RTH being used on a regular basis.

Do you use RTH when your done flying?

• Yes

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • No, I manually fly it back.

Votes: 36 51.4%

• Total voters
An example of why RTH should be used sparingly:

This is a debate that not all will ever agree on, but IMHO, you should only use it when you NEED to.

Reactions: Josedav
I use RTH almost every time I fly. Its just easy and mostly very accurate. However, I don't trust it 100%. I am usually landing in my back yard near the house and trees. I watch it when it gets over the home point and watch it descend. Occasionally, I need to take over.

I had one occasion where the RTH started flying the drone away from the home point. Fortunately, I was watching and cancelled before it got too far way.

I have been using it heavy for over 3 years with my birds .
I make lots of long runs and it is the straightest path back to save
battery . Have never had any issues using it . I am watching my screen the whole trip back in case I have to take over and if you don't learn to trust and use it you will be in a world of hurt if you ever have to use it .
I do take over when It gets back and bring it down myself as I have always hand caught
If just flying around I will fly it home but other than that..RTH ThumbswayupThumbswayup
As far as .. automated features.. I don't really know how many the Mavic has . RTH,POI and CL are about all I use .

I saw a video presentation with the author indicating it was not suggested the Mavic be caught by hand when landing, that it was dangerous and could result in cuts to the hand. You seem to have it down to an art. I would like to be able to do that in poor landing areas. Do you take any particular precautions?

Apart from occasional manual practice I use RTH every flight .. it's the ideal time to write notes about the flight and complete the pilot log. Then just needs adding the distance/time details when get home.

It returns home at a slower rate than manually flying it back though, correct? Of course in most instances it wouldnt matter if your not pushing the limits of the battery.

It flies back at 20mph but you can push right stick forward and increase speed to around 30mph.

Hand catching the mavic is easy. There are several techniques. Its a lot better than trying to crash it into a moving, pitching, rolling boat or have it spin out of control when it gets too close to metal or wiring.
Its got props so the best technique involves not sticking your hand in them but its really not hard.

Hand catching the mavic is easy. There are several techniques. Its a lot better than trying to crash it into a moving, pitching, rolling boat or have it spin out of control when it gets too close to metal or wiring.
Its got props so the best technique involves not sticking your hand in them but its really not hard.

You have to change its settings first, however (I forget which one).

I saw a video presentation with the author indicating it was not suggested the Mavic be caught by hand when landing, that it was dangerous and could result in cuts to the hand. You seem to have it down to an art. I would like to be able to do that in poor landing areas. Do you take any particular precautions?
The only thing I always make sure of is it is above my eyes and steady. Then I just reach up and get it from the center and shut it down. You just got to keep your attention 100% on what your doing.

I only hand catch my Mavic , I've found the best way is to bring it down to a steady hover a few feet away from you , slightly above your head for safety then walk up to it reach directly under in the center of the A/C firmly grab it with one hand as you throttle down the remote with the other...

I manual fly home - only as I hate the beeping sound of the Mavic controller. Its soo loud.

Used to always RTH with my Phantoms - and would too with the Mavic if I could turn down the beeper volume or disable it.

I use the quietest route home which is over open desert and I rarely fly as high as I have my RTH set so I always fly manually. Most of the time I hand catch..usually at something around shoulder level. I wait to see that it's behaving then walk up at an angle

I use the quietest route home which is over open desert and I rarely fly as high as I have my RTH set so I always fly manually. Most of the time I hand catch..usually at something around shoulder level. I wait to see that it's behaving then walk up at an angle
This thread is over 3 years old.

We are seeing a lot of that. Since this new forum update it shows similar threads at the bottom of the page and seems many of them are old. If you don’t look at the date you don’t know.

Reactions: Meta4
Why does it matter how 'old' the thread is? If there is good advice in it, it will still be relevant ten or more years from now. And updates as new hardware and software appear will continue to be relevant.

It really don’t unless it concerns rules that might have changed
and in some cases being the way this technology has changed so
may the advise in a thread might be different. .

Reactions: mfc