DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH refusal to land automatically?

When the Mavic does this it is waiting for YOU THE PILOT to do something as it thinks the ground is not suitable to land on that's all ..... you just confirm it is by pushing down on the left stick ( if that's how you have your controller configured )

As for why it didn't auto land 99% sure this is due to lighting conditions. If you are going to fly in low light then my advice is to turn off all of the Mavic sensors.

It was full sun I had issues with the video because of the suns intensity! I don’t have and filters yet. It was about 1:30 pm no clouds didn’t you see the video of the flight?

It was full sun I had issues with the video because of the suns intensity! I don’t have and filters yet. It was about 1:30 pm no clouds didn’t you see the video of the flight?

Yes I did see the video the sensors look at the landing area so can be affected buy a number of lighting and grond materials on the ground and not just low light, shadows on the ground and intense light. In vey bright light flying towards the sun your forward facing sensors can also become confused and see the sun as an obstacle and stop you in flight this can be over come buy switching into sports mode. But in my time with the Mavic 99% of the time any flight or landing issue I have seen has been down to lighting conditions when looking at how the sensors operate no mater when it is dawn, dusk or mid day.

Just remember you can always over ride the mavic holding on its landing action.

Yes I did see the video the sensors look at the landing area so can be affected buy a number of lighting and grond materials on the ground and not just low light, shadows on the ground and intense light. In vey bright light flying towards the sun your forward facing sensors can also become confused and see the sun as an obstacle and stop you in flight this can be over come buy switching into sports mode. But in my time with the Mavic 99% of the time any flight or landing issue I have seen has been down to lighting conditions when looking at how the sensors operate no mater when it is dawn, dusk or mid day.

Just remember you can always over ride the mavic holding on its landing action.

Ok I was wondering because you said flying in low light and it couldn’t have been a better bright day! But I think I understand what you are saying.

Ok I was wondering because you said flying in low light and it couldn’t have been a better bright day! But I think I understand what you are saying.

Yeah I suppose the bottom line is its not a perfect system but almost .... the first time I ever had an issue with precision landing was on a totally smooth surface so I purchased a landing pad and since then I have never had any issues at all with auto landing. It folds up and I keep it in the boot of my car.

This was my last test and as you can see the surrounding ground is quite rough and the light is quite dull. I took off from dead centre of the mat and it's only a few inches off.

Yeah I suppose the bottom line is its not a perfect system but almost .... the first time I ever had an issue with precision landing was on a totally smooth surface so I purchased a landing pad and since then I have never had any issues at all with auto landing. It folds up and I keep it in the boot of my car.

This was my last test and as you can see the surrounding ground is quite rough and the light is quite dull. I took off from dead centre of the mat and it's only a few inches off.

I am considering a landing pad or I might make one out of a fold up car sunshield .

I use a landing pad that is a bright green color. The pad protects the Mavic from debris on the ground and also serves as a point of reference for the cameras. Even when landing in snow, the pad adds contrast to the ground. My Mavic typically lands within a couple of inches, if not right on target, from where it took off. I highly recommend getting a landing pad.
d1044eeddce933f6d6cee7b29ed34061.jpg

I use a landing pad that is a bright green color. The pad protects the Mavic from debris on the ground and also serves as a point of reference for the cameras. Even when landing in snow, the pad adds contrast to the ground. My Mavic typically lands within a couple of inches, if not right on target, from where it took off. I highly recommend getting a landing pad.
d1044eeddce933f6d6cee7b29ed34061.jpg

I have one similar to that but it's Orange/Black on one side and Black/Orange on the other. Even came with reflective stickers which I haven't used. Other than feeling like a total geek using it I like it a lot and it lands on it every time within inches.

I almost always hand catch all my drones. That camera is just to close when rocks and such are involved not to mention sand and dust kicked up by the fans. I also turn off the down sensors as I never fly indoors and it makes catching much easier.

The Landing protection IS the downward vision system.
Better switch it off so you can land anywhere and it becomes easier to hand catch as well. With LP ON it will try to escape when you grab it. Can be dangerous.
Landing Protection is a pain in the butt unless you are always taking off and landing from a really "clean" and safe space. But as others have said, if you want to "hand catch" your drone (such as if you are on a boat) then Landing Protection will result in the drone moving away from you when your hand gets near the underside. I want to have full control of when and where I land my MP--even if it is an "unsuitable" area according to DJI. I have practiced backing my MP into a small cabana as practice for learning to land in difficult environments. You always need to practice for the unexpected.

Just another experience with the message: 'landing area is unsuitable'
I had a landing pad my Mavic refused to land. I found out if the plastic landing gear is waving in strong winds (which is created by the Mavic flying over it)
the message will come up. Maybe it thinks it is water

Just another experience with the message: 'landing area is unsuitable'
I had a landing pad my Mavic refused to land. I found out if the plastic landing gear is waving in strong winds (which is created by the Mavic flying over it)
the message will come up. Maybe it thinks it is water
I just had the “unsuitable” message for the first time-orange/white pad in the middle of a dirt road , no wind, bright sunlight, no vegetation nearby. I force landed it and tested it again. Same thing.
The dirt road wasn’t perfectly level- maybe a 3-5 degree slope? I have landed on worse without the error message. There was a small hill nearby, maybe 20 feet away.
Maybe the new firmware is super sensitive?

I just had the “unsuitable” message for the first time-orange/white pad in the middle of a dirt road , no wind, bright sunlight, no vegetation nearby. I force landed it and tested it again. Same thing.
The dirt road wasn’t perfectly level- maybe a 3-5 degree slope? I have landed on worse without the error message. There was a small hill nearby, maybe 20 feet away.
Maybe the new firmware is super sensitive?

Should show a slide on the screen which allows you to over ride and land!

Drone on ........

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11