DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH landing question

RetiredInFL

Very Large Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Testing the "accuracy" I take off and hover above the bright orange landing pad for a short time then take off and go maybe 100 eet away and 50 feet up, I hit the RTH button and it lands exactly where it is. Doesn't even try to return to the landing pad. Admittedly the landing pad is on my patio and there is some "stuff" within 5-10 feet of it but why is there even no attempt to land on the pad and just go straight down into the grass and land nowhere near the pad (10-15 feet away).

Also after TO you should hover at 10-20’ altitude until the unit advises that the homepoint has been established.
That I did but it didn’t. Maybe I didn’t hear it, will try again and pay closer attention
Your to close fly out couple hundred feet then try, it will work. Your trying with it to close to you I think it has to be 75feet or more away from home point
I’m afraid of I did that it would land where I do not want it to. ? Do I have to start the RTH from that distance or just go that far and then it no longer matters.

One would think that there would be some kind of warning before just heading down without actually returning.

@RetiredInFL have you downloaded the online manual from DJI it gives you all the info on the different RTH features

Reactions: eaglesurfing
That I did but it didn’t. Maybe I didn’t hear it, will try again and pay closer attention
The 'homepoint' update you get initially may not be the same you get when ~25 feet off the ground...but you wouldn't know that unless you stopped and examined the app.

If said home point recorded and fly out 200 ft and try, if it starts to land there hit pause button it will stop

I did, now I'm really confused! :D :D

Check the manual again. The Return to Home will either 1) Ascend to the RTH altitude and go to the home point, 2)go directly to the homepoint at current altitude or 3)Land where it is. Which option depends upon how far you are from the homepoint. Sounds like you are within 5 meters.

1619123187831.png

Reactions: NDWildBill
RTH is kind of a last ditch option to me - so don't use it regularly or RELY on it. Most of my flying - the "Homepoint" acquisition is not where the drone took off from. It can be 25 yds or it can be 100 yds away.

Keeping visual on the drone makes it almost unneeded - yet we all do "lose" the drone on occasion when flying - hard to look at a screen and the drone at same time. Being a dull gray and small, it is easy to not see it even when out in a wide open area. If I lose where I'm at with the drone - the map on the lower left corner helps me know where the drone is to some degree - as it too is based on "homepoint" setting. I do usually know when and where the RTH is set, so at least if I fly back to that point on my own - I can get a visual - thus continue to fly unless I get that dreaded "low" battery / landing alert.

Use the search option in this forum about RTH and see how much this has been covered.
It will blow your mind.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair