DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Samsung Galaxy S9 & S9+

Yes - Mine is definitely the S9 +.

I see no problems with it. Keeping in mind only two batteries flown so far. But I am confident the talk about the light sensor being blocked is a non issue. As you can clearly see it is not obsucured by the a arms. I had to post an overexposed image so as you can see the hidden sensors.

I had the opportunity to fly al three batteries consecutively this morning using my S9+.

Only one hiccup, which was a DJIGo4 app disconnect midway through the first. App reporting AC disconnected when in reality it was only the USB link between the RC and APP. Could not re establish this connection without first flying it home landing and restarting the RC. However this was almost certainly caused by me launching DJIGo4 from the Icon after the USB lead was connected. Instead of my long standing methodology of launching in response to the USB connect prompt and pressing "Just this Once" ( I have multiple flight apps). This has never failed me with my S7e and I will stick to using this method for reliabilty with the S9+ from now on.

One of the flights was a 9km route around a farm with Litchi. The rest was with DJIGo4 taking video, stills and panos. All 3 batteries down to 10% and RC battery ended up just over 25% which was a little lower than I had hoped. So some will find this abit tight I guess.

Again the screen was great. Overcast day here so could not really test full brightness vs sunlight. However there was no need fro me even touch brightness controls. On the old S7e I was in the habit of setting manually full bright every flight.

I suppose only criticism I have is that the upper edge of the screen sits in a ittle too tight to the underneath of the RC making it a little fiddly to interact with the menu bar. But is still totally do-able.

Reactions: Cimriver
Well a week on an maybe another 10 flights or so.

Unfortunately a disturbing trend of DJIGo4 disconnects. Even after Launching the app by USB association. I suspect the trigger might be phone notifications arriving but not too sure yet. So flight mode would fix this, but dont want to have to do this. At least after a few seconds it is offering the USB App pick screen to choose DJIGo4 again. But frustrating to have the disconnects and have to fly back using RC telemetry. There is no doubt a setting somewhere in nead of a teak to prevent this occurring.

Anyone got any thoughts on using the new S9 series from Samsung?

My S7 edge will be 2 years old next month. It has been terrific. Only complaint is the screen size with my aging eyes (mid 50s) & brightess in sunlight outdoors. So I am considering a larger screen. The S9+ is 6.2" screen. Wheras the S9 is 5.8" and my my S7 edge 5.5".

Perhaps it is not a large enough jump in screen to justify the upgrade. Any way what are peoples thoughts on using the the S9 series with DJIGo4 and the Mavic. I expect it should be fine but would like to know what other Android users think.
The S9 series use USB-C micro to connect so may need a different cable for them, My S9+ screams, so I assume juice will not be an issue. I use a dedicated iPad, so I have not tried the S9+.

Yes it needs a different cable, but it is included with the Mavic. Takes 1 minute to swap and is much easier to connect than the mini USB.

I had the opportunity to fly al three batteries consecutively this morning using my S9+.

Only one hiccup, which was a DJIGo4 app disconnect midway through the first. App reporting AC disconnected when in reality it was only the USB link between the RC and APP. Could not re establish this connection without first flying it home landing and restarting the RC. However this was almost certainly caused by me launching DJIGo4 from the Icon after the USB lead was connected. Instead of my long standing methodology of launching in response to the USB connect prompt and pressing "Just this Once" ( I have multiple flight apps). This has never failed me with my S7e and I will stick to using this method for reliabilty with the S9+ from now on.

One of the flights was a 9km route around a farm with Litchi. The rest was with DJIGo4 taking video, stills and panos. All 3 batteries down to 10% and RC battery ended up just over 25% which was a little lower than I had hoped. So some will find this abit tight I guess.

Again the screen was great. Overcast day here so could not really test full brightness vs sunlight. However there was no need fro me even touch brightness controls. On the old S7e I was in the habit of setting manually full bright every flight.

I suppose only criticism I have is that the upper edge of the screen sits in a ittle too tight to the underneath of the RC making it a little fiddly to interact with the menu bar. But is still totally do-able.
Make sure that you have changed the battery settings on the phone to not put GO4 to sleep.

Make sure that you have changed the battery settings on the phone to not put GO4 to sleep.
Thanks for the suggestion. Have done that, but don’t see that as the cause. The phone only sleeps background apps and GO4 is very much in th foreground and has never been put to sleep. I see it is as something to do with the USB system getting interrupted by notifications.

Any updates on how the S9+ is holding up? I've seen several posts any DJI GO4 not being very reliable on Android devices, but I'm not really sure which android device that's referring to.

Have been using the S9+ now since it has been out without any issues. My son also has the S9+ and we both have Mavic Pro's and Mavic Air's. Oh and almost forgot the Spark. No disconnects and the view in sun light is really good, better than anything that I have tried so far.
Now for the phone, the camera is really good, still's and Video's are excellent. Have taken video and stills and produced short movies and on a 80 inch 4K TV the picture are excellent. You can get right up close to the screen and the picture is still crisps. So for us the S9+ is the best phone out there. Oh and wife has the S9 and also take same grade pictures. Hope this helps...

My S9+ is still disconnecting from the Remote control on about every second flight. Usually in the first minute or two. It is no big deal to reconnect. I simply power cycle the remote control and it reconnects. I then cancel the RTH that has triggered and carry on with my flight. My S9+ has the Exynos CPU, not the Qualcomm CPU variant common to USA. Not sure if that makes any difference.

I expect this is an issue DJI are aware of, as they they have not put it on their mysterious Compatible device list. No doubt they will when they fix it. 18 months ago when I had a S7edge it was initially plagued with app disconnects too. Something got fixed, the problems went away as it was deemed compatible by DJI.

So in answer to your Question @Bugg77, as you can see peoples experiences with this phone vary. I have found it to be a good phone. Apart from the App Disconnects, the screen is really bright and clear. The curved edges make it somewhat more difficult to tap and use the top edge menu items. Also I have found the screen scratches way too easily so out a screen protector on it.

The Mavic rotates on the spot taking a series of images (32 in this case). You then stitch them together using a tool to make the 360 pano.

thanks so much for all the info i got here about S9+ as i have an S8+ and been thinking to upgrade my phone. lots of useful info found. may i ask some other questions in case i would have some?

Hi all

I'm new to the forum, but considering to purchase a Mavic Air. My current phone is an S9, not Plus, and wanted to know if there are compatibility issues? I see many flew with the S9 Plus, but not so much the S9. I don't wish to buy another phone for the sake of a drone, and cannot imagine that the S9 won't be up to par considering it's popularity. Any feedback will be welcome.

Thanks

Myself and my son both have the Mavic Air and Mavic Pro's. We upgraded from Samsung S8 to S9+ and both drones work great. The S9 should also work great. The screen on the S9 is by far the best screen I have used for viewing in the sun. So the S9 is a great phone and the videos and photos are the best over all the phones I have had. Hope this helps....

Myself and my son both have the Mavic Air and Mavic Pro's. We upgraded from Samsung S8 to S9+ and both drones work great. The S9 should also work great. The screen on the S9 is by far the best screen I have used for viewing in the sun. So the S9 is a great phone and the videos and photos are the best over all the phones I have had. Hope this helps....
Thank you. Appreciate the feedback. Looks like I will proceed to buy the Air.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929