DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Samsung galaxy s8 as a dedicated phone

Randy the locator

Reactions
Hello
Has anybody purchased a refurbed unlocked Galxy s8 strickly for using to fly your drone ? If so were did you buy it from,

i am looking for a dedicated cell phone without a plan to fly drones and seems like the s8 is quite popular

Thanks

I recently upgraded my phone from an S5 to an S9. I think the S8 & S9 are not that much different. I started my drone flying with my phone and it was pretty good. I just upgraded to an iPad Mini 4 for increased screen size. Any specific questions, feel free to ask.

I'm using S8 as my 'daily driver' and also for flying - runs very good plus the screen max brightness is close to 1000 nits which makes it sufficiently visible even in direct sunlight.

Reactions: bushie
Depending on prices it might be worth looking for a Note 8 which is the same internal hardware but you get a slightly larger screen which is also slightly flatter which means the curved screen edge are steeper and make it slightly better for options near the edge.

I have a iPhone 8 Plus that works great. I paid 400 but they can had for less this year. It fits in the mavic case with everything I need to grab and go.

Hello
Has anybody purchased a refurbed unlocked Galxy s8 strickly for using to fly your drone ? If so were did you buy it from,

i am looking for a dedicated cell phone without a plan to fly drones and seems like the s8 is quite popular

Thanks
I used my Galaxy S8 with my Mavic 2 Pro until I got the SC, I had no problems at all.

I recently upgraded my phone from an S5 to an S9. I think the S8 & S9 are not that much different. I started my drone flying with my phone and it was pretty good. I just upgraded to an iPad Mini 4 for increased screen size. Any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Is the ipad THAT much better than the phone, does it fit in the controller or do I also need to purchase a iPad holder bracket thingy, also can you use the ipad WITHOUT a cell plan ?

If not too late, I would suggest just get the regular S9. The battery is much better (I own both and have used them for flying for a while now).

With refurbished phones, its pretty much a lottery, the same way any new mass produced item is. Just find a dral which you can afford (to lose) and go for it. If the phone lasts long, then good for you and if not, tough luck.

I would not try the Note 8 as my wife had it and we had to upgrade to the Note 9 (battery draining too fast).

When I say bettery issues, this refers to the normal discharge when using, not that it had faults. Just the 9's had better life in them vs the 8's.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman