DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH Is Awesome!

L

Lon Denard

I never use rth being old and always flying manually. I thought I'd try it out just for fun. 2 inches, it literally missed the mark by 2 inches. That is amazing!

RTH has always been awesome with all mine . I always do take back over when it gets overhead as I hand catch but have never had it mess up .

I can vouch. RTH is amazing. TBH it has been amazing for every DJI product I have owned. The precision RTH though is insane. If you pick a good spot that has a noticeable change in contrast or color it will land within inches. I have a lawn with one bad spot that is about 12 inches by 12 inches. The Mavic lands exactly where it took off every time.

Some people are really annoyed by people that use the RTH function like it isn't flying the drone. I would bet those same people would be even more annoyed if they had to fly in ATTI mode all the time. So what's the difference.

Reactions: chazzm
I use RTH almost every time I'm done flying. It's like the cruise control on a car. It's not like I'm not actually driving/flying if I use it (it's not "cheating"). I watch it carefully for the entire return back. However, it's far easier than fiddling with the direction, speed, etc. when trying to bring the Mavic back, especially when landing. Also allows me to focus on the camera/photography, instead of dealing with the flight controls.

And yes, it's wonderful. I always marvel at the precision that it returns to the same spot (though not always - so be ready with the controller!). I just wish I could turn off the annoyingly loud and unnecessary beeping from the RC when it's on its return.

Reactions: marty`s and Vilco
So far i have been using RTH everytime im done flying i ouah it and watch it come back and land

Reactions: MLR
I have a cheap vinyl kitchen tile, its 300mm x 300mm with 4 black and white squares. Do a precision take off and rth will land on that every time!

Reactions: rfc and SunnyD
Me too. I always fly manually and forget the rth and modes are there haha
Well, I've been flying RC long enough (30 years) that flying home is as exciting as driving the kids to afterschool activities every weekday. Like @lisadoc, I get no thrill out of holding forward pitch for 7-10 minutes, and constant small adjustments to stay on course. That isn't interesting or fun at all. So, I come home with RTH most of the time.

If you've got Litchi, try this for an occasional RTH alternative -- only do this if you aren't at the bleeding edge of making it back with the remaining battery. When ready to return, put a WP at the bird's location, and another back at your homepoint. Set up the mission parameters so that heading is user controlled, gimbal as well. Set speed for 25-30mph. Then, start the "RTH" mission.

What's really cool is you basically have the same function as RTH -- autonomous return to home, no necessity to fly yourself -- with full "look" control of the camera while it's flying back. Litchi will keep the aircraft flying on course, while you can point the camera anywhere and concentrate on the photography.

BTW, this is a general usage of Litchi that far too few understand -- using Litchi as your pilot, while you play cinematographer. Set up waypoints for only the reason of autopilot, do all the camera work yourself. You can fly the mission over and over and perfect the imaging.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I didn't even try RTH on my Mavic until almost a year of owning it. Once used, I was amazed as well as to the accuracy however, the last time I used it, my Mavic didn't have enough battery life to make it back the nearly 4 miles out it had flown and had to make it back that distance over water. 1500ft too short, my fault 100%, I had been given a warning 2-3 min prior to turning her around, this extra time would've been enough to travel the extra distance needed to save its life. Oh well, another $1000 down the drain.

I always test the RTH function after every FW upgrade and I agree it's very impressive function ... it always lands back onto my drone landing pad.

I didn't even try RTH on my Mavic until almost a year of owning it. Once used, I was amazed as well as to the accuracy however, the last time I used it, my Mavic didn't have enough battery life to make it back the nearly 4 miles out it had flown and had to make it back that distance over water. 1500ft too short, my fault 100%, I had been given a warning 2-3 min prior to turning her around, this extra time would've been enough to travel the extra distance needed to save its life. Oh well, another $1000 down the drain.
That sucks. Cant scuba dive or hire a diver to get it??
From videos.and ypur testimonial that so many accidents when the warning is ignored for even 1 min the second it tells me i get scared and go. Yes come back nowwww lol

What's really cool is you basically have the same function as RTH -- autonomous return to home, no necessity to fly yourself -- with full "look" control of the camera while it's flying back. Litchi will keep the aircraft flying on course, while you can point the camera anywhere and concentrate on the photography.
Dave, with Go4 you can actually turn around and play with the gimbal during RTH while the Mavic is returning home. You can also change the height. Basically what you cannot do is to turn left or right as of course the AC will miss home if you do that :D

Dave, with Go4 you can actually turn around and play with the gimbal during RTH while the Mavic is returning home. You can also change the height. Basically what you cannot do is to turn left or right as of course the AC will miss home if you do that :D
Really you can turn around I didn't know that I knew you could use the gimbal now when you say turn around you talking about the left stick where you actually physically turn the Drone in the 360 degree

Really you can turn around I didn't know that I knew you could use the gimbal now when you say turn around you talking about the left stick where you actually physically turn the Drone in the 360 degree

You can yaw the aircraft in whatever direction you wish during RTH.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
You can yaw the aircraft in whatever direction you wish during RTH.
Well that's something new I learned that's awesome I didn't know that too bad they didn't have a setting that would just automatically turn in a 360-degree turns slowly while I return home get some nice cool video that way weirdly

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smorse