically irrelevant.

...unlike cars and motorcycles speeding, people brawling and fighting in the street, protestors and rallies, gun violence, and everything else you witness with your eyes so you know it's true. A bunch of yt videos but never seeing or hearing anything in real life just doesn't cut it. Implementing RID will do zero to reduce what you see on YT.
I fly a drone....not looking to be part of "the drone community" ...at the time I joined and became a paid member on this forum there were a lot of beautiful videos of far off places, but they were outnumbered by people posting videos taken at emergency sites where they did not belong, inside New York City, going beyond VLOS, flying over people in crowded places...all kinds of stuff and ...aside from videos people were posting with discussions of other activities that did not follow the law......The few of us who pointed out that the flight was not within the regulations were ridiculed and the people posting got a lot of support for their videos and the positions they took. I reported stuff and the staff here seldom did anything...so I stopped paying and became a lot less active on the site...Flying a drone is not a right guaranteed by the Constitution or any other legal document...it is a privilege and you earn and continue the privilege by complying with the rules...everyone wants to argue about the rules...
Any way, this is going way off topic...the reason I started the thread is because, in the interest of being compliant I am looking for a RID module....I don't need it pointed out again that it is under 250 grams, I am aware of that, but I do occasionally fly it for other than my own recreational use. The alternative is getting a drone that has built in RID.

At this point it sounds like you are so angry that you are not paying attention to what others are saying and it is making your responses seem to be just rambling....calm down ...this is just a discussion, not something to get all worked up over

I fly a drone....not looking to be part of "the drone community" ...at the time I joined and became a paid member on this forum there were a lot of beautiful videos of far off places, but they were outnumbered by people posting videos taken at emergency sites where they did not belong, inside New York City, going beyond VLOS, flying over people in crowded places...all kinds of stuff and ...aside from videos people were posting with discussions of other activities that did not follow the law......The few of us who pointed out that the flight was not within the regulations were ridiculed and the people posting got a lot of support for their videos and the positions they took. I reported stuff and the staff here seldom did anything...so I stopped paying and became a lot less active on the site...Flying a drone is not a right guaranteed by the Constitution or any other legal document...it is a privilege and you earn and continue the privilege by complying with the rules...everyone wants to argue about the rules...
Any way, this is going way off topic...the reason I started the thread is because, in the interest of being compliant I am looking for a RID module....I don't need it pointed out again that it is under 250 grams, I am aware of that, but I do occasionally fly it for other than my own recreational use. The alternative is getting a drone that has built in RID.
I'm not angry but I am disappointed that you buy into the nonsense about illegal drone flights that no one is paying attention to because it doesn't exist in the way that you point out. And, the fact you don't care about the drone community by continuously and repeatedly disparaging the hobby by embracing the hype every chance you get.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: umanbean and Torque
If you read my post again, you will notice the remark about being angry was in response to someone else...not directed at you...you do seem perfectly calm ........I don't agree completely with you but you seem calm and rational. I don't embrace any hype at all, and I do not disparage the hobby, I have never done that....I do have a problem with the individuals in the hobby who just want to argue about the regulations, abuse the privilege and think that they can do whatever they want....they are the ones that bring a focus and unwanted attention on flying drones and cause people to think they need these laws to protect them....Think RID
I live on long Island in NY...there is one guy on here who has posted videos made in NYC, where he lives and has told others how to do likewise without getting caught....another guy lives on LI ( retired cop) and he posts videos that he makes in the State Parks....you are not allowed to fly in the State Parks here...they are great videos, but they are not done legally...are there a lot of them?...No,..these are just a few that are close to where I live, and enough to make it bad for everyone in the hobby...so
Back to the subject at hand ...I still need an RID module.....anyone know of a source...or even just the name of a decent one?

If you read my post again, you will notice the remark about being angry was in response to someone else...not directed at you...you do seem perfectly calm ........I don't agree completely with you but you seem calm and rational. I don't embrace any hype at all, and I do not disparage the hobby, I have never done that....I do have a problem with the individuals in the hobby who just want to argue about the regulations, abuse the privilege and think that they can do whatever they want....they are the ones that bring a focus and unwanted attention on flying drones and cause people to think they need these laws to protect them....Think RID
I live on long Island in NY...there is one guy on here who has posted videos made in NYC, where he lives and has told others how to do likewise without getting caught....another guy lives on LI ( retired cop) and he posts videos that he makes in the State Parks....you are not allowed to fly in the State Parks here...they are great videos, but they are not done legally...are there a lot of them?...No,..these are just a few that are close to where I live, and enough to make it bad for everyone in the hobby...so
Back to the subject at hand ...I still need an RID module.....anyone know of a source...or even just the name of a decent one?
Well, I can agree with you when it comes to not being happy with the few who willfully and intentionally break the law. When you live in a state like NY or a city like NYC (no offense to your state/city) but with so many rules/regulations, it's easy to see the world as a plethora of law-breakers and willful violators constantly around you. I live in a free state and we do the same exact things here that you do in NY. But since none of it is illegal, it doesn't look so bad. Maybe the rules are the problem.

Well, I can agree with you when it comes to not being happy with the few who willfully and intentionally break the law. When you live in a state like NY or a city like NYC (no offense to your state/city) but with so many rules/regulations, it's easy to see the world as a plethora of law-breakers and willful violators constantly around you. I live in a free state and we do the same exact things here that you do in NY. But since none of it is illegal, it doesn't look so bad. Maybe the rules are the problem.
NYS ≠ NYC

I live in the Albany area and live with the same restrictions found in other parts of this country. The drone restrictions in the NYC metro area are their own thing.

Reactions: Torque
The population density in NYC make stricter rules necessary ...that being said...the PD should never have pretended that they are considering allowing drone flights......the rules they were imposing for that are just so unreasonable that they know that no one, even with deep pockets could comply with them

Reactions: Torque
The population density in NYC make stricter rules necessary ...that being said...the PD should never have pretended that they are considering allowing drone flights......the rules they were imposing for that are just so unreasonable that they know that no one, even with deep pockets could comply with them
I still say it is theft of public domain in the form of incorporation while still in the jurisdiction of the FAA.

I am not looking to open a debate about RID
And despite that short, succinct, to-the point plea... look what happened.

So far, three pages of mostly philosophical, definitely off-topic BS.

Typical here anymore, same crowd too.

Good luck finding the right RID module for you, sincerely.

Last edited:
Reactions: okw and MARK (LI)
While law enforcement does not enforce FAA regulations, they can forward information to the Aviation Litigation Division of the FAA. Whether or not the FAA goes after RID violations? That's a different situation and would probably depend on the specific situation. Someone flying safely a drone that is scheduled to get the RID update could just get a warning. Some flying a drone that interferes with emergency responders would probably get cited for RID non-compliance in addition to all of the other charges.

It's a hot controversial topic everywhere. Some forums are more **** than others
And the OT BS continues, despite the fact that you've contributed nothing to answering the OP's question, nor honored his request to only discuss sources and prices.

since it's all you quad guys that started this or whatever.
'All you quad guys'? So you don't even own one? And yet you (and others) keep droning on and on and on ad infinitum.

Last edited:
How many municipality have any idea about anything aviation? Most don't. So this whole thing is a joke from top to bottom and poorly conceived. What does a strange drone flight look like?
Absolutely, I would expect that most people in LE don't know the regulations. I doubt that RID violations would ever be the reason someone is ticketed. It will be one of the things that get added when they want to throw everything at someone who was doing something more egregious.

That gets back to the example of the person flying a drone that interferes with emergency response for a car accident. The medevac helo is blocked from landing because a drone is in the way. The odds are higher that someone involved with the emergency response would have some knowledge of RID and how to use it to locate the pilot. That's the type of situation where the incident could be reported to the FAA. In this situation, RID is less of a joke and more of a tool for emergency responders.

Or the other thing that happens is someone writes an app that logs RID data and the app forwards the data to the FAA. It wouldn't take much analysis to determine if the pilot was flying beyond what could be reasonably determined to be the LOS.

Don't they count "interference" as wanting to deploy a helicopter but couldn't even if they wanted to because there's a drone spotted in the area? How ridiculous is that?

But who spotted it? Somebody in the helicopter or on the ground?
Someone on the ground, namely the police. They will literally walk up to you (if they see you) and tell you that you cannot fly your drone at this scene because, if they needed to, they would be unable to deploy the police drone (or an emergency helicopter) as long as your drone is flying around the scene and you have to leave now or else you will be charged with "interfering."

Don't they count "interference" as wanting to deploy a helicopter but couldn't even if they wanted to because there's a drone spotted in the area? How ridiculous is that?
There have been documented cases where the pilot saw the drone and was prevented from landing or operating in the area.

Someone on the ground, namely the police. They will literally walk up to you (if they see you) and tell you that you cannot fly your drone at this scene because, if they needed to, they would be unable to deploy the police drone (or an emergency helicopter) as long as your drone is flying around the scene and you have to leave now or else you will be charged with "interfering."
So what's wrong with that? If you're flying a drone around an emergency scene, you ARE interfering. You need to get your a** out of there and let the authorities take care of business

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024mastermind