DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Safe and legal places to fly database!

droneing

Reactions
I have noticed on many forums (including this one) that pilots are posting for help on safe places to fly in particular areas, whether it’s where they live or where they are going.

This had led me to build a website resource dedicated to safe and legal places to fly our drones.

Simply, the main design is to have all the safe sites visually on one google map, click on the dots and info pops up.

I am still under construction but I would appreciate feedback/comments and if any fellow pilots have an interest in becoming a founder member and author of the website.

Basically, am I wasting my time or not with the basic concept?

The site can be accessed at:

www.geodrone.xyz

I hope I am not contravening any forum rules by posting this.

I am just trying to improve our combined knowledge of our amazing hobby!

Being that there is already a NFZ list established. And the NFZ list is >1000% less places than places you can fly safe. The much shorter list of NFZ's is easier to modify and maintain than an "everything else" list.

Maybe a list for major tourist areas and cities of where you can fly?
But again, there is already a list of where you cant fly.......

I have noticed on many forums (including this one) that pilots are posting for help on safe places to fly in particular areas, whether it’s where they live or where they are going.

This had led me to build a website resource dedicated to safe and legal places to fly our drones.

Simply, the main design is to have all the safe sites visually on one google map, click on the dots and info pops up.

I am still under construction but I would appreciate feedback/comments and if any fellow pilots have an interest in becoming a founder member and author of the website.

www.geodrone.xyz

I'm a noob to this but maybe it's a lot of noobs posting asking but there's some great apps out there already. NATS Drone Assist is brilliant but brilliant doesn't make people use it or find out about it.

Not sure if I’ve explained the concept! - the website is to allow registered members who know of or have favourite places they like to fly’n film and would like to share these places with the rest of us (bit like a blog).

For instance, I am going down to the South Coast (Jurassic Coast) of England next weekend, it would be good to go to www.geodrone.xyz and see exciting locations instantly on the map and have first hand information of where is suitable to takeoff, fly, film and land.

Agreed, a database of ALL safe and legal places to fly would be pretty boring and not necessarily exciting to film.

A database of ‘recommended’ sites by fellow flyers could be exciting and rewarding.

www.geodrone.xyz

Not sure if I’ve explained the concept! - the website is to allow registered members who know of or have favourite places they like to fly’n film and would like to share these places with the rest of us (bit like a blog).

For instance, I am going down to the South Coast (Jurassic Coast) of England next weekend, it would be good to go to www.geodrone.xyz and see exciting locations instantly on the map and have first hand information of where is suitable to takeoff, fly, film and land.

Agreed, a database of ALL safe and legal places to fly would be pretty boring and not necessarily exciting to film.

A database of ‘recommended’ sites by fellow flyers could be exciting and rewarding.

I think it was pretty clear in the OP. But I like the new direction you suggest in your second post. But that is not really a list of safe and legal, that will end up as a "look what I did it" list. Of which there are many.

In an ideal world the site membership/authors would be made up of ‘grown up’ pilots who would only post ‘safe and legal’ areas of flight.
If we don’t aspire to being ‘safe and legal’ why should anybody respect drone pilots!

OK but there is at least an app trying to do this called Where to fly. Given it lacks users and sites at present, I consider it a work in progress.

OK but there is at least an app trying to do this called Where to fly. Given it lacks users and sites at present, I consider it a work in progress.
The one I quoted has 50,000+ downloads. It my be a little more helpful finding sites. I looked up the Where to fly app and it only has 5000+ downloads.

The one I quoted has 50,000+ downloads. It my be a little more helpful finding sites. I looked up the Where to fly app and it only has 5000+ downloads.
Yeah, as I said, I considered it a work in progress - it didn't rate with me as being heavily used at least, not yet. I don't think the idea is bad at all, just seems to be a matter of getting people to provide the info to make it work.

Hope you won't be offended if I try to be helpful but if you do apps, or it might be a database, I think one needs to stand above any competition and I'm using a hiking, cycling walking app to find places I can fly. It's very good only in some places you might be on private land, a private country estate with public access, open to the public. You know what would be better? It would be to permit the owners of such land to state what their drone policy is. To show land owned by the National Trust such as Stowe School, largely open to the public but much of it, operated as much of it is, by the NT I believe, is not available for flying drones. Then there's Castle Ashby. Much of their estate is too open to walkers, cyclists but is it open to flying drones? Not too sure but wouldn't it be good if they could state their policy on such a site or I think better still, such an app? Combining paths, walks, hiking and cycling trails etc with the rules of the land owners, NT, National Heritage, schools, golf courses, farmers. Might be some could say flying is permitted but only with a ticket and booking at certain times allowing flyers of drones to fly, land owners sometimes to make money?

Wow! - The ‘Where to Fly’ app is exactly what my thoughts were!
The author AJ Torres has done a great job. but why has it stalled? - there has been no advance for 7 months - cash flow is a contributor, he’s asking for patrons to inject monthly cash.
That aside, the use of the basic app is free and does an exceptional job - I have tested it out and will be using it in the future, we just need more pilots getting involved and adding their favourite locations.

Wow! - The ‘Where to Fly’ app is exactly what my thoughts were!
The author AJ Torres has done a great job. but why has it stalled? - there has been no advance for 7 months - cash flow is a contributor, he’s asking for patrons to inject monthly cash.
That aside, the use of the basic app is free and does an exceptional job - I have tested it out and will be using it in the future, we just need more pilots getting involved and adding their favourite locations.

Why is it not doing that well? Simple, It relies on drone users revealing their favourite sites from which to fly but who wants to do that? And attract potentially hundreds of drone users to your favourite spot? Whilst the app means well, it's approaching the problem from the wrong direction IMO.

I'm a newbie here in the state of Michigan and LOVE your idea!! Currently, I'm looking for area's in my area Flint - Saginaw - Birch Run cities. Can't seem to find any....... It even appears that state land is hard to find. Please keep running with your plan!!!!! Ray

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian