DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why does everyone use RTH?

serpa4

Reactions
I've never had a commercially sold drone before. I've always built my own. The Mavic Pro Plat. is shipping soon and after a lot of reading, I'm surprised to see so many people using RTH daily.
I have to say after about 10 years of flying and building quadcopters, I've only used RTH maybe 3 times when I had video failures.
Why does everyone use RTH for simple things like low battery or just too lazy to fly back themselves? Seems that I'd rather keep control the whole way when possible.
How many people routinely use RTH when not in trouble?

I like when my drone follows instructions. It’s cool to know it’s flying home unpiloted.

What do you do for fun?
Fly my drone home. :)

Seems like a few people that use RTH have lost their drones; not often, but does happen occasionally. Not sure that would be an issue if they just flew it home. Just read a thread that battery was low and they hit RTH. Why? Just trying to understand.

i don't use it, I don't like how it flies so high up to RTH (i know you can custom set it), i'm always nervous about birds attacking my drone so I like to be able to watch and control.

Reactions: scalmes
I've only used RTH once when I needed to... it was a few years ago with an Inspire and I experienced signal loss. I've tested it on the Mavic just to make sure it works, but I've never had to use it. I prefer to fly manually.

Reactions: Dragonfly1
Seems like a few people that use RTH have lost their drones; not often, but does happen occasionally. Not sure that would be an issue if they just flew it home. .
Yes it does happen Occasionally but see way more threads of them being lost/crashed with them flying by the operator .
I like to fly long where I am at and always use RTH coming back because it has with all of mine . Has nothing to do with being lazy
and I get a lot of shots yawing it around and enjoying the view .
Just what I have always done .
Do what your comfortable with you bought it .
Me..I love it :)

I use it all the time , it sets the straightest line back to home without wasting time and battery. It is amazing I can fly it over 3 miles away and comes back and lands itself within a few inches if precision landing is set.

I never use it, with the exception if my RC disconnects. Happened only once, as I forgot to charge it and it ran out of battery on me. My drone obediently came home on its own. :s

It would be a drone without some automation. I had a security guard come and tell me that I was not allowed to fly. While talking to him I hit the return to home button and my little obedient Mavic flew home and landed. :) I use it off and on.

Reactions: ddean0419
I don't. Tried it once just to make sure it worked, and haven't used it since, in 375 flights.

I can't really use RTH because its gravel and weeds everywhere and so I made a raised platform from a board and some buckets, but my Mavic is too scared to land on the thing so I have to force land. It thinks its landing pad is an obstacle to avoid. It especially fun to point the camera downward and land on it with the goggles on. NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL FUN!

Reactions: Flycaster
I usually land myself, but I did have a signal loss once and was disoriented in another situation and it was comforting to hit RTH.

Why do you think the majority of people are using it?
IMHO I think most people only use it if they feel they are in trouble.
I could be wrong but it would seem to me that if you have full control of your craft, I cannot invision why a competent drone pilot would use a feature that introduces an extra bit of risk?

Rob

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost