DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH

cdonovin

Reactions
I have the dji mavic 2 zoom if I hit the RTH button will that return drone to my controller or last know coordinates. I'm about 180 miles from home. I would hate to see my drone try to fly back to home 180 miles away
CD

Neither. Home is the takeoff location (unless you set it otherwise), assuming you wait long enough for a GPS fix before lifting off, hence the "Home point has been updated. Please check it on the map" message from Go4. You should read the manual multiple times before your first flight.

Last edited:
Reactions: WAXMAN
Thanks my ADHD is kicking in. Makes it difficult to recall. I was reading some blogs it discussed drone returning to controller . I was bit confused
The manual that came with drone is quite skimpy.
I appreciate your response and time to reply to me
CD

Thanks my ADHD is kicking in. Makes it difficult to recall. I was reading some blogs it discussed drone returning to controller . I was bit confused
CD
It is possible to have the drone return to the RC (actually the mobile device using GPS) but you have to set this up manually.

It would be highly recommended to do a compass calibration when you arrive at your new location.

You only need to do a compass calibration if there is a warning about it. You could set it anyway but I'd not recommend it unless you were to move something like 300 miles or so. _Please_ don't do it just because you took off from a different location as the time before.

It is possible to have the drone return to the RC (actually the mobile device using GPS) but you have to set this up manually.
To clarify, it is possible to reset the home point to the mobile device's current location (if using a mobile device that contains a GPS receiver). After moving, the home point needs to be reset again.

CD
Lots on YouTube on setting the home point.

My understanding is that if you are a significant distance from your last home point, ( say 50 km or more), your drone will require that you do a compass recalibration. I believe that this is because the angle between true north and magnetic north varies, according to where you are on the surface of the globe. (Please correct me if I’m wrong.

If I was 180 miles from my last home point, I’d expect to be required to do a compass recalibration. If I wasn’t required I’d either do it anyway, or do a short test flight, say 200 metres away, and hit RTH to see how it behaved.

Last edited:
Lots on YouTube on setting the home point.

My understanding is that if you are a significant distance from your last home point, ( say 50 km or more), your drone will require that you do a compass recalibration. I believe that this is because the angle between true north and magnetic north varies, according to where you are on the surface of the globe. (Please correct me if I’m wrong.

If I was 180 miles from my last home point, I’d expect to be required to do a compass recalibration. If I wasn’t required I’d either do it anyway, or do a short test flight, say 200 metres away, and hit RTH to see how it behaved.
Your understanding is incorrect. Distance from anywhere makes no difference to your compass. That's not whst compass calibration is about at all.

Your understanding is incorrect. Distance from anywhere makes no difference to your compass. That's not whst compass calibration is about at all.
Thanks for picking me up. So what’s it all about then?

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet