DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

risking Looking Silly here But.....Does Anyone Else Name their Drones

"Air Apparent" . . .

Reactions: Wade L.
My MM2 “landed” 35 feet up a spruce tree, stayed for a week amid freezing temperatures, sleet, and snow. I figured she was “toast” so bought a second MM2. Long story short, the first one, which I now call Thelma, was retrieved from the tree. The second one is called Louise. Thelma is alive and well!

Reactions: Itzmyobsession
Got a couple of Typhoon's, one is 'Hunter' and the other, an H Plus I bought on July the 4th; is named 'Independence'. More recently, I needed a much lighter, more compact, and easy to transport drone - so I got a Mavic 2 Pro - naturally this one is named 'Freedom' 😆

Reactions: BogeyBlack
Used to but then had so many I quit. Still own my original Phantom, Buster, named after my late dog cuz it really likes trees. Comes when I call too. 😁

6.jpg

Of course drones should have names. And stories.

P1 - Black Hawk
P2 - Musashi
P2V+ - MoonJet (or Maung Kyet)
P3P - Crusader
MPP - Osprey
M2P - Raven
MM - Little Bird

Writing out their names got me a bit nostalgic. I specifically got my first drone for a trip to Burma and spent the better part of 2014 - 2020 traveling to and from SE Asia with my "flycams."

P1 - Black Hawk suffered a catastrophic, but expensively repairable crash and many minor crashes. She didn't have a problem with trees, but often got into fights with fences. This was back when one separately bought a drone, a gimbal, a GoPro, and a soldering iron. If BH had a name prior to her big crash, it's long forgotten.

P2 - Musashi was named after a Japanese WW2 battleship, sported the typical red phantom stripes and a JAL logo. She carried a GoPro linked via aftermarket antennas to Fat Shark googles.

P2V+ - MoonJet was named after a Burmese girl I met on a previous trip to Yangon. The P2V+ came out a few months before my first drone trip to SE Asia and bumped Musashi off the gear list. She also sported a few antenna upgrades which made her somewhat temperamental and fragile, but she was always lucky and always brought back good video. She was the first drone I rucked overseas and was one of the first Phantoms to fly over Bagan, and the first over U Bein/Mandalay and Mrauk U. After two good flights over Vientiane, she went down hard, crashing beside the Mekong River. I thought about renaming her "John McCain." On a subsequent trip she was held in temporary custody by Myanmar Customs and then by the Lao Ministry of Tourism Police but always released. She made two trips to Myanmar, one covertly and one legally with documentation from five Ministries.

P3P - Crusader was named after the USMC/USN RF-8 photo recon plane, an aircraft built to take pictures over Communist countries. I finally had a drone that had range and dependability. She was confiscated by the Vietnamese Army in Vung Tau, but returned 2 weeks later causing her to miss a trip to Coron, Philippines but on the plus side, I ended up doing a lot more diving. She flew over Vietnam extensively on 3 long trips, but launched from no other countries, except the US. The Vietnamese call drones "flycams."

On her final and third trip to Vietnam, Crusader flew over an international border becoming my first flycam to violate another country's airspace. She also has one confirmed air-to-air kill over San Mateo CA, when my friend's P3 flew up into my landing gear then went down like a prom dress.

MPP - Osprey, named after the USMC MV-22.
M2P - Raven, named after the USAF EF-111.
MM - Little Bird, named after the USA MH-6M.

My various Mavics spent more time over SE Asia though none of them had any trouble with the authorities, thanks to lessons learned. And not a little bit of luck.

RF8 Bitexco.JPG
Crusader before a flight across the Saigon River.

Reactions: BogeyBlack
Of course drones should have names. And stories.

P1 - Black Hawk
P2 - Musashi
P2V+ - MoonJet (or Maung Kyet)
P3P - Crusader
MPP - Osprey
M2P - Raven
MM - Little Bird

Writing out their names got me a bit nostalgic. I specifically got my first drone for a trip to Burma and spent the better part of 2014 - 2020 traveling to and from SE Asia with my "flycams."

P1 - Black Hawk suffered a catastrophic, but expensively repairable crash and many minor crashes. She didn't have a problem with trees, but often got into fights with fences. This was back when one separately bought a drone, a gimbal, a GoPro, and a soldering iron. If BH had a name prior to her big crash, it's long forgotten.

P2 - Musashi was named after a Japanese WW2 battleship, sported the typical red phantom stripes and a JAL logo. She carried a GoPro linked via aftermarket antennas to Fat Shark googles.

P2V+ - MoonJet was named after a Burmese girl I met on a previous trip to Yangon. The P2V+ came out a few months before my first drone trip to SE Asia and bumped Musashi off the gear list. She also sported a few antenna upgrades which made her somewhat temperamental and fragile, but she was always lucky and always brought back good video. She was the first drone I rucked overseas and was one of the first Phantoms to fly over Bagan, and the first over U Bein/Mandalay and Mrauk U. After two good flights over Vientiane, she went down hard, crashing beside the Mekong River. I thought about renaming her "John McCain." On a subsequent trip she was held in temporary custody by Myanmar Customs and then by the Lao Ministry of Tourism Police but always released. She made two trips to Myanmar, one covertly and one legally with documentation from five Ministries.

P3P - Crusader was named after the USMC/USN RF-8 photo recon plane, an aircraft built to take pictures over Communist countries. I finally had a drone that had range and dependability. She was confiscated by the Vietnamese Army in Vung Tau, but returned 2 weeks later causing her to miss a trip to Coron, Philippines but on the plus side, I ended up doing a lot more diving. She flew over Vietnam extensively on 3 long trips, but launched from no other countries, except the US. The Vietnamese call drones "flycams."

On her final and third trip to Vietnam, Crusader flew over an international border becoming my first flycam to violate another country's airspace. She also has one confirmed air-to-air kill over San Mateo CA, when my friend's P3 flew up into my landing gear then went down like a prom dress.

MPP - Osprey, named after the USMC MV-22.
M2P - Raven, named after the USAF EF-111.
MM - Little Bird, named after the USA MH-6M.

My various Mavics spent more time over SE Asia though none of them had any trouble with the authorities, thanks to lessons learned. And not a little bit of luck.

View attachment 143755
Crusader before a flight across the Saigon River.
nice

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661