DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Runaway Drone, Inverted Controls, WTF?

sivart

Reactions
This was a rather odd and insane experience...

I had just flown the drone for about 45 minutes on two batteries consecutively Brought it back to the LZ to deploy the third battery, and then continue filming.

On this third battery, I got into the air, flew to a target (which was about 400ft in front of me), set the POI mode target, radius, and altitude of ~100ft); flew for probably 10 minutes total having around 70% battery left, everything was going great.

All of a sudden, the DJI Go 4 app says aircraft disconnected, and I can no longer see or hear the drone. I try to restart the DJI Go app with no success. I still have telemetry on the controller, saying it's 400ft away with an altitude of 113ft. The last GPS location on phone is not where the drone was, nor could I see it where it "should" have been on the POI radius. I press the return-to-home button, and I finally hear the drone. It's not exactly where the RTH was set, and it's above/behind a tree line, but I'm able to increase altitude and hear the sound of the props.

I'm able to walk out away from a tree line, and the drone is still moving in a POI pattern, but near the home location. I'm able to get it in a clear field, but it's sticking to the POI motions, even after I try the "pause" button on the remote. I try to orient the drone and move it closer to me, but the controls are inverted, and seemingly keep changing, which was really weird. I'm trying to fight the controls to get it back over towards my location, compensating for what the POI pattern is doing, but the controls keep changing how they are reacting... finally I'm able to pull the controls around enough to hold it somewhat steady in line-of-sight so that it's not disappearing and blending in view of the background and drive over to it.

I try to make it land, but it won't get lower than 14ft. I drive the UTV close to it and am able to stand on it while manipulating the controls and grab the drone from the bottom, but then tries to aggressively climb as it thinks it's avoiding an obstacle (I suppose?) I try the emergency shutdown procedure on the remote but it doesn't work. I carefully move the drone around and down so that I can take my other arm and get to the battery to shut it down that way... that doesn't work at all. Finally, after holding it for a bit, the critical battery actions take over (at least, I think that's why it did this) and the drone just shuts down.

Once I get back to the office I try to power it on and connect USB, but it doesn't even connect or recognize it... not sure if this is related now or not.

WTF just happened? It's pretty warm here today, around 95F... and this was the third consecutive battery in this thing. Is this some sort of weird behavior from heat?

Reactions: joejaxvic123
I will get the AC DAT using DJI Assistant 2 in a few minutes. Any specific location to upload it?

Yes, the remote had telemetry, but the phone app was completely disconnected from the remote it seemed (so no video or data within the app).

I will get the AC DAT using DJI Assistant 2 in a few minutes. Any specific location to upload it?

Yes, the remote had telemetry, but the phone app was completely disconnected from the remote it seemed (so no video or data within the app).
Dropbox usually works well if you have it.

Reactions: Former Member
Yeah good point if the device disconects from the AC. OP what usb lead are you using and where is it plugged in?

A restart and reinstall of the DJI Assistant 2 application and associated drivers fixed that issue. Seems the driver did some odd stuff after I calibrated last night.

Pulling files from the AC now then will get the DAT file uploaded.

A restart and reinstall of the DJI Assistant 2 application and associated drivers fixed that issue. Seems the driver did some odd stuff after I calibrated last night.

Pulling files from the AC now then will get the DAT file uploaded.
Yeah, Assistant can be a little wacky sometimes...

Also, for transparency -- was communicating on another forum and with DJI support chat at the same time...

Running the latest app and firmware on the AC, RC, and battery. For reference that is 4.2.14 app, and 01.04.0300 firmware.

Have flown this path multiple times today with no issues; no interference within immediate range.

DJI support seemingly sending on a hunt saying it just needs the RC re-linked. That doesn't seem to make much sense though?

Trying to get the flight DAT files from the AC, but the drivers and DJI Assistant 2 are being super troublesome.

Reactions: MavicCF
Yeah, probably just mark the DJI Assistant 2 application and device drivers a POS; getting that DAT file isn't likely.

Either way, the whole experience today was insanely odd. There really wasn't any explanation from DJI support other than their "troubleshooting" procedures to check the firmware version of the battery, then refresh firmware, then re-link the RC to the AC.

I suppose it's a super rare instance that this happens, but it certainly seems like it could be very dangerous under certain conditions.

Yeah, probably just mark the DJI Assistant 2 application and device drivers a POS; getting that DAT file isn't likely.

Either way, the whole experience today was insanely odd. There really wasn't any explanation from DJI support other than their "troubleshooting" procedures to check the firmware version of the battery, then refresh firmware, then re-link the RC to the AC.

I suppose it's a super rare instance that this happens, but it certainly seems like it could be very dangerous under certain conditions.
Too bad, is there another computer you could try? It almost seems from what you said that it did RTH, but stayed in POI mode, these are the stick controls when in POI mode (almost reverse of normal like you said), which might explain why they seemed swapped around and weird. 8ddacc33ecdc9f841ee86264da9fd92a.jpg

If disconnected while doing POI, then it would've stayed in that mode without DJI Go app, but Pause and RTH should've worked. Did you press and hold for a few seconds? You can tell if RTH is active when the RC beeps.
Definitely a strange behaviour. Curious to see what went wrong, cos I use POI sometimes myself.

It is definitely interesting, it does seem like it stayed in POI, but he also said it went back towards the home point when RTH was initiated while still continuing to fly circles. The whole thing with the sticks changing around makes sense too, as in POI mode, what the sticks do doesn't relate to the direction the Mavic is moving, but rather to changing the various circle parameters.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
starKid