DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Samsung galaxy s8 as a dedicated phone

Randy the locator

Reactions
Hello
Has anybody purchased a refurbed unlocked Galxy s8 strickly for using to fly your drone ? If so were did you buy it from,

i am looking for a dedicated cell phone without a plan to fly drones and seems like the s8 is quite popular

Thanks

I recently upgraded my phone from an S5 to an S9. I think the S8 & S9 are not that much different. I started my drone flying with my phone and it was pretty good. I just upgraded to an iPad Mini 4 for increased screen size. Any specific questions, feel free to ask.

I'm using S8 as my 'daily driver' and also for flying - runs very good plus the screen max brightness is close to 1000 nits which makes it sufficiently visible even in direct sunlight.

Reactions: bushie
Depending on prices it might be worth looking for a Note 8 which is the same internal hardware but you get a slightly larger screen which is also slightly flatter which means the curved screen edge are steeper and make it slightly better for options near the edge.

I have a iPhone 8 Plus that works great. I paid 400 but they can had for less this year. It fits in the mavic case with everything I need to grab and go.

Hello
Has anybody purchased a refurbed unlocked Galxy s8 strickly for using to fly your drone ? If so were did you buy it from,

i am looking for a dedicated cell phone without a plan to fly drones and seems like the s8 is quite popular

Thanks
I used my Galaxy S8 with my Mavic 2 Pro until I got the SC, I had no problems at all.

I recently upgraded my phone from an S5 to an S9. I think the S8 & S9 are not that much different. I started my drone flying with my phone and it was pretty good. I just upgraded to an iPad Mini 4 for increased screen size. Any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Is the ipad THAT much better than the phone, does it fit in the controller or do I also need to purchase a iPad holder bracket thingy, also can you use the ipad WITHOUT a cell plan ?

If not too late, I would suggest just get the regular S9. The battery is much better (I own both and have used them for flying for a while now).

With refurbished phones, its pretty much a lottery, the same way any new mass produced item is. Just find a dral which you can afford (to lose) and go for it. If the phone lasts long, then good for you and if not, tough luck.

I would not try the Note 8 as my wife had it and we had to upgrade to the Note 9 (battery draining too fast).

When I say bettery issues, this refers to the normal discharge when using, not that it had faults. Just the 9's had better life in them vs the 8's.