DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH Off by 18ft.

JeffreyButler

Reactions
OK, this lack of "precision landing" has really gotten extreme. In testing my emergency RTH the Mavic 2 has landed as far away as 18 ft from the take off point. Sorry, that's just unacceptable DJI. You had this technology nailed with the first Mavic, why throw it away?

My experience after about ten flights is 3 to 6 feet off from takeoff.

Hope they implement the precision landing in a future firmware.
I suspect they have to rewrite the code since the sensors have changed on the bottom of the Mavic II.

Reactions: Kingram
3-5m is average from GPS so it makes RTH something you cant trust unless youre in a really big open area.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
What height are you going up to when the RTH is first set? With the Mavic Air you need to go up to about 10m so that it records a good image. This always gives an RTH accuracy of a couple of feet. There’s a video somewhere on here showing the difference between this & flying off at a lower altitude and the RTH accuracy drops dramatically

What height are you going up to when the RTH is first set? With the Mavic Air you need to go up to about 10m so that it records a good image. This always gives an RTH accuracy of a couple of feet. There’s a video somewhere on here showing the difference between this & flying off at a lower altitude and the RTH accuracy drops dramatically

I tried the whole go up 20 ft, wait for the downward cameras to take a picture thing and it didn't work. Then DJI confirmed that whole precision landing thing didn't make it into the M2 series.

Jeff

I tried the whole go up 20 ft, wait for the downward cameras to take a picture thing and it didn't work. Then DJI confirmed that whole precision landing thing didn't make it into the M2 series.

Jeff
Can’t believe they got rid of that. Although I never used it much I always land manually. But it was very impressive.

3 flights today. First landed within 10 inches of take off, 2nd was about a foot away and third was prob 2 feet, maybe a lil bit more. Not as precise as mpp with the software but not bad.

I noticed that the Mavic 2 does not turn to face the same direction it was during takeoff like the Mavic did. Maybe it has trouble comparing the downward picture made during takeoff because it’s rotated.

I noticed that the Mavic 2 does not turn to face the same direction it was during takeoff like the Mavic did. Maybe it has trouble comparing the downward picture made during takeoff because it’s rotated.
I may be completely wrong, but I don't think the M2P takes a picture when it is taking off, it relies purely on GPS. I'm hoping it will be in a firmware update.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming