DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH - mountain flight

Please remember that in the USA, 400 feet AGL, at the drone's location, is the maximum height limit. Even at that, altitude separation between drone and aircraft is not assured depending on where you are flying. As a general rule, where there are no people of structures, manned aircraft can fly as close to the ground as they like. Listening for aircraft engine noise, as a warning may help, though not always. Gliders often fly ridge if there's wind above 10 knots or so, and they are difficult to spot, make little noise, and "polish the rocks" as we say.
You’re right... we have very similar regulations here in France. Of course, scanning the area is a priority prior to takeoff. And if a helicopter is heard in the area when drone is in the air (very likely to happen in mountain areas: rescue services patrolling at low altitude), it’s obvious that they have full priority.

Reactions: bumper
Okay, but now we've got another question : how do you determine the peak's height early on before we get near the peak?
Knowing the peak’s altitude can be determined while preparing the flight (and in my case, it’s often included in the hike preps). Of course, confirming this height is a plus, but ideally (not always the case of course) you should know the terrain features of the area you’re hiking/flying.

in the RTH menu, there’s “RTH at current altitude” : the drone will maintain The altitude when it lost connection ? In the case of a reveal shot, you don’t get lower than the highest point because you want fly over it...
another question is : if my current altitude is higher than my RTH setup, it should maintain its it and not go down... or am I mistaking ?
It'll go down to the RTH altitude first.

It'll go down to the RTH altitude first.

No - that's completely incorrect. It will not descend to the RTH height. Mavic 2 user manual, page 18:

If the current altitude is higher than the RTH altitude, the aircraft flies to the Home Point at the current altitude.

Reactions: Thomas B
No - that's completely incorrect. It will not descend to the RTH height. Mavic 2 user manual, page 18:

If the current altitude is higher than the RTH altitude, the aircraft flies to the Home Point at the current altitude.
Really??? I thought that's what I observe. Ok, next time I fly I'll really notice it.

Really??? I thought that's what I observe. Ok, next time I fly I'll really notice it.
You’ll see when you watch it he control device display. When RTH is initiated manually or by default on loss of signal the drone will maintain current altitude if already at or above your RTH setting. Allow enough time for landing as the descent will take a while.

Reactions: vince-fr
You’ll see when you watch it he control device display. When RTH is initiated manually or by default on loss of signal the drone will maintain current altitude if already at or above your RTH setting. Allow enough time for landing as the descent will take a while.
Do This confirms what I thought, but wasn’t sure...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR