DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH - Mavic Pro, how would it react?

martinhgps

Reactions
Mavic Pro, how would it react? The context in which I ask my question is hypothetical. I present it to the effect of having a better understanding of the situation. Suppose I take off the drone (Height 0) (with a RTH value of 50 meters), I rise and pass over a mountain 400 meters high and then descend from the other side at 200 meters. When the drone runs out of signal, will it go down to 50 meters to return home and it will crash into the mountain, or will it go up while it detects an obstacle until it is clear and will return home safely?
I attach a drawing. Thank you!

Attachments

• rth.jpg
    rth.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
When the drone runs out of signal, will it go down to 50 meters to return home and it will crash into the mountain, or will it go up while it detects an obstacle until it is clear and will return home safely?
When RTH is initiated, the Mavic will ascend from the current altitude displayed in DJI GO to the set RTH altitude before returning to the home point. In this case, the Mavic would immediately start returning to the home point since it would already be above the set RTH altitude. If it's able to successfully avoid all obstacles, it will ascend and climb over the mountain when it detects it.

Obstacle avoidance is not foolproof, so it would be best to set the proper RTH altitude before taking off.

@msinger answered your questions well. Personally, I would not risk it. There are too many variables that you cannot control. It may not detect a small branch and crash, fight higher winds on the other side of the mountain and crash, detect bright sunshine as an obstacle and stop and then crash, or just disappear. Since it would be disconnected from the RC, you would have no telemetry or log data to help with recovery.

When RTH is initiated, the Mavic will ascend from the current altitude displayed in DJI GO to the set RTH altitude before returning to the home point. In this case, the Mavic would immediately start returning to the home point since it would already be above the set RTH altitude. If it's able to successfully avoid all obstacles, it will ascend and climb over the mountain when it detects it.

Obstacle avoidance is not foolproof, so it would be best to set the proper RTH altitude before taking off.
Thank you msinger!

@msinger answered your questions well. Personally, I would not risk it. There are too many variables that you cannot control. It may not detect a small branch and crash, fight higher winds on the other side of the mountain and crash, detect bright sunshine as an obstacle and stop and then crash, or just disappear. Since it would be disconnected from the RC, you would have no telemetry or log data to help with recovery.
Thank you Mossiback!