DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rules for Hawaii

@Pedec you can pull out a lot of the details very quickly. Just a quick example with Photoshop. If you don't want me reposing just let me know and I'll pull them. Just wanted you to see what's possible.
Wow looks good what program do you use. I a old rc guy that just got into drones. The editting part I am finding frustrating.

I used Photoshop, but many editors can do the same thing. In PS, I added a curves adjustment layer. This allows me to do non-destructive editing. Then it was a very simple matter of setting white/black points and adjusting to taste.

I used to do PS tutorials. Let me see if I still have any of the videos around that I can link to.

On Maui the backroad to Hana has many amazing flight locations, and the whole coastline is worth the drive. Not as many restricted areas as O'ahu
I'm trying to convince the wife to do an overnight. She's not real keen paying for an expensive night at the resort and not using it, though. Have to see if we can manage to cram it in as a single-day trip maybe.

Again, appreciate the info.

I'm trying to convince the wife to do an overnight. She's not real keen paying for an expensive night at the resort and not using it, though. Have to see if we can manage to cram it in as a single-day trip maybe.

Again, appreciate the info.
Road to Hana is worth a week and a couple dozen batteries. My 2 cents.

Dang. Well, that's our whole time in Maui. Doing a week on each island. Guess we'll have to look at another trip.

I need to find a battery pack to do some on-foot charging also. We won't have a rental car for much of the trip I imagine so not much point in taking my inverter.

Dang. Well, that's our whole time in Maui. Doing a week on each island. Guess we'll have to look at another trip.

I need to find a battery pack to do some on-foot charging also. We won't have a rental car for much of the trip I imagine so not much point in taking my inverter.
I agree there a so much to see on the road to Hana and the more time the better, but we were able to make it completely around the main and back road within a day with lots of stops for pictures and exploring. Make sure you drive the entire coastline of Maui, a great drive, lots to see, and places to fly.

Really? I wasn't sure if you could do the loop in a day and do it justice. I have a rough mental map laid out so I'm trying to go through the various Hana hotspots to see where we might want to make sure we stop.

Really looking forward to the trip and appreciate everyone's insight. I'm hoping to be able to rent a Jeep. I think that'll be great for Maui. :)

We've done the RTH and continued on the backside of Maui, through Ulupalakua back to Lahaina several times. My suggestions are:
  1. Check the weather for sure before you leave out. If it's been raining, there's always a chance of a mud or rock slide on the road. And especially on the backside.
  2. Leave early. Like 7am if you're in Lahaina area. Maybe a little later if you're down south in Kihei, if you're in Wailea 7am. Remember there is actual traffic during that time
  3. Take some snacks and drinks. But there's numerous stops along the way as well.
  4. Be aware that the road is also used by the locals. Be courteous and let them pass if they want. They really have to be somewhere

Also Aunty Sandy's Banana Bread.

Definitely second what was said above regarding the backroad. Half of it is the most picturesque, car commercial road through rolling hills, paved with a paintbrush... but the other half is like something out of the Top Gear Bolivia special so inclement weather would make it a bit more challenging 😏

There is only one gas station in Hana itself, and nothing else once you leave the city.

Reactions: Grandpa
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ICantStopTheLoneliness