DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH (return to home) not working...

As I mentioned, you're better off using the RTH button on the remote (there is no TO button on the remote) than the icon on the screen. Too easy to accidentally hit land on the screen when you meant RTH.

So, let me understand. Thank you Dan. After 60ft. If i press and hold the TO button on the remote control it should Return Home?

My first flight with the Mavic Mini, I went to the icon on my Smart phone and it gave me an option to either land or to RTH. I chose to RTH and it started to ascend. I got scared so I canceled the RTH and retrieved the drone.

I understand now that it has to climb to a certain Height before it can come home.

Now, unfortunately when I fly the drone it doesn't give me the RTH icon next to land. I have calibrated the compass and the IMU. I have experimented with the altitude limit. Also, I have deleted the DJI fly app and reinstalled it.

I'm going to go fly it in the morning, (whether permitted) and see if I can perform an RTH. In my opinion it's the most important ability that a drone can perform. I got my mini up to 50M today and I was so amazed at my surrounding neighbors houses backyards... I don't think I was being illegal. But in order to do that I had to just go straight up and then to land straight down.

Thanks for the inputs and info on this topic...
You really, REALLY need to read the owners manual. You are going to crash or loose that mini very quickly if you can not at minimum even identify the buttons and what their functions are.
The RTH icon is on the app. It's the take off icon, it changes to RTH after you take off and fly.
RTH is not as simple as tapping a button. It responds differently in different situations depending on how far away and high you are.
Watch some YouTube videos if you can't read the font in the downloaded manual or the next post you will have is "why did my mini fly away?"

So, let me understand ...
I got scared ...
I'm going to go fly it in the morning ...
RTH. In my opinion it's the most important ability that a drone can perform.
I don't think I was being illegal ...

You really, REALLY need to read the owners manual ...
You are going to crash or loose that mini very quickly if you can not at minimum even identify the buttons and what their functions are.
... or the next post you will have is "why did my mini fly away?"

Don't really think you should fly at all today @Fly4Jesus ... to me it sounds that you definitely don't have the basics yet.

Here below you have some newbie tips to go on ...

Read the user manual ...the thick downloadable one, not only the quick start, download here -> https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Mini/20200212/Mavic_Mini_User_Manual_v1.0_EN.pdf

Power on in the right order ... First power on your RC & start the app ... after that, power on the drone (& do it on the spot you're going to take off from). Reverse order to shut down.

Before take off ALWAYS ... add in one very easy check to avoid a really scary event coming from launching from a magnetic disturbed place with following flyaway at height in an uncontrollable "toilet bowl" shaped flight path. After powering on your drone, connected to your RC/app & placed it in the take off spot ... but before lift off, ALWAYS check that the drone icon on the map in your app is pointing equal to reality ... if not, abort launch attempt, power down & move away, power up again and try take off elsewhere.

Keep well under the wind spec where you fly ... and please note that it's not only at ground, it's at the altitude where you fly. The winds up to 400ft are very different than on ground.
Use for instance the UAV Forecast app where you can get a feeling about the winds on higher altitudes, but please note that it's forecasts we are speaking of, a bit of common sense is good to apply to that ... "better skip flying a windy day & fly more another day".

Don't go & calibrate everything on a regularly basis ... why fix thing's that are working, it's just a higher risk that you by mistake calibrate your compass in a magnetic disturbed area & the drone goes haywire 10 meters up in the air. Calibrate IMU + compass according to user manual, keep away from magnetic things like cars, metal tables & reinforced concrete at take off & compass calibrations. If the app recommend a compass calibration first try another launch spot on a far distance from the first ... if calibration still is recommended by the app do it, but only then.

Don't launch in a hurry ... wait until you have at least 8, preferable 10 locked satellites & wait for the lady voice announce that the Homepoint has been updated, check then on the map that it's in the correct spot. Learn how the RTH function works, don't set the altitude for that unnecessary high, look around where you are going to fly and set it to clear the highest obstacle, to high & the drone risks a blow away.

Seek up a large open place ... a soccer field, free of obstacles & people. Test off every function one at a time until you fully understand how it works & the logic behind, confirm through the user manual if needed. Fly low, slow & near.

Take the claimed control distance from DJI with a pinch of salt ... only doable out in the countryside completely free of WiFi disturbance & obstacles in between the Remote & Aircraft.

Don't use the RTH button as a "panic button" it's usually the weakest flight mode of them all ... you will always have access to more power in the manual modes ... if slow against a bit to strong head wind, go for Sport mode, drop altitude & maneuver the drone home manually.

Learn the rules & regulation ... keep the drone within Visual line of sight, if you can't avoid going out of visual keep it at least in line of sight (unobstructed line between Remote & Aircraft even though you don't see it).

Last edited:
Hey Guys, Update.
So, Without using the RTH function I've really learned a lot. I'm getting used to just using the GPS map and the camera. I'm having fun sending the drone out a considerable distance and then by seeing the direction the arrow is pointing on the GPS I can direct it home accordingly. At first I had posted that RTH function was the most important function. I'm starting to digress.
Either way, I'm having lots of fun as a Mavic pilot!!

Hey Guys, Update.
So, Without using the RTH function I've really learned a lot. I'm getting used to just using the GPS map and the camera. I'm having fun sending the drone out a considerable distance and then by seeing the direction the arrow is pointing on the GPS I can direct it home accordingly. At first I had posted that RTH function was the most important function. I'm starting to digress.
Either way, I'm having lots of fun as a Mavic pilot!!
That's the way to do it! Not saying my way is the right way but I'm out there to fly not push RTH and go in to grab a coffee while the mini is doing it's thing.

Hi, ZC, believe me. My first flight with the mini I had the icon for RTH next to Land. and now the RTH icon isn't there. Also, the button on the upper left hand corner of the remote only lands the drone and it does not RTH... I was bummed about this. But like said, finding ways around it.

(are you saying that if I press and hold..it would RTH?)

Hi, ZC, believe me. My first flight with the mini I had the icon for RTH next to Land. and now the RTH icon isn't there. Also, the button on the upper left hand corner of the remote only lands the drone and it does not RTH... I was bummed about this. But like said, finding ways around it.

(are you saying that if I press and hold..it would RTH?)
@Fly4Jesus i feel that i need to join in this conversation,the button on the RC performs two functions (1)if you give it a quick press it stops the drone and it just waits till you either put in an input from one of the sticks ,or press it quickly again ,in other words it pauses the drones flight (2) if you give it a press and hold it will initiate a RTH, and the drone will respond to that command depending how far it is from the home point
in the same way as before you can then cancel the RTH at any time by giving it a short press
the icon on the screen works in a similar fashion, if you look at the arrow it points up for take off and points down for landing or RTH,a touch on the icon will produce a question to appear on the screen ,for take off you touch and hold till the green circle does a complete circle and it will take off,if you touch the screen icon when in flight you will then get a choice of two options land or RTH, touch the screen on the option you want and hold till the green circle is complete and it will do what you have asked ,i am glad you are learning to use the map to fly back to the home point ,that is the way i always fly, for me RTH is for when an issue arises i know there are many people who always use RTH to get back home, and that is fine if they choose to fly that way , hope you can understand my post happy flying OMM

Last edited:
you are probably correct never used it on my MM

i think you are wrong my friend and i have to say that there is a short press to cancel RTH :)
i have edited my post now thanks for the heads up my friend dont want to cause confusion

Alright fellas, the latest on this thread called RTH not working...
I went to a nostalgic park before noon today. It was a park that my dad and walked around years ago.
When the drone was within "reach" I would only get the Land icon. Then out of the blue, to my excitement, once the drone was out a ways the RTH icon appeared. Now, now that I know that the drone must ascend to the Altitude limit. (so that it doesn't run into trees and other obsticals) I was able to perform an RTH. It went straight up into the air and then came souring home quickly. Then it came to me.
I'm so pleased!

Reactions: old man mavic
Alright fellas, the latest on this thread called RTH not working...
I went to a nostalgic park before noon today. It was a park that my dad and walked around years ago.
When the drone was within "reach" I would only get the Land icon. Then out of the blue, to my excitement, once the drone was out a ways the RTH icon appeared. Now, now that I know that the drone must ascend to the Altitude limit. (so that it doesn't run into trees and other obsticals) I was able to perform an RTH. It went straight up into the air and then came souring home quickly. Then it came to me.
I'm so pleased!
Hopefully this clarifies the answers above. Here's what the manual says. Starting and stopping Smart RTH and not returning but just landing if under 20 meters distance.

Attachments

• RTH - Page 13.jpg
    RTH - Page 13.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Fly4Jesus
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member