DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH Glitches / Stops

Mcclurey

Reactions
My Mavic was flying great for about a month. I now have a RTH glitch. When I initiate RTH the Mavic turns towards Home point then ascends per my programmed RTH height. However when it starts its return it only flys a couple feet then abruptly stops. After about 10 seconds it starts flying again for a few feet then stops again. It does this over and over again. I have to cancel RTH and fly back manually. It appears my drone is also flying slower in normal mode than what it used to do. I also noticed that when it begins the RTH flight the nose dips forward considerably. It flies a few feet then jerks up and stops. I have upgraded the firmware. Also tried downgrading firmware thinking it may be a firmware glitch. Every once in a while I also get a compass redundancy warning. Any suggestions on why this has started happening?

Thanks!!

Does this happen when obstacle avoidance is disabled?

same deal here!!!
Something is going on here!!! since March no issues took it few places and nada, today I couldn't see it cuz the sun was too bright and hit RTH, thats when it went crazy on me, the sound of RTH but the bird is not moving ,few times then I see on the RC thats its going away!! cancel push pause try again and I was able to see on the RC that its coming back towards me and cancel again cuz I see it and bring back home manual.
I dont know what the deal is! but I think its some kind of satellite issue could be wrong but that freaked me out .

Last edited:
If the sun is shining into the front sensors and obstacle avoidance is enabled, you'll need to disable obstacle avoidance.

Not in RTH, but I similar description issue heading toward the sun coming home. Had fly backward in the end as it kept stopping from obstacle avoidance. Have since disabled obstacle avoidance when flying at low sun positions.

Does this happen when obstacle avoidance is disabled?

I just went for a short 2 flights and turned off obstacle avoidance. Everything worked fine. Flight speed was fine and RTH feature worked perfectly. Thank you. This does bring up another question. I have flown most of the time in the past with obstacle avoidance on and never had this problem until recently. No heavy head wind, not flying into sun. Well above any trees etc. Any suggestions of why all of sudden it started doing this with OA on?

Any suggestions of why all of sudden it started doing this with OA on?
Something was triggering the sensors. It must have been the sun since nothing else was around your Mavic.

Do you suggest recalibrating the sensors using the DJI Assistant on computer screen?

OA should be auto disabled in poor lightning conditions. When flying at night, you could just manually disable it before taking off.

ok! so if it's obstacle avoidance, why is the mavic going in a different direction the second time I hit RTH instead of coming towards the Home !! Tnx guys.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
I'm still puzzled that when I'm flying with obstacle avoidance on it ascends and descends at a quick pace (normal) but it flys forward, backwards, sideways etc. at slower than what it should in normal mode. There is a big difference in speed between obstacle avoidance on vs off. During Day and cloudy with OA on I still get the start stop glitch. Never used to. I also would fly at night with OA on and RTH would work fine. Seems like this potentially could have started happening with the last two firmware updates. Any additional thoughts?

Thx

I'm still puzzled that when I'm flying with obstacle avoidance on it ascends and descends at a quick pace (normal) but it flys forward, backwards, sideways etc. at slower than what it should in normal mode. There is a big difference in speed between obstacle avoidance on vs off. During Day and cloudy with OA on I still get the start stop glitch. Never used to. I also would fly at night with OA on and RTH would work fine. Seems like this potentially could have started happening with the last two firmware updates. Any additional thoughts?

Thx

Try Calibrating your VPS sensors, and make sure they are clean and free of obstructions.

Seems like this potentially could have started happening with the last two firmware updates. Any additional thoughts?
You could test that theory by downgrading the firmware.

Ok. Thanks for everyone's help and feedback. I will make sure sensors are clean and calibrate. Must not be a firmware issue as the same thing happens on downgraded firmware.

Had the same thing happen on her maiden flight. I could tell the wind was a bit high, maybe 15 MPH at the ground but it looked like it was getting pushed around by a couple gusts as I had it up pretty high so I hit RTH. It would crawl forward, pause, wait, crawl forward. I had a lot of battery left so I was not too worried but the slow crawl would have been terrifying at a lower battery. At some invisible mark it seemed to shake it off and just came home. I thought it was the wind but now I suspect it was the sensors seeing the horizon or the sun as an object. Will try again tomorrow from the same location and see if turning off object avoid clears it

i have the same problem. no oa,sun still the bird stop and start in the RTH mod
Anything useful in your TXT flight log? If you didn't check, you can upload and view it online here. After uploading it, post a link back here if you'd like other members to review it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11