DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH to an elevated point

Costa Rica Guy

Reactions
I have finally gotten my Mavic flying and am having a blast with it. I live at an altitude of about 175 feet over the beach. I take off from a heli pad type structure at the hotel I live at and fly from there. The altitude registers as the platform being 0 ft. Once I take off and fly about 150 out it hits 165 or so. My question is...at what altitude will my RTH be set? If I am flying over the water or over the beach, my landing spot is about 150 higher than where I am flying.

The RTH altitude that **you** set in the app is relative to the zero, at the point where you took off. So if it's set to 55 meters (~180ft), it will rise to 180ft above the point where you launched. It has nothing to do with actual elevation above sea level.

Last edited:
Reactions: 36thvm
When RTH it initiated, your Mavic will ascend from the current altitude displayed in DJI GO to the RTH altitude you set in DJI GO. If it's flying below the takeoff point (which makes the altitude display a negative value in DJI GO), your Mavic will ascend up to 0 feet and then up to your set RTH altitude. Once at the RTH altitude, it'll start flying back to the home point.

Reactions: Costa Rica Guy
So, you've had your Mavic for a month now, had a crash already, and still haven't RTFM'ed?

Lol...following my exploits... (Foibles!) I haven't had much air time due to the magnetic issue which I have since solved. I HAVE done RTH but not from THIS location, which is a high platform with an immediate drop. You guys are the best! Lol

Lol...following my exploits... (Foibles!) I haven't had much air time due to the magnetic issue which I have since solved. I HAVE done RTH but not from THIS location, which is a high platform with an immediate drop. You guys are the best! Lol

Aside from landing protection sensors which (if enabled) can tell that the ground is up to 40ft below Mavic, Mavic has absolutely no idea how far the ground below it is. Mavic has no concept of altitude AGL, it flies by barometer.

Reactions: Costa Rica Guy
When RTH it initiated, your Mavic will ascend from the current altitude displayed in DJI GO to the RTH altitude you set in DJI GO. If it's flying below the takeoff point (which makes the altitude display a negative value in DJI GO), your Mavic will ascend up to 0 feet and then up to your set RTH altitude. Once at the RTH altitude, it'll start flying back to the home point.

Here's one for you. When my drone takes off the display says that the RTH height is 98 feet, but when I enter the settings it is set At zero and no matter what number I enter I get a response that the altitude cannot be higher than the allowable altitude.....? And as it stands...the number there is 0.

And as it stands...the number there is 0.
When your Mavic is not connected to DJI GO, that setting will always display 0. If it's still displaying 0 when your Mavic is connected to DJI GO, then try reinstalling the current version of DJI GO.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikair3