DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Safe temperature to fly your drone?

The charging station does not charge hot batteries... you can sit them there and they wont start charging till they cool down to a acceptable temp... you pay for the smart battery tech use it... These are not the "dumb" packs for FPV drones where you need to pay more attention.

Now if your using a 3rd party charger I would watch out.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
The charging station does not charge hot batteries... you can sit them there and they wont start charging till they cool down to a acceptable temp... you pay for the smart battery tech use it.

Yeah the BMS, it’s kind of like what temp does it register ‘safe’ to start charging ?
If it’s 50c, or 40c, no matter . . . I think it’s prudent to just let them cool right off, then charge again.
Just a little extra precaution to keep them healthy long term.
Most probably fly their batteries once on an outing I would think, but of course if you really NEED that battery charged soonest again for a good reason, then occasionally it shouldn’t do any harm.

Hi, looking through the forums, I see the recommended max operating temp is 104 degree (40C). I also see folks reporting battery temps over 150f when flying in air temps well below that (e.g. 90F). Living in Texas, I'm wondering what other DJI owners use a real life temperature margin to protect the life of the drone and battery.

That's an important topic which needs more input from the community. I no longer fly at temps of over 94°f, 34.4°C. Above that and it seems my aircraft is no longer cooling. Batteries, 50-80 cycle units, are too hot to touch on the bottom and puffing always seems to begin with these events. Motors too hot to touch. I can get both readout numbers and spot surface temps if anyone was interested.. Bottom line, if it feels too hot, it very much is, IMHO. My gear is much too hot well below the manufacturer recommendations...
...and a problem we will have to face more in the future.

The hottest I've flown was right at 100 degF, early afternoon, hot Socal sun. I wasn't doing anything crazy, so the motors and batteries didn't even get that hot. Motors felt hot to the touch, which is normal and well within their operating range, the batteries only felt slightly warm. It probably knocked a cycle or two off the total battery life, but in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't a huge deal. The heat put more stress on me than it did on the drone.

Unless you are putting additional weight on the drone, or are flying at very high density altitudes, or have damaged/modified props, or doing something well outside the norm, the photo drones are limited by software tuning and aren't really capable of cranking out enough power to overload the motors and batteries.

I feel like by the time you get a temperature that's too dangerously hot, one of two things would prohibit you from being able to fly in the first place... your personal health being at risk, or the lack of ability to create lift due to such low air density.

Hello, I'm a Mavic 2 owner. The temperature to fly drones varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Or even product to product. Some manufacturers recommend not using drones below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. I personally try to follow this. Because extreme cold weather could cause the battery failure.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143