DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH Status Changes after last 2 firmware updates

Lasidora

Reactions
Just upgraded firmware to Ver .800 and noticed the RTH setting change to Advanced instead of Standard after I had reset it from previous firmware update at Ver .700, it did the exact same thing on that update as well, I'm not a fan of advanced RTH so it is the first thing I check after every update & noticed that it defaults back to Advanced after any update, so bear this in mind when you update your Mavic 3.

Just upgraded firmware to Ver .800 and noticed the RTH setting change to Advanced instead of Standard after I had reset it from previous firmware update at Ver .700, it did the exact same thing on that update as well, I'm not a fan of advanced RTH so it is the first thing I check after every update & noticed that it defaults back to Advanced after any update, so bear this in mind when you update your Mavic 3.
Lots of settings revert to DJI's default values after a firmware update.
It;s a good idea to check them after updating to put them back to what you prefer.

Found that, too. There is also new giant black popup screen, when battery reaches 15%, that completely blocks your FPV, asking you to choose LAND IN PLACE or RTH, and, for me, on the RC Pro, the RTH option could not be selected, and landing in place over water at the time was NOT an option I was going to try! ! Eventually, while hovering in place, the regular, red low battery warning appeared behind the black dialog box in the top left, and I was able to click off the obstructing pop up by touching the screen behind it, and resume flight control to manually fly home. Some sketchy new stuff has been added! Beware! 😳

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lots of settings revert to DJI's default values after a firmware update.
It;s a good idea to check them after updating to put them back to what you prefer.
Indeed. It's also very helpful to point out which ones to double check that are most likely to cause problems, that are known to have been changed. This is certainly one of them, that might go unnoticed, especially when the default settings aren't necessarily known, or understood by all.

Found that, too. There is also new giant black popup screen, when battery reaches 15%, that completely blocks your FPV, asking you to choose LAND IN PLACE or RTH, and, for me, on the RC Pro, the RTH option could not be selected, and landing in place over water at the time was NOT an option I was going to try! ! Eventually, while hovering in place, the regular, red low battery warning appeared behind the black dialog box in the top left, and I was able to click off the obstructing pop up by touching the screen behind it, and resume flight control to manually fly home. Some sketchy new stuff has been added! Beware! 😳
**** that sounds scary when the drone is in a place not suitable for landing, who codes these new options into the firmware, makes me sometimes wonder if they have any idea of possible drone loss situations as a consequence of firmware changes/

**** that sounds scary when the drone is in a place not suitable for landing, who codes these new options into the firmware, makes me sometimes wonder if they have any idea of possible drone loss situations as a consequence of firmware changes/
Indeed! I still had 15% battery left and was already on the way back within 1000 feet, so there was no immediate panic, but it was still a pucker moment, while I tried to understand this new modal dialog box, that I have never seen before at 15%! Still not sure how to properly answer it, or whether I just have to wait until it passes, while not being able to see the FPV! Under the prior FW, it was much less invasive, and doesn't appear until 10%! That one disappears on its own after a 15 second countdown, and is then in a forced landing condition, which is still manually overridable with left upstick. Starting this process at 15% with accompanying heart attack beeping (which I just muffled the day before) is stealing another 5% of the usable flight time, and risking a drone loss, if the wrong box is selected in a panic, by an inexperienced pilot!

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Ok, so I don't usually take my flights to 15% battery, but am I understanding correctly that the new update will give a black screen at 15% and not allow manual flight control?

Ok, so I don't usually take my flights to 15% battery, but am I understanding correctly that the new update will give a black screen at 15% and not allow manual flight control?
So far, it was just a bizarre, one off glitch. There is clearly some buggy code in the update that got triggered, and I was experiencing significant RC interference at a new location. However, on my second flight after the update, last night, in a known location, it performed as expected, with no huge black pop-up over at 15%, just like on the previous FW, and I had full manual control. Happily, quiet mewing also replaced the alley cat heart attack beeping at 15%, due to my transducer mod.

So, it should be fine, but if you do trip over the same bug I inadvertently found (not exactly sure what strange event triggered it, but it could have been signal loss) , it might become sketchy!

FYI: Sadly, you can't switch from 1x to 7x in the new Normal mode without first turning off the video recording. Couldn't figure our why my custom button settings for Explore/Normal toggling and 1x/7x toggling in Normal mode all worked at home on the bench, but didn't do anything in flight, until I stopped recording!

Reactions: R.Cowan
So far, it was just a bizarre, one off glitch. There is clearly some buggy code in the update that got triggered, and I was experiencing significant RC interference at a new location. However, on my second flight after the update, last night, in a known location, it performed as expected, with no huge black pop-up over at 15%, just like on the previous FW, and I had full manual control. Happily, quiet mewing also replaced the alley cat heart attack beeping at 15%, due to my transducer mod.

So, it should be fine, but if you do trip over the same bug I inadvertently found (not exactly sure what strange event triggered it, but it could have been signal loss) , it might become sketchy!

FYI: Sadly, you can't switch from 1x to 7x in the new Normal mode without first turning off the video recording. Couldn't figure our why my custom button settings for Explore/Normal toggling and 1x/7x toggling in Normal mode all worked at home on the bench, but didn't do anything in flight, until I stopped recording!
Thanks GadgeGuy. I'm glad to hear that the black screen at 15% appears to be a glitch and not an intended feature. I too discovered over the weekend that I couldn't go from 1x to 7x without stopping the record. Hopefully that will change in another update. Cheers and Happy flying.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Thanks GadgeGuy. I'm glad to hear that the black screen at 15% appears to be a glitch and not an intended feature. I too discovered over the weekend that I couldn't go from 1x to 7x without stopping the record. Hopefully that will change in another update. Cheers and Happy flying.
I'm happy I can't replicate it either. A third flight tonight was also problem free, now that I am no longer also being frustrated by why my 1x/7x button configuration in Normal mode isn't working at all during video recording. You also can't switch between Normal and Explore modes during video recording. However, that was expected. Biggest gripe is that being forced to stop the recording, to change modes, runs the risk of forgetting to turn the recording on again when you continue. 😢 I find myself just continuously leaving it in Explore mode now. Just have to edit out the jumps from 4x to 7x and any focus issues with the 7x camera when it jumps to it. I had hoped by presetting focus on both cameras in Normal mode that we could seamlessly switch between 1x and 7x. No go. Need another update. Cheers!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xyggi