DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH - hover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayabusa

Reactions
can I set up my rth to return to home point but hover instead of land? I want the option of landing on its own or manually. Plus I think this is better if on boat.
Thanks
Mike

can I set up my rth to return to home point but hover instead of land?
No. You can cancel RTH when your Mavic is in view and then land manually.

Reactions: Barabus
No. You can cancel RTH when your Mavic is in view and then land manually.

Yes, I realize this but let’s say for example ( real example)
I flew off my condos balcony one day. After about 10 min the wind changed/picked up and was having trouble getting it steady enough for hand catch. (Found out afterwards about turning landing protection off for that as well )
I decided to send out a few hundred feet away while I went out side to then land it. It was a quick trip outside but it was already home and started it’s landing which was fine but I think I would rather have it hover in a scenario that I for some reason not there or lost connection and can’t reconnect at that moment. If you happen to be over water and can’t get connected for whatever reason, I would want it to hover in place till I could.
Mike

Reactions: Barabus
Yes, I realize this but let’s say for example ( real example)
I flew off my condos balcony one day. After about 10 min the wind changed/picked up and was having trouble getting it steady enough for hand catch. (Found out afterwards about turning landing protection off for that as well )
I decided to send out a few hundred feet away while I went out side to then land it. It was a quick trip outside but it was already home and started it’s landing which was fine but I think I would rather have it hover in a scenario that I for some reason not there or lost connection and can’t reconnect at that moment. If you happen to be over water and can’t get connected for whatever reason, I would want it to hover in place till I could.
Mike

You need to plan your flights better, then. If you're flying so long that the drone is auto-landing due to low battery, you've been flying too long.

With Landing Protection enabled, the Mavic will attempt to check the landing area to ensure it's safe before landing. If it does not appear to be safe, it'll hover in place above the ground until the battery reaches the critically low level (or you take control). Like all automated features, you should not assume this feature is foolproof.

If you happen to be over water and can’t get connected for whatever reason, I would want it to hover in place till I could.
When the home point is set to a location over water, it would be safest to do the following:

1) Disable the "Smart Return-to-Home" setting to prevent the Mavic from auto returning home when the battery reaches the low level.

DJI-GO-Smart-Return-to-Home-DJIGO4.jpg

2) Set the "Remote Controller Signal Lost" setting to "Hover" so the Mavic does not attempt to return home or land if the remote controller signal is lost.

DJI-GO-RC-Signal-Lost.jpg

3) Make sure you get the Mavic back to the home point before the battery is low.

You need to plan your flights better, then. If you're flying so long that the drone is auto-landing due to low battery, you've been flying too long.

Has nothing to do with battery being low. Matter of fact I don’t think I ever had runnit that low. Was just wondering in a specific scenario like the above mentioned if it could be set to hover after rth. I believe Litchi has this option.
Agree with the disable smart rth over water.
Thanks
Mike

Has nothing to do with battery being low. Matter of fact I don’t think I ever had runnit that low. Was just wondering in a specific scenario like the above mentioned if it could be set to hover after rth. I believe Litchi has this option.
Agree with the disable smart rth over water.
Thanks
Mike

No.

can I set up my rth to return to home point but hover instead of land? I want the option of landing on its own or manually. Plus I think this is better if on boat.
Thanks
Mike
Mines DOING just that! (Not landing automatically once it reaches RTH point!) Hence why I'm searching for an answer...

When I first let my Mavic Pro attempt to precision land, it would just come down and hover a meter or so up above the landing spot. We were using a table with a cross marked on it. The table was about 3 or 4 feet high, and it turns out that the Pro was checking the landing site and apparently noticed that the site had a drop-off on all sides (the edge of the table) and it didn't like that.

We took the legs off the table and set it on the ground and the bird immediately began to do precision landings within a few inches on the same table; only difference is that the landing site wasn't 3 feet above surrounding land. This, of course, assumes that you took off straight up to give the bird a chance to photograph the home point when it left.

They say to go up 33 feet before you move horizontally; I'm betting that 10 feet would be plenty, but I do like they say because I love to watch the little dude actually land itself within a few inches of where it took off from.

When I first let my Mavic Pro attempt to precision land, it would just come down and hover a meter or so up above the landing spot. We were using a table with a cross marked on it. The table was about 3 or 4 feet high, and it turns out that the Pro was checking the landing site and apparently noticed that the site had a drop-off on all sides (the edge of the table) and it didn't like that.

We took the legs off the table and set it on the ground and the bird immediately began to do precision landings within a few inches on the same table; only difference is that the landing site wasn't 3 feet above surrounding land. This, of course, assumes that you took off straight up to give the bird a chance to photograph the home point when it left.

They say to go up 33 feet before you move horizontally; I'm betting that 10 feet would be plenty, but I do like they say because I love to watch the little dude actually land itself within a few inches of where it took off from.

That's interesting...Doesn't explain why mine sits at the predefined RTH point and doesn't land though...Any ideas?

That's interesting...Doesn't explain why mine sits at the predefined RTH point and doesn't land though...Any ideas?
The solution to many mysteries is in the recorded flight data.

Reactions: gingerweb
Share the data and see if there are any good puzzle solvers
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
GREAT IDEA!
Will do so a little later - Cheers!

OK, if I've done it right; here's the link
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
There's something odd in the descent following that flight.
Your mavic came back to a point above the home point normally.
It was higher than the set RTH height and descended from 400 ft to 240 ft where it stopped from 18:07 till 18:40.8 when you unstuck it with the left stick.
(Incidentally 240 ft was not the preset RTH height)
It came down to 3 ft and stalled again from 19:20.4 till 19:29.9 when you unstuck it again.
The data shows that the drone came back normally with a heading of 164° but on descending it turned to 327° with the message Heading Alignment which stayed on right till the end of the flight.
I've only seen Heading Alignment show for the beginning of RTH when the drone turns to face the home point.
I'm not sure what was going on here but it's not normal.
Perhaps it's just a one-off glitch, has it happened before/since?

Reactions: SMackC4
Perhaps precision landing and downward obstacle avoidance?
Should be in the logs though if that were the case.

There's something odd in the descent following that flight.
Your mavic came back to a point above the home point normally.
It was higher than the set RTH height and descended from 400 ft to 240 ft where it stopped from 18:07 till 18:40.8 when you unstuck it with the left stick.
(Incidentally 240 ft was not the preset RTH height)
It came down to 3 ft and stalled again from 19:20.4 till 19:29.9 when you unstuck it again.
The data shows that the drone came back normally with a heading of 164° but on descending it turned to 327° with the message Heading Alignment which stayed on right till the end of the flight.
I've only seen Heading Alignment show for the beginning of RTH when the drone turns to face the home point.
I'm not sure what was going on here but it's not normal.
Perhaps it's just a one-off glitch, has it happened before/since?

Yeah I noticed that bit when I skimmed through the log...I was saying to my mrs how cool it was, because it SEEMED that whichever direction it was facing when I take off, it reorientates itself prior to landing, to face the same way - new to Mavic's, I assumed this was a standard cool feature? Maybe not?

Well, I can understand why it orients itself to the way it took off; that way, the landing site looks the same to the bottom cameras as it did when it took off. Remember that it visually compares the takeoff pictures with the landing site as it sees it. As to why it hovers at RTH altitude, I don't know. I misread the original post or I didn't pay enough attention. I thought it was just descending to a few feet and then hovering. That's what mine was doing with the table. But I don't remember it ever hovering at RTH altitude.

Well, I can understand why it orients itself to the way it took off; that way, the landing site looks the same to the bottom cameras as it did when it took off. Remember that it visually compares the takeoff pictures with the landing site as it sees it. As to why it hovers at RTH altitude, I don't know. I misread the original post or I didn't pay enough attention. I thought it was just descending to a few feet and then hovering. That's what mine was doing with the table. But I don't remember it ever hovering at RTH altitude.

Beats me as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard