DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rise of the machines — and your shopping — as Google and Coles team up to deliver groceries by drone

They've been doing these trials around Logan in SE QLD. Quite often on our local news. I still think it's gimmicky but they seem to be persisting. See where this goes...literally ;)

Reactions: Dronut
I'm not sure how they expect to make money from such light loads. I know there's been a ton of complaints about the noise, so if they expect to make their money from mass deliveries, then they're going to have to come up with some very quiet props. It will be also be interesting to see what happens in early Spring when the birds are nesting again...

Trees, birds, wind, rain, overhead wires…..

Amazon is testing little box robots to make deliveries in our neighborhood. Again, with perfect streets, sidewalks with no cracks or tree roots it might work. Who knows?

terminator-3-rise-of-the-machines-movie-poster.jpg

• Haha
In Australia, and any rural market, a drone flight makes a lot of sense. Even prop noise can be considered a good thing since it announces the arrival of your package. In urban areas, not so much.

Drone delivery only makes sense if delivering high price, small weight / mass type products, OR remote areas where a nest truck could dispatch a drone to deliver off the beaten path to save a trip way out of a normal run route.
Delivery vans / truck are efficient, they carry / deliver hundreds of parcels a day of almost any weight / size.

Unless they go to half helicopter size drones, it's always going to be a bit of a fad.
Having nests every say 5 - 10 km grid square is just not going to be very economical / feasible / safe etc.

Courier van type hubs are like one in a major city, and work very efficiently in general.

Look at the trial in the Logan area SE QLD.
Brothers neighbours ordered a pack of Tim Tams from the local shopping hub nest, just the normal price, no extra for drone delivery, discarded little delivery box must cost a couple of bob . . . how is this going to work long term ?

This is of course the Wing (Alphabet / Google) system, think the same as being trialled in some ACT suburbs.

I know this property fairly well, I must note it is pretty impressive coming down amongst all the larger gums and pines there.

Edit typo, and as per YT video description apologies for the woman / child shrieks, I did reduce volume approx 90% to cut out the worst of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: slozukimc
Amazon tells the FAA not to investigate their accidents.

Gee, I wish I could do that.

So when it's a corporate enterprise that make billions each year it ok to fly a drone in suburbs but when it's the average Joe having a bit of fun it's stalking. Sounds like a touch of double standards in my humble opinion.

lyft.png

So when it's a corporate enterprise that make billions each year it ok to fly a drone in suburbs but when it's the average Joe having a bit of fun it's stalking. Sounds like a touch of double standards in my humble opinion.
I'd say they know where they're going with this whole thing.

Reactions: LoudThunder
I don't think Ill be getting a gallon of milk via drone anytime soon...
Sure you will, you just might not like the container they transport it in...

COW.png

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest