DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rules for Hawaii

ITDrone

Reactions
Good morning to all.
Im from italy and next week i will go to Honolulu for a Holiday. I wanna bring with me the Mavic mini 2 and wanna know exactly what i have to do for legally take pics for reacrational use.
Also what app you suggest for check limitation.

Thank's to all.

Best wishes.

Welcome to the forum! You should start 'here' . . . . sounds like you will be fine to take it.

@ITDrone we're heading to Oahu and Maui in June. Here's a list of places for Oahu that I've identified as clear to fly. Please do some independent verification.

Halona Blowhole
Hanauma Bay
Nu’uanu Pali Lookout
Chinaman's Hat
Waimea Valley
Makapu’u Point
Waikiki Beach

I believe you're ok at Diamond Head as well.

I use the b4ufly app to check for any controlled airspace. It also makes for quick LAANC authorizations (if available).

Foreign Drone Pilots

Diamond Head is either a state park or national, not sure. Either way, not allowed

Yeah, I think this comment from a site I visited is misleading:

Hawaii has several laws that you must follow if you want to fly your drone there. For instance, you must register your drone if it weighs over 0.55 lbs. As long as you follow the law you can fly your drone in many places including Waikiki Beach, Diamond Head, Waimea Waterfall, and Hanauma Bay.
This is a good site. I'm assuming that maybe people are going to Diamond Head Lookout and flying over?

I have not flown a drone in Hawaii, but I have hiked up to the top of Diamond Head. If you are from Italy, you should do it. It's actually very easy, drive into the crater, there's a small parking lot. Clear trail and lots of steps all the way to the top. Great panoramic view from there. Wish I would have had a drone back then would have been fantastic.

Also, dont go in the middle of the day, gets really, really hot and mosquitos come out their mid day meal. Mornings are best, less crowded.

Please note that Diamond Head is a Hawaii state monument. As such, launching or landing of drones from the grounds is prohibited. The monument's boundaries are visible on Google maps, but are generally everything from the base of the outer slope of the mountain inward.

Also, Nu'uanu Pali is a "State Wayside," which is state park territory. However, you can probably walk down the old road and exit the state park boundary. Be careful, not only because of that, but the winds up there are pretty strong and gusty.

Last edited:
Also, Nu'uanu Pali is a "State Wayside," which is state park territory. However, you can probably walk down the old road and exit the state park boundary. Be careful, not only because of that, but the winds up there are pretty strong and gusty.
I've pretty much discounted flying here. When you read things like "you can lean against the wind", it's persuasive to leave the drone in the bag. :)

I've pretty much discounted flying here. When you read things like "you can lean against the wind", it's persuasive to leave the drone in the bag. :)
I don't remember, but if there's a pullout on the road(s) before you get to the tunnels, that would be a good spot to put up a drone.

Thanks for the tip. I've been looking high-level. Now I need to start zooming in to street level for some strategic planning.

Just got back from big island and was great place to take drone. One problem was there was alway a fog in the air from volcanoes it seemed.

Attachments

• 77F041DD-35B6-48F3-89BE-5F5B7558BBF6.jpeg
    77F041DD-35B6-48F3-89BE-5F5B7558BBF6.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 19
Places are posted were drones not allowed.

Attachments

• 4BCD3CF8-E079-4622-8C31-5D15497B64A8.jpeg
    4BCD3CF8-E079-4622-8C31-5D15497B64A8.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 20
Once you fly over the edge of a cliff you will most likely violating the 400 foot above ground (water) limit as cliffs can be more than 1,000 feet high. Helicopters can fly in the area below the cliff according to manned aircraft rules.

Aslo just came back from Hawaii, and there are many amazing places to fly. Biggest things to remember is there are quite a few military bases on the island, so don't fly within their airspace. Use the B4UFLY app to check the area. As others have stated, no takeoff or landing in state parks, but you can fly into them if you're based outside the limits.

You will also need to take a UAV license test online. It's pretty easy, and free.

These were taken with a Mini 2.
dji_export_1646679550579.jpgdji_export_1645650845897.jpgdji_export_1645654198629.jpg

@Pedec you can pull out a lot of the details very quickly. Just a quick example with Photoshop. If you don't want me reposing just let me know and I'll pull them. Just wanted you to see what's possible.

Attachments

• pedec1.jpg
    pedec1.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 11
  • pedec2.jpg
    pedec2.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 13
No issues with wind, I even flew all the way out and around Chinaman's Hat without issue. I also had a mini 1 with me which had occasional trouble with signal, but the 2 was fine everywhere.

Cool. Thanks for the update.

I think I'll be spending the weekend plotting my targets. I tell you, Oahua has been a killer. I haven't even taken one look at Maui. I think I'm going to need more vacation. :p

On Maui the backroad to Hana has many amazing flight locations, and the whole coastline is worth the drive. Not as many restricted areas as O'ahu

Reactions: Grandpa
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661