DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rule Changes Since 2017

jdh313

Reactions
Hi All,

As a quick background, I had a Phantom 3 Pro back in 2017(ish) but ended up selling it for a variety of reasons. I'm now thinking of picking up a Mavic 2 Pro and getting back into the hobby.

I was looking at the rules on the FAA site and noticed quite a few changes, but wanted to make sure I understood them correctly, especially since some seem to have gotten more lenient since I last flew.

1. Do I no longer need to contact airports within five miles of me? If I'm in an uncontrolled airspace, do I need to keep a certain distance from an airport? I live about a mile from a pretty big private airport, but not directly in line with their approaches. Would I have any issue flying from where I live? The B4UFly app and DJI maps both show my area as being unrestricted.

2. Is there any rule against flying at night?

3. What about flying over/near major roads? If I wanted to do a hyperlapse of a nearby highway, would there be any issues (so long as I'm not causing a distraction, flying recklessly, etc.)?

I'm not going into this looking to break every rule, just trying to understand the limitations.

Thanks!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica