DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH accuracy MM, Mini 2, Mini SE, what do you think your average accuracy is?

on average how far from the take off point do you think your drone land

• within 1ft

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • within 3ft

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • within 5ft

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • within 10ft

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • farther away than 10ft

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Yorkshire_Pud

Reactions
Let's stick to solely the Mini series drones and a situation where the drone sets or resets the home point as or immediately after it takes off and subsequently an entirely automated RTH i.e. no stick inputs whatsoever, is used to bring the drone home and land it.
Do not consider or 'document' hand launches or landings, or flights where the home point has been reset by you at some point during the flight.

my original MM lands within 3 ft and often closer, depends on wind conditions to some extent

It is important to note that we civilians use a different GPS system than the military. Our GPS accuracy is within a couple meters while military accuracy is within a few inches. In general I don't rely on RTH to hit the spot exactly, but to get it close enough that I can land it accurately manually. Once in awhile I'll let it do a complete auto land and typically it's within a foot or two at the most.

My AIR2S is pretty well spot on ~ 1’…my MM2 recently, with the most recent firmware upgrades has been pretty consistent ~1’ also, with the exception, like Old Man Mavic says, of wind conditions. When landing I use the cross hairs, gimbal straight down to observe every time… so far, so good 😊

Reactions: vindibona1
i would just like to point out that even when i test the RTH feature on odd occasions, just to check it is functioning as it should ,by turning off the RC to make sure it will come back in a loss of signal scenario i do not just let it land, i cancel the landing at about 6ft above the ground observe it position relative to the launch point, and then either carry on with the flight or land it myself .
for me the RTH feature is a failsafe back up in the event of a loss of connection ,not something that saves you the trouble of flying the drone back home yourself
but at the end of the day it is up to the individual pilot how, or when, they choose to use it

The 1 time I used the rth button, the mm2 came back and was going to land in some nasty weeds about 10 foot from the hp. I asked about it on here and was told thats normal. The mm2 isnt pinpoint, its more hand grenade accurate. GPS and hp were recorded and set before take off.
DJI_0020.JPG
Green circle is HP.
Red circle is where it was going to land.

This is a homecoming test and 8 times out of 10 my Mini 2 in RTH comes so close to the landing pad and I think it's acceptable.

1649356140688.png

Reactions: mark.pinskey
@Skwirl I started this thread with your "weeds" and "shoreline" flights and other comments in mind.
Why don't you post the flight logs from those flights and let some of the log guys have a look at them?
So far, based on 12 votes, 3/4 of us are seeing landings within 3ft of the set-at-take-off home-point.

That's what I figured, Yorkshire.
I've been trying to find where I asked about it. Theres an explanation from one of the analysts on the mini2 rth. I asked in 1 of threads, now I cant find it.
I thought about posting that flight log, I looked at the log on airdata to. Now the button to copy the log isnt there or i dont know where to find it, lol. It's always something.
Keep in mind, i only used rth 1 time. It was advised to take control and land the drone. So that's how i do it.

Unless you actively delete them, the txt flight logs should still be on your 'phone'. Have a look at the instructions on either
DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help (3/4s the way down the page)
or
Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide
For preference I think the Phantomhelp page produces the more useful csv.
You could post the URL for the logs on here but perhaps in your old thread or a new thread rather than this thread.

@Skwirl I started this thread with your "weeds" and "shoreline" flights and other comments in mind.
Why don't you post the flight logs from those flights and let some of the log guys have a look at them?
So far, based on 12 votes, 3/4 of us are seeing landings within 3ft of the set-at-take-off home-point.

I'll do some RTH tests again as soon as I have time to fly and post the logs here.
if you are interested, I am attaching the test video and screen logs above.

RTH is stopped before the drone touches the ground.

Video: Test RTH.MP4

As you can see from the video, I perform tests in safe places in total safety, away from built-up areas and people.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Last edited by a moderator:
What happened at the start of the flight?
That I can see the log says that the motors started with the drone 3.5ft from what I assume was a previously recorded home point then at 7.5 seconds with the drone 1.6ft in the air the home point was reset.

Honestly, I only realize it now ... surely I have updated the home point just lifted from the pad.
However, I will do further RTH tests as soon as I have time.

test rth.PNG

I noticed, still using a the air1, that sometimes, the home point wasn't accurate. I wondered and found out, that i just needed to wait about 30 more seconds before starting to fly. Flying before the homepoint was set, caused (as experts will know) the homepoint actually being set about three or four meters from takeof. Could that be the cause for "of point" RTH experiences with the Mini too?

The home point resetting as the drone lifts off is quite normal as far as I can tell, it's more the question of why the drone was 3.5ft from a previous home point that puzzles me. The VPS height (height recorded by the vision sensors) also seems a bit odd. I'd need to check my logs but I think mine is usually 0 before launch.
Was the takeoff point on a slope? The drone is recording a 7 deg tilt prior to launch then, going by the barometric height, levels up before lifting-off. I see my drone do that

The vision sensors on the mini arent cameras. They look for a good landing spot, but not the exact spot you took off from.

The home point resetting as the drone lifts off is quite normal as far as I can tell, it's more the question of why the drone was 3.5ft from a previous home point that puzzles me. The VPS height (height recorded by the vision sensors) also seems a bit odd. I'd need to check my logs but I think mine is usually 0 before launch.
Was the takeoff point on a slope? The drone is recording a 7 deg tilt prior to launch then, going by the barometric height, levels up before lifting-off. I see my drone do that
This is the point where I glue, the field is sloping but where I placed the pad it is flat.

This is another record from the same spot as the previous tests.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Inkedtest123_LI.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis