DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH Issue

bkushner

Reactions
I have my M3 set to return home at the altitude I set. One of my concerns is I fly in an area where there is a bridge. Today I tried initiating RTH 5 times from the other side of the bridge and each time it raised in altitude far above what I had set. Why is this happening?

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
I have my M3 set to return home at the altitude I set. One of my concerns is I fly in an area where there is a bridge. Today I tried initiating RTH 5 times from the other side of the bridge and each time it raised in altitude far above what I had set. Why is this happening?
Are you using the advanced RTH or straight-line? If using straight line RTH it will raise to the height set out in the app first before coming home. Advanced RTH will raise height depending on obstacles around the drone.

You can't initiate RTH from the RC-Pro if you don't have signal. It happens on its own, after a period of signal loss.

Are you using the advanced RTH or straight-line? If using straight line RTH it will raise to the height set out in the app first before coming home. Advanced RTH will raise height depending on obstacles around the drone.
I'm using Straight line with the set height at 114. It's rising to 150-160 etc... far above the set height.

You can't initiate RTH from the RC-Pro if you don't have signal. It happens on its own, after a period of signal loss.
I have a signal. I initiated the return to home from the RTH button on the controller. Another time I turned the controller off to do a signal loss RTH and same thing, it's rising far about my set height.

I have a signal. I initiated the return to home from the RTH button on the controller. Another time I turned the controller off to do a signal loss RTH and same thing, it's rising far about my set height.
The flight data is the obvious place to look first for an explanation.

I'm using Straight line with the set height at 114. It's rising to 150-160 etc... far above the set height.
I think the OA system is proberbly detecting obstacles
I'm thinking the drone detected obstacles that it assumed would be a danger to it and rose to a height the system thought would be safe.

Reactions: crlmjohnson

I'm thinking the drone detected obstacles that it assumed would be a danger to it and rose to a height the system thought would be safe.
Well the only obstacle is the bridge and it's rising to the level of the bridge not avoiding it.

I agree

I agree...my drone has done the same thing

I agree...my drone has done the same thing
The only obstacle on the river is the bridge. I have the RTH set for 114 feet so I can go UNDER THE BRIDGE. If I wanted to go OVER the Bridge I'd need around 400 feet. Under the bridge I have a 145-foot clearance. So, why would the drone only go to 150-160 feet? That would set it dead into the bridge. Now I'm sure it would climb but I'm of the ilk that if I set it to 114 I want it at 114. If it encounters an object it should BRAKE which I have it set to do.

The only obstacle on the river is the bridge. I have the RTH set for 114 feet so I can go UNDER THE BRIDGE. If I wanted to go OVER the Bridge I'd need around 400 feet. Under the bridge I have a 145-foot clearance. So, why would the drone only go to 150-160 feet? That would set it dead into the bridge. Now I'm sure it would climb but I'm of the ilk that if I set it to 114 I want it at 114. If it encounters an object it should BRAKE which I have it set to do.
I could be wrong but I don't think the OA system during RTH works that way. The Mavic 3 OA system is advertised as being able to detect obstacles at 200 meters away and if the drone feels there is something in its flight path, it will climb to go over it unless there are obstacles above it, which would cause the drone to move slowly forward at the height it is at.

Please post the logs so we can do some analysis.

I would have guessed that obstacle avoidance was the most likely explanation for the uncommanded climbing.
But the data doesn't give me any indication that it is.
Your M3 is maintaining a steady 26 mph speed and climbing at around 0.5 ft/sec when it is over open water and a mile from the bridge.

I'm not sure of the cause but have a few questions.
Is the drone doing this for all flights or was this a one-off?
Does it happen at any time of day?

I would have guessed that obstacle avoidance was the most likely explanation for the uncommanded climbing.
But the data doesn't give me any indication that it is.
Your M3 is maintaining a steady 26 mph speed and climbing at around 0.5 ft/sec when it is over open water and a mile from the bridge.

I'm not sure of the cause but have a few questions.
Is the drone doing this for all flights or was this a one-off?
Does it happen at any time of day?
Question- Could the drone not be seeing the water as an obstacle hence the climbing?

Question- Could the drone not be seeing the water as an obstacle hence the climbing?
It was over 100 ft above the water, so probably not.
I want to know if this happens in daylight to eliminate the possibility of lights or reflections of lights.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lschabert