Do you use RTH when your done flying?

• Yes

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • No, I manually fly it back.

Votes: 36 51.4%

• Total voters

Letsgethigh469

Reactions
I rememeber a few years ago after getting my Phantom and browsing Phantom Pilots, being surprised at how many people used RTH just because they are done flying. I dont think I ever touched my RTH button on the Phantom until this year to test it as an afterthought...then cancelled it before it landed. May have tested it once before not long after getting it but it was cancelled once I seen it was working. Pretty certain Ive never even actually landed it on the ground more than once, I always hand catch it.
Fast forward to a couple weeks ago getting the Mavic I did test it once after getting a landing pad to get the sense of accuracy from the "precision landing" feature, but dont really plan on using it again unless I'm in a situation where I have to or am losing control signal etc.
Have hand caught it all but once.
From browsing on here I see its very commonplace in using RTH just because its there (or they are tired of flying?)
. I personally feel its adding more risk anytime your using an automated feature. And to add the risk just for the sake of not wanting to fly it back. I kinda enjoy the flying and is why I'm out there in the first place.
Using the automated feature of the flying modes I understand, its providing a special way of flying or allows the OP to take better pics or vids.
Just a surpising observation. Interested in hearing some opinions.

I occasionally test my Roth. But really I much prefer the assurance that I am in Control than allow something that has and can go wrong and cause an accident.
I am always of the opinion you never relinquish control fully , my fingers are always close to Sticks.

Reactions: MAVA4
For me ,it's not about mistryst.I Always check my homepoint is correct B4 I fly.
I always believe the pilot should always be in full control or at the least on overwatch if using Waypoints.
To believe any system or machine is infallible or will Always work perfectly is a Fallacy, that's why it always bewildered me when I see people putting remotes in backpacks and simply riding away while in follow me or tracking mode, it's no surprise when a drone goes Awol. Under those circumstances.
Lately my Mavic has a tendency to just Land, can't press X ,it's like it's been superimposed over. I Just press pause or Ascend and it come out of that mode immediately. Need I say if I wasn't on watch of my RC , it would be underwater.
I use that as an example .

Reactions: Letsgethigh469
Only time I ever used it was when I lost the video feed from the controller. Worked like a charm, but in each case I took over for the actual landing.

I cant see the difference between pressing the RTH button and simply holding the "forward" joystick until it comes back. Both work, neither require any skill.
As long as its set up OK and you're monitoring its return there's no difference.
I use the drone as a flying camera, Once ive got what i need i want it back on the ground so i can move somewhere else or swap a filter and do video instead etc. I'll sometimes manually land, sometimes RTH. Both do exactly the same job, both require monitoring, none require any skill above holding a button or holding a stick forward.

I have been using it heavy for over 3 years with my birds .
I make lots of long runs and it is the straightest path back to save
battery . Have never had any issues using it . I am watching my screen the whole trip back in case I have to take over and if you don't learn to trust and use it you will be in a world of hurt if you ever have to use it .
I do take over when It gets back and bring it down myself as I have always hand caught
If just flying around I will fly it home but other than that..RTH ThumbswayupThumbswayup
As far as .. automated features.. I don't really know how many the Mavic has . RTH,POI and CL are about all I use .

POI and Course Lock are the only 2 intelligent modes i use. Both handy for specific smooth video.
Things like lack of RAW photo make active track worthless to me.

Well, I guess you all have much bigger ones than I do, being such studs and all.

'Been flying RC for 40 years. Started with 2-channel gliders. Helis before these robot AI quads that a trained monkey can fly.

Do I use RTH? Yeah, almost every time. I've flown back with my own skill enough times in 40 years. Seems kind of stupid to have faith in all the other flight-assist electronics (the biggie being the Flight Controller -- doubt any of you "pilots" could fly a heli even with a gyro).

I'm lazy. If it can get itself home without me having to fly it, that's awesome. Then, all I have to do is keep an eye on it and intervene if something goes wrong. Much like when I used to fly with the autopilot as a private pilot, no longer current.

Precision Landing is da bomb!! Can I land it on my 10x14' deck myself? Sure. But it takes care. Much more fun to watch it land itself within a few inches of takeoff.

Yep, your point taken, one of the few times I did not search the topic when I created this thread. Thank you for the links and the time you took to search them, as I will browse through them. Interesting to hear different opinions. But honestly if I searched most of the threads that are currently in discussion I would bet I could pull up something related to each one of them. Including the ones you started.
Definately part of the experience of these forums or any forums is seeing repeating threads of the same topic. I do not click on the those threads that seem very mundane and that I am not interested in reading, or that seem repetitive.
I guess at some point we can just lock up "create a new thread" option and everyone can just search the topic they are interested in. I'm sure at many points in the life of a Mavic Pro forum, most all the topics are covered and have been talked about concerning the Mavic Pro, so that button would get used very little if everyone adhered to that unwritten rule.
That would make for a pretty mundane forum as well in my opinion.
All forums relating to a single hobby or topic seem to experience this. Have seen it for years. Again thank you for your time and efforts in providing those links.

Well, I guess you all have much bigger ones than I do, being such studs and all.

'Been flying RC for 40 years. Started with 2-channel gliders. Helis before these robot AI quads that a trained monkey can fly.

Do I use RTH? Yeah, almost every time. I've flown back with my own skill enough times in 40 years. Seems kind of stupid to have faith in all the other flight-assist electronics (the biggie being the Flight Controller -- doubt any of you "pilots" could fly a heli even with a gyro).

I'm lazy. If it can get itself home without me having to fly it, that's awesome. Then, all I have to do is keep an eye on it and intervene if something goes wrong. Much like when I used to fly with the autopilot as a private pilot, no longer current.

Precision Landing is da bomb!! Can I land it on my 10x14' deck myself? Sure. But it takes care. Much more fun to watch it land itself within a few inches of takeoff.
Yes I got into the helis for awhile and they are definately a different breed and "require" you to pilot them to stay in the air. It definately takes a skill set. I could fly them but not as well as guys that was doing it for years such as the 3D flying....pretty amazing to watch.

I was floored my first experience with the P3A. It is mostly automated only requiring input from the OP to tell it what to do. It maintains all the parameters of flight except input of where you want it to go or do.
And yes I hear your point. Almost like cruise control on a car.
I may have to use it a little more often to gain some faith in it, I dont know.
Of course using RTH its a given to monitor the trip back and be ready to take the controls. But it does return at a slower rate than flying it back manually from what I understand. So in those low battery instances or situations where time is of the essence....I still see manually flying it back.
But hearing the different opinions does change my original outlook and perspective on the topic.

I have been using it heavy for over 3 years with my birds .
I make lots of long runs and it is the straightest path back to save
battery . Have never had any issues using it . I am watching my screen the whole trip back in case I have to take over and if you don't learn to trust and use it you will be in a world of hurt if you ever have to use it .
I do take over when It gets back and bring it down myself as I have always hand caught
If just flying around I will fly it home but other than that..RTH ThumbswayupThumbswayup
As far as .. automated features.. I don't really know how many the Mavic has . RTH,POI and CL are about all I use .
It returns home at a slower rate than manually flying it back though, correct? Of course in most instances it wouldnt matter if your not pushing the limits of the battery.

While I always check that the correct home point has been set I’ve never once used RTH. While I do use POI and active track when I’m flying my Mavic back I prefer to be in control especially when landing or more often, I hand catch.

It returns home at a slower rate than manually flying it back though, correct? Of course in most instances it wouldnt matter if your not pushing the limits of the battery.
No when it starts back I give it full forward stick and it comes back as fast as it goes out which is with no wind 32mph .
Sure it push's the battery . Trip I did monday I had 3% when I hand caught it . Had to fight the autoland from 10% but used to that .
This is not something I do every now and then but alot .
Did it and still do it with my Phantoms and now this .
I am in a place to fly I feel safe and is no noise other than squirrels
or rabbits . So I can test Updates or whatever .

Yep, your point taken, one of the few times I did not search the topic when I created this thread. Thank you for the links and the time you took to search them, as I will browse through them. Interesting to hear different opinions. But honestly if I searched most of the threads that are currently in discussion I would bet I could pull up something related to each one of them. Including the ones you started.

Thanks for the nice words. I did not say anything against your post, just letting you know of the prior answers so you could take a look. I think you hit the nail on the head... sometimes it feels better to have someone answer your specific question. I feel the same way.

Weather you use RTH or not, its an individual choice and depends on flying circumstances and what you use your Mavic for, either way it a mode thats now in just about all top end quads and has probably saved one or two at times but for those that do use it and why the answer is simple, its becuase they can.

Reactions: B52-D and dirkclod
Sometimes I fly it back manually and sometimes use RTH. What’s the big deal? I don’t shy away from using POI instead of flying circles manually. RTH is just another feature designed into the drone and meant to be used as are all the features.

Reactions: dwallersv
I find myself using it on my MP quite often, mainly to test and make sure it's functioning properly, but also when I want to show it off to others :)

Back in the day, I rarely ever used it on my F550 because it was rather hit or miss when it came to landing, but it worked well to bring it back into my line of sight whenever I lost it :cool:

Yes I got into the helis for awhile and they are definately a different breed and "require" you to pilot them to stay in the air. It definately takes a skill set. I could fly them but not as well as guys that was doing it for years such as the 3D flying....pretty amazing to watch.
The 3D guys are a different breed. I got into this too late in life to have the reflexes to learn 3D with acceptable frustration, so I never got any good at it -- but I COULD stand on the tail and do a few cool things without crashing.

I was headed for FPV, researching cameras, gimbals, etc. when the quad revolution hit.
Of course using RTH its a given to monitor the trip back and be ready to take the controls. But it does return at a slower rate than flying it back manually from what I understand. So in those low battery instances or situations where time is of the essence....I still see manually flying it back.
There are, of course, special circumstances where RTH is a serious mistake. Distance flying is one of them.

However, most of the time I'm using my bird for what it's designed for -- an amazing aerial imaging platform. So most of the time I'm not too far (less than a mile), RTH makes sense, boring flying back does not.

Cruise control is a great analogy. I use it all the time. Whenever it makes sense. Yet, I'm also a major car enthusiast, with a modified Focus ST (done myself in my garage) that I track.

And I use cruise control in it all the time off the track.

I'm always amused by people that are utterly confident in the GPS, compass, IMU, and (for God's sake) GO4, yet feel very nervous about RTH.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore