DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH refusal to land automatically?

saboken

Reactions
I flew my MPP again yesterday and when I tested the RTH it refused to land I got a warning that the landing area was unsuitable? It was hard packed clay! See the video of there area I was flying over! I had to force it to land or it would have just hovered! Any idea what it didn’t like?
6110d31a7f4700b8d97b1950ee1a9d44.jpg

I tried to land it in the area I circled see photo

Probably one of the precision landing modes didn't like the lack of contrast in the landing site, I notice that the Mavic is more sensitive than the P4P and Spark on landing, often not wanting to land but if you shift it a foot it will accept the landing spot

Reactions: sbooker
I flew my MPP again yesterday and when I tested the RTH it refused to land I got a warning that the landing area was unsuitable? It was hard packed clay! See the video of there area I was flying over! I had to force it to land or it would have just hovered! Any idea what it didn’t like?
6110d31a7f4700b8d97b1950ee1a9d44.jpg

I tried to land it in the area I circled see photo
Switch off Landing protection in the app and it will just land at the homepoint without nagging.
Why would we need landing protection?
People actually lost their Mavic this way on the first flight (never read the manual of course), not knowing what to do, waiting for it to finally fall down to the ground.

Switch off Landing protection in the app and it will just land at the homepoint without nagging.
Why would we need landing protection?

What is the landing protection for anyway? To keep it from landing on water maybe?

What is the landing protection for anyway? To keep it from landing on water maybe?
to stop you landing in an unsuitable area, someone putting something down in the spot you took off from.
or as said the down vision cam did not think it was suitable.
its only a warning, if you think its ok hold down left stick and it will land.

to stop you landing in an unsuitable area, someone putting something down in the spot you took off from.
or as said the down vision cam did not think it was suitable.
its only a warning, if you think its ok hold down left stick and it will land.
The Landing protection IS the downward vision system.
Better switch it off so you can land anywhere and it becomes easier to hand catch as well. With LP ON it will try to escape when you grab it. Can be dangerous.

The Landing protection IS the downward vision system.
Better switch it off so you can land anywhere and it becomes easier to hand catch as well. With LP ON it will try to escape when you grab it. Can be dangerous.

I don’t plan on hand catching it, I see some do but I don’t see any reason besides showing off to do it!

I think DJI intended to develop an automatic charging landing/take off pad for the Mavic as well as the Spark (that even has charging leads on the underside of the body). Landing Protection and Precision Landing would make sense then. But now it just doesn't. Who cares it it lands a foot from the homepoint? You should always take off from a large enough, safe, flat open spot anyway, and land it yourself, keep in control.

I don’t plan on hand catching it, I see some do but I don’t see any reason besides showing off to do it!
In tall grass or on a boat you just have to.

Reactions: rautej1
Who cares it it lands a foot from the homepoint?

A couple of feet from the homepoint there could be a rock, the edge of a table or something and it would fall over if it landed there, landing protection is supposed to prevent it from doing so.
Obviously it's computer vision so isn't very reliable, and seems to cause more trouble with false positives than succeed at its intended job.

Disabling it and making sure you're in a large enough clear area is usually a better choice.

A couple of feet from the homepoint there could be a rock, the edge of a table or something and it would fall over if it landed there, landing protection is supposed to prevent it from doing so.
Obviously it's computer vision so isn't very reliable, and seems to cause more trouble with false positives than succeed at its intended job.
Exactly, people tend to rely on it, others don't even know that it exists.
But again, one shouldn't take off and record a homepoint at the edge of a table or one foot from a rock.

Exactly, people tend to rely on it, others don't even know that it exists.
But again, one shouldn't take off and record a homepoint at the edge of a table or one foot from a rock.

It definitely has issues because it was a nice clear solid area that it refused to land for me.

practise landing manually, you may need that skill one day

That’s next if the cold weather ever leaves SC it was in the 60s last week been getting down to 0f at night lately and highs of 30 during the day! Strange winter this year. The winds are shaking my RV right now I don’t know how fast the gusts are but my camper weighs over 9000lbs it takes a lot to shake it. Definitely not drone weather

When I shot those videos I tried Sport mode for a couple minutes and it scared me that it would crash! I was surprised how fast and nimble it was! I checked the logs later and I never went over 30mph! It seemed a lot faster! I don’t know if I want it fly it at max speed I know it goes a lot faster!

That’s next if the cold weather ever leaves SC it was in the 60s last week been getting down to 0f at night lately and highs of 30 during the day! Strange winter this year. The winds are shaking my RV right now I don’t know how fast the gusts are but my camper weighs over 9000lbs it takes a lot to shake it. Definitely not drone weather
daylight is my main reason for not flying, dark by 4pm:(

daylight is my main reason for not flying, dark by 4pm:(

I think sunset for me is about 5:45 right now the further south the longer the days! When I lived in Pennsylvania it was dark but around 4 this time of the year

I think sunset for me is about 5:45 right now the further south the longer the days! When I lived in Pennsylvania it was dark but around 4 this time of the year

22f895fbdd0c051bddc3841e856a8089.jpg

Yeah it’s just before 6 for me down here
339f17d16eaa73c97f659ce048c8f291.jpg
that app has the temp wrong??. It’s a lot colder here

When the Mavic does this it is waiting for YOU THE PILOT to do something as it thinks the ground is not suitable to land on that's all ..... you just confirm it is by pushing down on the left stick ( if that's how you have your controller configured )

As for why it didn't auto land 99% sure this is due to lighting conditions. If you are going to fly in low light then my advice is to turn off all of the Mavic sensors.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu