DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH during Active Track

Phoenix Drone

Reactions
You have to keep hitting the icon that has the person to relocate the home point to where you walked or drove to, correct? Thanks.

?? My controller keeps teling me it's updating the home point during Active Track ?? I believe it updates every 6 metres or so to follow the progress of your controller (using the GPS updates from Go4 on your mobile phone/tablet).
Have a look at this vid about 'Dynamic Home Point' ...

Thanks. Anyone else. Mine is not auto-updating the home point?
I have the latest DJI 4 and firmware.

Thanks. Anyone else. Mine is not auto-updating the home point?
I have the latest DJI 4 and firmware.
What mobile device do you have, and is it actively updating its position using GPS??? It's actually the mobile device that you are using to run Go4 that should be providing the positional location for the controller.

Thanks for helping. I use a dedicated iPhone 6s without a SIM for the drone and it is connected via WiFi to the Hotspot on my primary iPhone XS phone (with a SIM and cellular coverage) at the flight site.

It is not actively updating my location. I have to constantly press my location button to make sure the RTH is near me.

Last edited:
Thanks for helping. I use a dedicated iPhone 6s without a SIM for the drone and it is connected via WiFi to the Hotspot on my primary iPhone XS phone (with a SIM and cellular coverage) at the flight site.

It is not actively updating my location. I have to constantly press my location button to make sure the RTH is near me.
OK - an unusual set-up ... The lack of Internet connectivity in the iPhone 6 should not be a bother, but you do need to confirm that you have GPS connection in the device that's connected to the controller (i.e. the iPhone 6) ... It sounds like something unusual is happening in that combination, because otherwise, this is standard stuff! Is there any way that you can try this using Go4 loaded on your iPhone XS instead, and see if by just using the one device, things happen differently??

Good idea, I will test the XS as my primary flight phone for a test only. I like the dedicate 6S so the CPU is not loaded down and there are no messages or other communications that come in during flying.

Anyone else experience not getting active track GPS updates ?

I'm probably confused but Active Track can track anyone or anything. So, if you stand atop a mountain and track a partner skiing, you don't necessary want the drone changing its home point to where the skier is?? You want it where you are still standing - atop the slope. But if you are actively tracking yourself, then you want it to change to where the controller now is?? So you have to use the Home Point update options appropriately? Or have I missed something?

I some cases you want your RTH to stay constant. But if you are moving and being followed by the drone in active track (which is often the case), you want the RTH to be where you are when you initiate it. My problem is the RTH is not dynamically moving with me. I have to manually updated it.

I some cases you want your RTH to stay constant. But if you are moving and being followed by the drone in active track (which is often the case), you want the RTH to be where you are when you initiate it. My problem is the RTH is not dynamically moving with me. I have to manually updated it.

And that is where my confusion lies. It automatically tracks BUT does it automatically reset the home point continuously? Or do you have to periodically manually reset it and then again and again. I just looked through the manual and can't find the proper reference.

A reference in the manual would be helpful.

i am also confused, so, may i ask directly? if you start from a boat, and then your boat, well, moves - what exactly should be done so your drone would do RTH to the _moving_ boat where you and your controller are?

as what is my question - in the video it has this quite an important remark - once you hit RTH it goes to the point where you wee when button was pressed. so, i presume, if you are on the moving boat - it will do RTH into the water, as you will keep moving?

Last edited:
i am also confused, so, may i ask directly? if you start from a boat, and then your boat, well, moves - what exactly should be done so your drone would do RTH to the _moving_ boat where you and your controller are?

as what is my question - in the video it has this quite an important remark - once you hit RTH it goes to the point where you wee when button was pressed. so, i presume, if you are on the moving boat - it will do RTH into the water, as you will keep moving?

I looked at the video earlier. I think there are two options. One can set the home point where the drone is now flying. So if the drone is flying from A to D but is now over B, you can set it to B. I guess you might notice it is a nice safe flat spot and select it as a good intermediary landing spot. Again, as you progress, you might decide C further along is now a good landing spot and chose that. But I don't think the drone/controller does any of this automatically.

OR you can select where the controller is now located. Now you are free flying over your boat. You can select to "return to controller" and it will head on in toward you. I THINK that once you select this it will keep following the controller but I'm not entirely sure. But I'm not sure that trying to land on a small moving boat will be a great idea. A passenger ship would provide a larger area and I have no idea how fast it can follow a moving boat while trying to land.

And, I could have this totally fouled up so I certainly welcome corrections to my understanding.

I don’t think it will lock in on a moving object ... once it says it’s locked in to that position , that’s where it’s gonna land ... if you physically move (with controller) it won’t follow you ...

Confusion upon confusion! First thing ... In the case of the skier (post #8), the home point is not going to update or change as the drone follows the skier - EXCEPT - if the skier has the RC controller in their pocket! If the pilot controlling the drone has not moved, then there is no reason to think that the RTH point is anything other than the point the drone took off from.

Home point is either based on the Drone's position, or on the RC Controller's position - with the default being the position as set by the take-off location of the Drone itself.

You can change the point that the drone thinks is 'Home' while it's flying (General Settings / Main Controller Settings / Home Point Settings - arrow-head icon) - That icon is used to set the current position of the drone as the home point e.g. you want to change this from the point where it took off, to where it is now ... That setting works on the GPS system within the Mavic Drone ...

HPS.JPG

Alternatively, you can use the position of the RC Controller (actually the GPS receiver in the mobile phone/tablet running Go4 & attached to the RC Controller) - to set the RTH point, through; General Settings / Main Controller Settings / Home Point Settings - person-figure icon ... That re-sets the home point as the current point that you have the RC Controller at! - and is using the GPS location of the RC controller.

A good reference vid' ...

DJI needs an Intelligent Flight Mode called “Carrier” so that it will return and land on moving platforms. [emoji3]

DJI needs an Intelligent Flight Mode called “Carrier” so that it will return and land on moving platforms. [emoji3]
Now that would be nice, but I fear that due to the smart electronics required, the Drone would be about as big as a proper Helicopter!

I looked at the video earlier. I think there are two options. One can set the home point where the drone is now flying. So if the drone is flying from A to D but is now over B, you can set it to B. I guess you might notice it is a nice safe flat spot and select it as a good intermediary landing spot. Again, as you progress, you might decide C further along is now a good landing spot and chose that. But I don't think the drone/controller does any of this automatically.

OR you can select where the controller is now located. Now you are free flying over your boat. You can select to "return to controller" and it will head on in toward you. I THINK that once you select this it will keep following the controller but I'm not entirely sure. But I'm not sure that trying to land on a small moving boat will be a great idea. A passenger ship would provide a larger area and I have no idea how fast it can follow a moving boat while trying to land.

And, I could have this totally fouled up so I certainly welcome corrections to my understanding.
This scenario is interesting ... If you set the home point as the controller, then the Controller will continually update the home-point. I believe it does it in 5 or 6 metre steps, it's not a real-time track. However, if you hit the RTH button, you'll get a message in Go4 advising you that the Home Point has changed, and asking you to confirm that you want it to use the currrent controller location. When you do that confirmation, that's the point the Mavic will use to go to (i.e. the GPS co-ordinates provided by the mobile phone/tablet running Go4). If you are still moving after you press RTH and do the confirmation, then - yes - you will leave the drone behind, and if you are motoring along on water, then your Mavic will get very wet!
If you are on a moving boat, then you really need to stop, then do the RTH sequence - or - you need to forget about RTH and fly the drone to you and carry out a powered landing (best of luck with that!).

Reactions: ff22
my impression is that there is no dynamic home point update with MP2... while MP1 has it..

cause i tried yesterady and i faced two problems:
A) i set a distance limite around the RTH point ..
B) i moved away from that ..

The drone always got stuck at the distance limit and stoped following me .. and it did not update the RTH point altough i had set it on controller..
i did not try to press RTH button to see if it would update to new controller position .. but anyhow, the drone was stuck far behin by the "max flight distance" which i guess is the other probem .. no ? can we have it updating the rth position or do we have to remove the "flight limit" option ?

am i the only one having that problem?

Michael

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98